Upcoming interview with British Ambassador to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

7 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I suspect the Ambassador would be happy if we all effed off to Da Phils or Vietnam and save him all the trouble. Embassy staff have their nice fat salaries, plus duty free privileges, extra overseas hardship pay, housing allowance, diplomatic passport so no customs checks and no visa problems etc etc etc. Dont bother us, nothing to see here.

When can we expect the answers to our questions?

• Like 1

Income Letters : - The Embassy is no longer issuing passports, so why wasn't the Income Letter work sub-contracted out, so that so incomes could be verified/guaranteed by a suitably qualified agency. Most of the work would be carried out by expats giving an Enduring POA to the agent, who would contact the pension provider and verify to bank statements. Pensions are paid for life, so only the 1st instance of verification would possibly be onerous. Based on the figures available, the work would generate about M3.5 bt pa. for a sub-contractor. All expats requiring an Income Letter should attend an interview, the same as for a passport.

State Pensions : -  Why can't pensioners who qualify in the UK from NI contributions and are current UK tax payers receive pension increases. Post Brexit, we should be treated the same as expats residing in EU countries.

• Like 1

Can you ask the Ambassador where the new Embassy Residence is? And is the cost/justification for it value for money/necessary for tax payers? (I am sure they will be criticized roundly when it becomes Public)

I am far from a critic of the Embassy and what they do, but i do find the current Ambassador even more political and looking out for himself and his future rather than the British Interest. I hope behind the scenes i am incorrect.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 5:24 PM, NanLaew said:

That's been done to death already. It aint gonna get the desired "We were wrong and apologize and will be reinstating it forthwith" answer no matter how many times you and everyone else asks it.

I see that unfreezing the Thai-domiciled UK pensioners inflation/cost of living adjustments is on the back burner again?

That and seeking more favorable treatment of bona fide Thai partners and dependents of UK citizens to get a visa and onto the UK residence roundabout instead of being lumped in with all and sundry with the assumption they are all going to freeload on the system.

How about a more proactive appeals system for applications that have been poorly processed?

Frozen UK state pensions and visas are nothing to do with the Foreign Office for whom the Ambassador works.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Can you ask the Ambassador where the new Embassy Residence is? And is the cost/justification for it value for money/necessary for tax payers? (I am sure they will be criticized roundly when it becomes Public)

I am far from a critic of the Embassy and what they do, but i do find the current Ambassador even more political and looking out for himself and his future rather than the British Interest. I hope behind the scenes i am incorrect.

Interesting question regarding residences. 

In the years that I've been here this Ambassador does seem the least representative of the various ones. From my observations he seems much more 'clicky" will certain members of the British Community who, shall we say, like to be chairman of this that and the other. Other Amabassadors have, IME, been more outreaching to a broader section of the community and kept more of a distance from this litter inner clique. Maybe he's following instructions. 

I have a Thai wife, married in Hong Kong under British Law before 1997, I'm over 65 and receive a single persons pension. Married over 30 years, no dependent children, live in Chiangmai.

My question “Who should I contact to see if my wife can be added to my pension in the hope to change my pension status to 'married'.

Many thanks.

I think most of us have an unrealistic expectation of what embassies are all about. I have no idea where "expats" fall in the embassies list of priorities, but I'd guess somewhere in the bottom 10% of any country's embassies duties. 

Trade, security, fostering goodwill, arranging diplomatic visits, hosting social & sporting functions would all be well above any expat issue. As soon as we expats realise we are a pain in the <deleted> to embassies the sooner we will understand asking an ambassador about income letters, health insurance & related matters is not on their agenda.

One only has to consider an expat who has been arrested & jailed for an "alleged" offence. The most you could expect your embassy to provide would be a suggested lawyer to contact.

Accept that we are an inconvenience, nuisance & and of little interest to embassies. We elected to emigrate, no one forced us.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 1:01 AM, Why Me said:

American here but my reading is that from Thailand's point of view expats are a decimal point in revenue benefit when compared to tourists and from the US embassies point of view we are a pain in the backside because we ask a lot of attention which again from a cost benefit point of view they would prefer to give to inter-government matters like trade deals and military exchanges.

I bet it's the same with the Brits. We just don't matter much to the powers that be. But we are citizens and pay taxes so whether they like it or not they have obligations. Good luck holding your Ambassador's feet to the fire.

I think your absolutely right. We were more of an inconvenience when the Consular Services handled more things for expats, like passport renewal etc. But now a lot of that has been subcontracted out (and for some things they recommend using a lawyer as it's cheaper!) were even more off their radar. 

British Expats used to be encouraged to register with the Foreign Office and local Embassy. Keep them updated on your whereabouts and pay attention to their on-line alerts etc. Now, quite frankly, seem simply not interested.

Most of the questions posted here cannot be answered by the ambassador as he doesn't have the clout.  He has to follow UK government policies.  He can do nothing to change that.

However, a simple question.

"When will his staff get around to answering e-mails.  Out of 3 sent over the last few months, I have yet to receive a reply!"

Can it please be pointed out to the Thai authorities, especially the ministry of tourism, that their new evisa application website is atrocious and very very user-unfriendly! Also the website email address provided for questions and assistance does not work from the UK! The UK Thai Consulates are unable to help, and the London embassy, if u can reach it by phone, are also unable or unwilling to do much to help. It must be costing Thailand big money in lost visitor revenue as so many must be abandoning their visa applications and travelling elsewhere.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 1:31 AM, DaRoadrunner said:

I suspect the Ambassador would be happy if we all effed off to Da Phils or Vietnam and save him all the trouble. Embassy staff have their nice fat salaries, plus duty free privileges, extra overseas hardship pay, housing allowance, diplomatic passport so no customs checks and no visa problems etc etc etc. Dont bother us, nothing to see here.

Edited yesterday at 01:32 AM by DaRoadrunner

And index linked pensions.

On 12/1/2019 at 10:05 AM, Sheryl said:

Is he aware that British expats retired here on OA visa if over 75 now have no legal way to remain due to a requirement for local insurance that is not available? And that it is being applied retroactively to people who have been here many years? And even to those who are patients in Thai nursing homes?

If a British citizen, for ANY reason, be it uninsurable due to ill health, too old, financial hardship etc. be forced to return to the U.K., what process or processes should the person undertake. Should they just arrive at an airport, declare that they are homeless and would the local authority have to take responsibility ? What are peoples rights? Is it possible for the British Embassy to gather relevant, up to date information and post it on their website for reference for anyone that may need it ?  Those are my questions. Thank you.                                                                                              

On 11/29/2019 at 3:59 PM, CharlieH said:

Why we were sold out down the river and totally abandoned over the withdrawal of the "income letter" and the lives it effected without any apparent care or concern to those British citizens effected by that decision.

@Jonathan Fairfield When the British Ambassador gives his well prepared stock answer, that the BE cannot varify income as required by the Thai authorities. Please can you follow up and question him why the German, French, Dutch etc etc etc can still provide a service that satisfies the Thais. Surely this can be re introduced in some form.