How much cash do you carry?

NAoZ

I have a smaller wallet, more like a coin pouch with a few slits for around 8 bills and 2-3 cards. I need to quarter fold the bills. Will it be enough for daily use in Thai or would a standard sized wallet be better?

Back here I pay everything by cards but Thailand is still a cash driven economy. How many coins and notes do you usually have in your wallet?

• Haha 1

Never bother with coins...dead weight. I carry two lots of notes one being up to B2000 which is the easy access for right there and in a wallet in my front pockets. And another few thousand tucked away in clothing. And international drivers license for ID especially for aggressive road cops. Stuff letting them have my passport. Always leave it at home or out of sight in car. Never had an issue with my wallet being targeted but rather have been aware of being targeted more than once for high value gear like expensive cameras and laptops. Having said that once in Kanchanaburi wondered off into the market with car parked beside tuktuk stand with back windows left down and cameras and laptop and IPad on back seat. Came back a lot later to a lecture from the tuktuk drivers who kept an eye on to be not so forgetful. Good and bad no matter where you go. 

I have a small Hello Kitty zipper purse where I wrap a couple thousand baht notes and maybe a 500 baht note around important pieces of plastic like my Bangkok Bank ATM card, my U.S. credit union-issued Visa card, a couple local hospital ID cards, my insurance ID card, movie senior discount cards, etc -- all held together with a couple rubber bands.  Classy, na?  The rubber bands around this bundle and/or the Hellow Kitty purse often amuses people since I'm a mature lady.

The purse also contains a generous supply of 20s and 100s, grouped together and folded in half, along with a small comb and lipstick.  Plus, a few lose coins in the bottom.  

If possible, I pay with the 20s and 100s when I'm out and about.  Once a week Hubby or I make a trip to the bank to get some 1000s changed into 100s and 20s so we don't have to ask local business to make change for us.  Less opportunity for them to make a mistake in giving us back change.

I used to have keys and building ID card attached, but dropped those when I figured out that all the building security people know me and will let me in and we installed an electronic fingerprint lock for our condo door because Hubby kept leaving his keys either in the condo when he went out or in the door lock when he came home.  Better to be keyless.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:35 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

You only need notes. But make sure you have always enough 100B and 20B notes.

Most of the time I pay in supermarkets etc. with 1000B notes to be sure I have enough small money for taxis, street food, etc.

Don't rely on your taxi driver being able or willing to change your money.

That is absolutely bang on, it's exactly what I do.

I also only take enough dosh for what I'm going out to buy. So shopping = 2000, Mom-N-Pop-Shop for Changs = 200 etc.

I have a "travel wallet" with a chain which locks onto my belt. And it's very discreet.

Edited by PhilAtUbon
  • Like 2