Financial Crisis Beginning in Thailand

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I disagree some empty hotels and restaurants at one location do not translate to your prognosis.

A "financial crisis"  ( I suggest you research the definition) is not beginning nor going to happen.

There has been a shift from Western-tourist-frequented hotels and restaurants to other venues in recent years, thanks to different tourists (nationalities/groups). As for the total, it's hard to say, whether there is a decline, or not.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Western tourism In Thailand has declined to a negligible number of tourists with real money to spend.

Yup, just a negligible 4.9m westerners or so.....

Although Britain is 13,000 down from it's peak. Woe is Thailand at the lack of fighting beer boys from Bolton.

• Haha 2

Thailand is mostly geard up to the low to middle class tourists, and there are plenty of them but in Thailand like in Thailand, you have like 100 of thousands hotels, motels, guesthouses and all others in between and they all compete for the same number of tourists, and the whole industry surviving pretty much on a wing and prayer that the tourists will continue to come, however, the OP observation was in the low season, right about now hotels and airline seats are being booked up for the busy season...

They don't understand that more arrivals doesn't mean the total time of all tourists spent in Thailand increases as well.

Chinese people stay maybe 3-5 days in average in Thailand

Western tourists might stay 2 weeks in Thailand

So to replace one western tourist they need about 3 Chinese tourists.

It would be interesting to see how long the average tourist stays in Thailand and how this number changed over the years, but i doubt that's looking good for Thailand so they don't release this number.

• Like 2

Financial crisis.....indirectly yes, but not because of the lack of tourist numbers.  A global slowdown is underway with the purchase of Thai made goods which leads to redundancies in the factories.  Lets take the local lane I live in.   Starting from the East, North side.  First house derelict, second house daughter and Son-in-L redundant from factory in Rayong for months.  Son-in-L now transporting fruit for baht after M-in-L bought him a 3 ton pick-up. 3rd house daughter finished Polytechnic a year ago, still home. Wifes house, we got rid of her bludging daughter 2 months ago! 5th house my B-in-L eldest son doing a bit of tractor driving for pocket money, food and room....was working in a factory Chonburi.  6th house school kids.  7th house daughter finished uni 6 months ago now living at home with mum.  8th house lad conscripted into army with a year or so to go.  The South side of the lane is all oldies except for 2 families with school kids.  So with a shortage of young farm workers in the district there are some girls we would rather be swinging in a hammock than swinging a hoe....which probably says as much about the parents as the child!

8 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

just one picture I don't want to name the hotel.

h1.jpg

I know it ..

A night shot ..and about " The half naked ladies ..." they are not far on the left side of your photo :cheesy:

1460048341_DSCN2820_Pattaya_La_Piscine(Copy).thumb.JPG.9b9939794016d93f5107c739eb4c8432.JPG

delicious pizza at the restaurant and not expensive ..:thumbsup:

A financial crisis is nothing to do with empty hotel or numbers of tourists. A financial crisis like the GFC is to do with "printing money", 

Easy access to money or credit, that then funds an unrealistic or sustainable bubble.

The GFC was banks printing money to fund a real estate bubble, and the bubble burst.

Hotel occupancy or the price of bananas during the lead up to the GFC was largely irrelevant.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

They don't understand that more arrivals doesn't mean the total time of all tourists spent in Thailand increases as well.

Chinese people stay maybe 3-5 days in average in Thailand

Western tourists might stay 2 weeks in Thailand

So to replace one western tourist they need about 3 Chinese tourists.

It would be interesting to see how long the average tourist stays in Thailand and how this number changed over the years, but i doubt that's looking good for Thailand so they don't release this number.

If you google average tourist spend Thailand you'll see that Chinese tourists spend more on average than their western counterparts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1