United Kingdom might not exist in a decade, half of UK citizens think - poll

snoop1130

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

If he stirs it well enough, a chef doesn't need to consume the entire pot of soup to know how it tastes.

No but the chef wont know if its burnt at the bottom of the pot unless he does actually eat the entire pot.

These polls are always next to useless.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

no

EU will be same same, UK is not part of Europe, Brits only go there (Europe) for holiday ....

Tourist Visa reqd ? ..

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yesterday I rode my bike down hill at a speed of 72.6Kms/hour.

I am absolutely certain in my belief I could crash and get killed or badly injured. This certainty is reflected in the care I take while wizzing along.

If I believed I will crash, I’d be a fool to even set off.

Chomper and the art of motorcycle maintenance 

11 hours ago, Caledonia Boy said:

Things have changed dramatically since 5 years ago. Wouldn't you agree?

Hence my comment...why not have a referendum every two years or even every year as things can change dramatically in a short period of time..but we all know its just not logical to do that. In fact why can't the English have a referendum to see if they still want to allow Scotland in the UK...its all a one way street with devolution

12 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I'm for a two step referendum - one to determine whether you want to leave and the second once the details are known and fully costed at the time the people again have the final say. I don't believe the SNP currently has this as their policy. 

And if the result is not the one that one wants, why, it was only advisory!

Whatever happens it's hardly going to make much difference. It's not 'united' as it is regardless of any Brexit referendum.

It's quite an achievement to hear English spoken especially in large parts of London and other cities. It's hard to unite with people when you have nothing in common with them.

Few of them know what the poppy signifies let alone do they have a clue why a tiny minority of us wear one every November.

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Hence my comment...why not have a referendum every two years or even every year as things can change dramatically in a short period of time..but we all know its just not logical to do that. In fact why can't the English have a referendum to see if they still want to allow Scotland in the UK...its all a one way street with devolution

There's a Welsh Assembly, a Scottish Assembly and a Northern Irish Assembly.

Yet there's no English Assembly.

11 hours ago, elliss said:

Good point.

Given the demise of the  British Empire ,  and the SNP , keen to  remove itself from the UK.

Should Wales , decide to follow,  what remains of the the UK.. 

Little england ...

England would still be far bigger, geographically, economically and in terms of population than the sum of the Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland.

As an Englishman I am ambivalent on the matter - not least because the way in which the debate and likely political process will be conducted, if the UK is to be broken up, is unlikely to allow me to express an opinion. Perhaps I might point out that there is much debate about the economic viability of Scotland (I think that it would survive but its capacity to spend will be much reduced); and Northern Ireland (which is economically dependent on funding from the UK) will have to find the money from elsewhere, whether it becomes independent or joins the Republic.

According to "Eurostat" England is the world's 8th largest economy (just behind France, and ahead of Italy) as opposed to the 6th largest for the UK as a whole (between India (5th), and France, 7th) by the usual criteria -  Scotland's economy, for comparison, would be roughly the size of Hungary's (54th). I think "Little England" would survive. 

Then of course there is the hoary old question of which currency will be used by the newly independent nations. Assuming that they will all wish to join the EU it will inevitably (eventually) be the Euro - good luck with that - but in the meantime, will they create their own or use Sterling? Good luck with that as well

14 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

If he stirs it well enough, a chef doesn't need to consume the entire pot of soup to know how it tastes.

Whilst it doesn't matter how long you shake the can of soup, you will never know how it tastes without opening it.

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

In fact why can't the English have a referendum to see if they still want to allow Scotland in the UK...its all a one way street with devolution

I am sure that you did not mean to load your comment with arrogance, but, objectively, can you see how arrogant it actually is?

For the confused, the UK does not belong to England, and therefore England does not get to decide who is in and who is out of the tent. 

I think that in the future we will still be there ,but as immigration from the poorer parts of the world become a tsunami ,we would never recognize it if we were to go there,it will not be the country i was born into ,And before anyone screams racist etc ,my dad came fro Europe to fight for Britain ,but he did not bring his "ways" and religion with him ,he became BRITISH. and so were we his kids ,unlike what seems to be coming now .

40 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Whatever happens it's hardly going to make much difference. It's not 'united' as it is regardless of any Brexit referendum.

It's quite an achievement to hear English spoken especially in large parts of London and other cities. It's hard to unite with people when you have nothing in common with them.

Few of them know what the poppy signifies let alone do they have a clue why a tiny minority of us wear one every November.

And even those who do wear a poppy show it such disrespect! What is the country coming to???

Mogg poppy.jpg

13 hours ago, Caledonia Boy said:

Things have changed dramatically since 5 years ago. Wouldn't you agree?

Of course things have changed in the past five years and only a fool would argue otherwise However, the perception of any of this change being at all 'dramatic' is questionable. I would be more amenable to debate the suggestion that there may have been a 'fundamental' change.

1 hour ago, vogie said:
15 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Whilst it doesn't matter how long you shake the can of soup, you will never know how it tastes without opening it.

Pithy... maybe it's Cullen Skink in that wee can, naw?

Apart frae that, it's obvious that ye cannae stir ony soup while it's still in the microwave.

12 hours ago, tebee said:
15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It doesn't?

No, it doesn't

Can you give me a few of your ideas why "the UK doesn't work well for anybody within it, whether they be English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish"?

My two-word question was meant to elicit some degree of validation of the above claim, whether it be from yourself or the member who originally offered it. I am particularly interested in the claim that it doesn't work well for anybody within it.

16 hours ago, NightSky said:

Im a British citizen and tax payer and no one asked me for my opinion on this so called 'poll'

Its horse manure.

If the entire Kingdom had been asked (polled) in 2014 the jocks would have achieved their (SNP) aim at the first attempt.

25 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Of course things have changed in the past five years and only a fool would argue otherwise However, the perception of any of this change being at all 'dramatic' is questionable. I would be more amenable to debate the suggestion that there may have been a 'fundamental' change.

'Fundamental' in this context is subjective.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

And even those who do wear a poppy show it such disrespect! What is the country coming to???

Mogg poppy.jpg

The Poppy can be worn anywhere as per the RBL website although I would not be at all surprised to see the Mogg sporting one commemorating Wellingtons victory @Waterloo ????

20 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Can you give me a few of your ideas why "the UK doesn't work well for anybody within it, whether they be English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish"?

My two-word question was meant to elicit some degree of validation of the above claim, whether it be from yourself or the member who originally offered it. I am particularly interested in the claim that it doesn't work well for anybody within it.

Apologies for my slow response. 

That there is a stark difference in political perspectives has been clear for some time, but the most recent polling shows just how far apart Scottish and English perspectives actually are. Of course, it is an entirely valid view that this is simply the effect of representative democracy, however when it is also clear that the tail (as one of our TV friends has referred to Scotland) can never wag the dog, but must always follow the direction the dog chooses to take, you could ask yourself, quite reasonably, whether you want to remain without influence in the journey you are taking.   

As for the rest of the UK, well apparently Scotland is subsidised by English taxpayers so we would lift that burden from their weary shoulders. Our non-Tory MPs are considered a nuisance in the HoC so we would remove that unwanted intrusion in the mother of parliaments (and there are expected to be a lot more of them come the New Year). And our courts have thrown a spanner in the Brexit works that brought a halt to the PM's cunning plan. 

See - Scotland out of the UK would solve so many issues. 

yougov.JPG

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

I am trying to work out : How can a person "believe" that something "could" happen .

Does that make sense ?

Surely you can only believe that something will happen, rather than just "could happen"?

I believe you could be right. heh.

But really, if I were going to flip a coin, I believe it could land on heads.

Archived