Transferwise. WOW!!

Did a transfer via Transferwise GBP to THB about ten minutes ago. Money was sent 32 seconds after they received my online bank transfer.

Money is already in my BKKBK account when I checked.  Never had that fast before. Must be some kind of record!

Edited by phetphet
corrected typo.
  • Like 1

Just now, petermik said:

I usually transfer money in GBP through the Halifax online £9.50 for any amount takes 3 days.....checked with transferwise earlier and they want £58 to transfer £10,000........<deleted>?

Did Halifax  a few days ago, took a little under 18 hrs from action to receipt in a Thai bank. (just for comparison purposes ????)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

What folks dont seem to understand is the Fx rate is better... So the bank version with 'low fees' has a hidden higher fee.. 

Thats less applicable to usd, but eur and GBP its very evident. 

check what the bank's TT rate is and factor that into your calculation, it's normally not that attractive.

• Like 1

Transferwise transfer is pretty fast.   I sent some money from US bank to Indian associate and it got there in 4 hours (fully posted to his receiving account in that time)

To Thailand it depends on the time of day.   But it is in the Thai bank early in the morning (05:00-06:30ish GMT+7).   One time it took 36 hours.   But it was sent too late Friday and had to go through the weekend.

And you get an email/app alert when it is there.   

And they are very clear about the exact cost you pay and what you receive.  

Now their Borderless account is a bit sluggish to post incoming wires.  Will have to test that a bit more.   And also, they say there are no incoming wire fees, but some "intermediary" [bank] snatched $18 from the final credit amount.   It always seems to be a huge mystery as to who/why these fees are charged.

Perhaps it is best to use local currencies to get funds into borderless account (from other people) when possible.   For example, it might have been cheaper/faster to convert to EUR, deposit into EUR borderless acct, then do additional conversion and/or send onwards to final destination.

Edited by 4evermaat

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

check what the bank's TT rate is and factor that into your calculation, it's normally not that attractive.

That is exactly my point.. 

TW has a better fx rate than the TT buying rate of Thai banks, for sure on GBP and EUR, less so on USD. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

Did a transfer via Transferwise GBP to THB about ten minutes ago. Money was sent 32 seconds after they received my online bank transfer.

Money is already in my BKKBK account when I checked.  Never had that fast before. Must be some kind of record!

what rate did you get

14 minutes ago, steve187 said:

what rate did you get

Check out this TransferWise-link, it gives you the present mid-rate exchange rate which they apply and on top of which they add their relatively small service charge.

https://transferwise.com/gb/currency-converter/eur-to-thb-rate?amount=1

You can change easily from Euro to GBP to US$ ....

On the site you can also see the evolution of the exchange rate you selected over 1 or 3 months.

Attached below the 3-month evolution of the Euro-Bath mid-rate exchange (today close to best rate of last 3 months)

image.png.891667566d23cdf8c319a8ef9a20b345.png

Edited by Peter Denis

11 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

The difference between Transferwise and say, Bangkok Bank receiving rate is approx 0.4 baht. For £10,000 that would be a loss of 4000 baht(£98.51). 

Transferwise charge of £58.90 not looking that bad now eh?

But wait, that's not it. Bangkok Bank will charge another 500 baht to receive the money, so now that is 4500 baht in fees and commissions. So a total of £110.90

This is why it paid to pay attention whilst at school. ????  £52 cheaper to send via Transferwise.

But no! That's still not it, because you paid £9.50 to send the money, so now you are up to £121.40 with your Halifax/Bangkok Bank transfer.

So Transferwise £61.50 cheaper. Less than half the cost.

Transferwise charge of 0.589%, Halifax/Bangkok Bank charge of 1.214%.

But I aint transfering to Bangkok Bank....why assume that :whistling:

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, petermik said:

But I aint transfering to Bangkok Bank....why assume that :whistling:

If not Bangkok Bank then where?

Bangkok Bank usually offer the best TT rates of all the Thai Banks, so chances are you're even worse off.

For example this evening's TT rates.

2019-12-13 19_37_16-Bank foreign currency exchange rates - Compare currency exchange rates across ba.jpg

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

what rate did you get

£1,000 @40.6548 minus fee £7.00. Received THB40,370.22.

The pound continued to rise further for a little while, then dropped back. 

I received THB39,651.38 for the same £1,000 last Monday.

• Like 2

For GBP to THB, TransferWise will always beat a SWIFT transfer due to the differing exchange rates, this negates the apparent saving in fees.

Also, with TW, you know exactly what you are getting when you make the transfer, a SWIFT transfer is converted on arrival at the Thai bank so you could win or lose 

Do your sums folks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fat Controller said:

Also, with TW, you know exactly what you are getting when you make the transfer, a SWIFT transfer is converted on arrival at the Thai bank so you could win or lose 

I have also kept a very close eye on this and mysteriously always seem to receive a rate that was at the lows of the day, statistically that seems unlikely so expect the banks are gaming the system as you cannot actually prove the moment the Fx sum arrives to them. 

So had that little margin into the hidden fees they can load you with.. TW may have fees but they are very clear and you get, to the satang, what your told you will get. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 5:58 AM, petermik said:

I usually transfer money in GBP through the Halifax online £9.50 for any amount takes 3 days.....checked with transferwise earlier and they want £58 to transfer £10,000........<deleted>?

Yes but why dont you do a bottom line comparison (dummy transfer) with a Halifax account (which I have) and TW

Halifax amount with land at Telegraphic Transfer rates whilst TW lands at Interbank rates (somewhat higher)

You can do the dummy by going to receiving banks website and see the current TT rate and doing the bottom line math

If you use TW Monday through Thursday the money now lands virtually instantly (seconds)