Tesco Lotus to stop giving out plastic straws

webfact

9 minutes ago, doctormann said:

However, can someone please explain to me just what this has to do with climate change.  

you are aware of how the plastic we consume is made?

and even if there is, as you say, a tenuous link at best, can you deny the issues with disposal of all the plastic manufactured, let alone the manufacturing process and resources consumed and byproducts created in that process?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

you are aware of how the plastic we consume is made?

and even if there is, as you say, a tenuous link at best, can you deny the issues with disposal of all the plastic manufactured, let alone the manufacturing process and resources consumed and byproducts created in that process?

As I said, I have no problem in reducing plastic usage and of course I'm aware of the pollution that just making the stuff causes.  We still need plastics though, just not for trivial purposes.

5 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Another idea. I have metal straw, can use more than 1 million time! 

We have these, unfortunately Madam doesn't like them but she does re-use plastic straws. If you don't chew the ends they're good for several weeks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Wow. So good. Look better the paper one.

i think not stuck the lip and stronger. Fish and worm can eat it!

maybe can use for other plastic thing. I hope so.

Good news really.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Yinn said:

In the future. Sure

Ok.

plastic come from oil. 

If use one time, must burn (bad for air), or put in the ground (methane), or it go ocean, kill the sea animal.

More than 100 year.

if use paper straw, can feed it to the worm. 10 days, it gone 100%. 

Another idea. I have metal straw, can use more than 1 million time! 

Thankyou for your coperation.

9393F91E-FD4F-4CA6-9979-6AF1681A7493.jpeg

Suggest you research carefully the environmental impact on the manufacture of, plastic straws, paper straws and stainless steel straws - each has an impact on the environment  - and then compare the environmental impact on each if indiscriminately disposed of - paper of steel have less impact but are not impact free. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Tesco to stop giving out plastic straws

How can life go on in Thailand without a plastic straw? Sucking liquid through a plastic straw is a national pastime. It is in your face everywhere, every day and by just about everybody.

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

We have these, unfortunately Madam doesn't like them but she does re-use plastic straws. If you don't chew the ends they're good for several weeks.

Why would you even need a straw at home?

Edited by metempsychotic

14 hours ago, doctormann said:

Controlling plastic usage is probably not a bad thing as it does seem to have got out of control.

However, can someone please explain to me just what this has to do with climate change.  By all means, let's cut down on pollution of all sorts - no argument about that being a good thing.  Just don't expect this to 'cure' the natural changes in climate that have been happening for millions of years.  The link between pollution - even CO2 levels, if you want to class this essential atmospheric component as a pollutant - and climate change is tenuous at best.

Do you think plastic bags grow on trees?