My Trip to Vientiane to get an O Visa

2 minutes ago, notrub said:

14 12 2019

Your introduction stated that you were refused retirement visa renewal because you did not have health insurance.  At the immigration office in Buriram they told me a few weeks ago that I would not need health insurance to renew my ret. visa in January.  Was the decision to require you to have health insurance a local one or has something changed nationally that will affect us all? 

I get a bit nervous when I read about experiences such as yours.  I have learned that 'be prepared' only works when they don't change the rules which, as we all know, they do from time to time.   

Thanks in advance for any comments you may have.

He had an O-A visa which you must have insurance for, an O visa you do not need insurance...at this time

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

He had an O-A visa which you must have insurance for, an O visa you do not need insurance...at this time

regards Worgeordie

He did not require health insurance 12 yr ago when he obtained O-A. That visa expired 11 yr ago. For some time he has been obtaining annual extensions to his permission of stay. Not his original visa.

As I stated above this retrospective application is a nonsense. Personally I believe Thai imm will realize this is just c""p with a captical C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, sadly I think many imm office are adopting the same approach as per your experience. I guess reports have been made regarding CW. If they also are applying this incorrect interpretation then Vientiane amount many other consulates will be extremely busy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

He did not require health insurance 12 yr ago when he obtained O-A. That visa expired 11 yr ago. For some time he has been obtaining annual extensions to his permission of stay. Not his original visa.

As I stated above this retrospective application is a nonsense. Personally I believe Thai imm will realize this is just c""p with a captical C.

Annual extensions are an extension of your original visa so he was in Thailand on OA....even now I have to provide copies of a 9 year old Non O visa when I want a re entry or residence letter

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Annual extensions are an extension of your original visa so he was in Thailand on OA....even now I have to provide copies of a 9 year old Non O visa when I want a re entry or residence letter

This has been discussed many times. 

You have your take on it and others have a different opinion.

Fact is Visas cannot be extended 

One can apply for extension to current "permission of stay". The basis for that application can perhaps start with say retirement. Then after marriage change to ME. Upon parent of Thai child become based on parent of Thai etc.

• Thanks 2

What a mess. Conflicting info.

Next week a mate will walk in to Jomtien trying to get his yearly extension based on retirement.

Entered on Non O-A in 2010, never left the country.

I wish him good luck but already prepared him with all necessary info to get a Non-O in Laos.

Will surely report the outcome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Please explain. For RC you will need most likely tm30 and lease. Perhaps reentry permit. For sure not your original non o or whatever. A re-entry permit requires your current "permission of stay" along with most recent entry stamp. Also tm6.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I was replying to Notrub, he thought he would be refused an extension because he had no insurance,

so i was explaining to him he would not require insurance if he had O visa ,you only need insurance if

you have an O-A visa

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Please explain. For RC you will need most likely tm30 and lease. Perhaps reentry permit. For sure not your original non o or whatever. A re-entry permit requires your current "permission of stay" along with most recent entry stamp. Also tm6.

I got two residence letters from Jomtien in February for Driving  renew el...thought I had everything copied regarding passport and entry stamps etc...nope, was told to go and get a photo copy of the original Non O from Penang years ago

It is stupid how immigration view it and it shouldn't be like that as you said you could change the reason from marriage, working or retirement but I understand the reasoning behind why they ask

Edited by baansgr

17 hours ago, billsmart said:

A bank statement showing you have had a balance of at least THB 100K for at least the prior six months. This requirement is shown as only applying to multiple entry visas, but they wanted it for my single-entry. I did take one just in case so I was okay.

do you mean a paper on bank heading that talks about the money

or a copy of a bankbook with recent deposit like immigration asks ?

Edited by justin case
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

The OP got a Non O based on marriage.... What would be the needed paperwork for a Non O based on retirement?... If they are still offering that as an option?

They want 800k baht a bank or proof of 65k baht income, a medical certificate and a police clearance certificate (it can be one for here).

21 hours ago, billsmart said:

ot back from Vientiane, Laos where I got a new, 90-day, Non-Immigrant Type O visa based on Marriage to replace my 12-year-old Type O-A visa with which I was recently denied a one-year extension because I did not have health insurance even though I was asking for an extension based on Marriage. I promised I’d give a brief account of my experience in case anyone out there is thinking about doing the same.

First of all, if you are thinking about getting a new visa in Vientiane, you should check out at least two websites:

What? Do they they really require 100K in the bank for 6 months even for single entry based on marriage now?

18 hours ago, baansgr said:

Annual extensions are an extension of your original visa so

No, annual extensions are extensions of your permission to stay.  The reason you need a re-entry permit to re-enter Thailand while on an extension of stay is because you no longer have a visa.

The issue with insurance arises if you originally entered on an O-A visa even though it has since expired.

Edited by Suradit69

38 minutes ago, Vyhod said:

What? Do they they really require 100K in the bank for 6 months even for single entry based on marriage now?

That is what is shown on the appointment website but it does not appear on the actual embassy website.

No sure they are asking for it when a non-o visa application is done. They would accept the proof even if was not required,

21 hours ago, notrub said:

At the immigration office in Buriram they told me a few weeks ago that I would not need health insurance to renew my ret. visa in January.

Got the same info from the same office this Friday. So they haven't changed their mind (yet?).

In case they did by the time you get your yearly extension, they can issue a 60 days one, so plenty of time to get organized.

My wife was doing the talking, and with a bit of hindsight I get the feeling they came to understand that forcing people to convert to non-O would only give them more work.

Edited by Momofarang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, religious monga said:

last i went it cost 15 baht on the cross bridge bus and 8000 kip on the bus into vientiane.

or 30 baht tuktuk to train station or 70 baht tuktuk into nong kai on the thai side

Yes, you can do that all yourself and don't NEED a "handler." You could probably walk all the way if you wanted for free. I just found his services very useful and worth the THB 800 (THB 1,000 with tip).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, notrub said:

14 12 2019

Your introduction stated that you were refused retirement visa renewal because you did not have health insurance.  At the immigration office in Buriram they told me a few weeks ago that I would not need health insurance to renew my ret. visa in January.  Was the decision to require you to have health insurance a local one or has something changed nationally that will affect us all? 

I get a bit nervous when I read about experiences such as yours.  I have learned that 'be prepared' only works when they don't change the rules which, as we all know, they do from time to time.   

Thanks in advance for any comments you may have.

Is your renewal to from an  original O or O. A Visa? I am also up in January for ext/ret at Buriram and original visa was  O.A .

Edited by Dumbastheycome

On 12/14/2019 at 4:27 PM, billsmart said:

I hired a “handler” when I got out of my car and was glad I did.

Where did you leave your car? 

How much did they charge you for parking and was it a safe area to leave your vehicle? 

Thanks in advance Bill.