How much cash do you carry?

NAoZ

On 12/24/2019 at 4:35 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Most of the time I pay in supermarkets etc. with 1000B notes to be sure I have enough small money for taxis, street food, etc.

I do that also as bank withdrawals disgorge in 1K notes. Never count on vendors & street sellers to have more than basic small item change..

Whilst I have a couple Banks cards. I never use them for direct purchases (online yes). Always cash.

• Like 1

I carry about 1000 Bahts in my wallet. The real cash is always in the back pockets of my pants, buttoned or zipped. I never draw less than 20k from the ATMs. That's what one needs in Thailand for a couple of days. I use credit cards for hotels.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Same here, my wife carries it all,and considering that she dresses up like a Mayanmar dock worker half the time with a big floppy hat, she rarely gets a look-in in the being mugged category

Durian farmer is one of my wifes quotes 

That depends on where you live. I live in a rural area, and my biggest concern is to have lower-denomination notes, like 20s and 100s. Many places where I live cannot make change for a 1,000-baht note. Also, ATMs are readily available, even out here. All 7-11s seem to have one, and they're popping up even in the smallest of towns.

Also, nothing is very expensive, so carrying around a lot of cash isn't necessary. Most high-priced items are sold by stores near the urban areas which do take bank debit cards.

To answer you question, I rarely carry more than 1,000 unless I have withdrawn that for a special purchase or payment.

• Like 2

I've always carried a normal folded leather wallet in my trouser pocket. Never had a problem, ever. Really can't understand what some of you are fussing about, unless you go out to/live in some really dodgy places.

I use credit cards for any purchases over 1,000 baht (restaurants, stores, petrol, etc) and cash for everything else.

Just checked contents: have 18 cards in it - 2x credit, 2x ATM, DL, 2x hospital, 2x insurance, 9x store discount cards. I draw 20,000 baht cash from the ATM each time (most kept at home) and keep about 6,000 baht in my wallet daily, unless going to Makro in which case 10,000 cash (groceries bill in Makro typically 3-6,000 baht a time). None of it folded - jeez, what's that all about?

That said, this is for normal everyday use. I would definitely not carry all this on me if I was out at night in 'entertainment' areas. In that case it would be no cards and just enough cash for the purpose.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I've always carried a normal folded leather wallet in my trouser pocket. Never had a problem, ever. Really can't understand what some of you are fussing about, unless you go out to/live in some really dodgy places.

I use credit cards for any purchases over 1,000 baht (restaurants, stores, petrol, etc) and cash for everything else.

Just checked contents: have 18 cards in it - 2x credit, 2x ATM, DL, 2x hospital, 2x insurance, 9x store discount cards. I draw 20,000 baht cash from the ATM each time (most kept at home) and keep about 6,000 baht in my wallet daily, unless going to Makro in which case 10,000 cash (groceries bill in Makro typically 3-6,000 baht a time). None of it folded - jeez, what's that all about?

That said, this is for normal everyday use. I would definitely not carry all this on me if I was out at night in 'entertainment' areas. In that case it would be no cards and just enough cash for the purpose.

If you are careful and don't take that wallet with you in entertainment places, that could be OK.

However, if you go to a busy market and that wallet would be pick-pocketed it would be a real hassle for you to have all the cards blocked and replaced.

I have photos of all my cards (in case something like that happens), but only carry the cards I might really need in my wallet (and for sure not ALL my credit-cards).  Also, I keep my wallet in the pocket of my shirt (don't wear T-shirts as they do not have such pocket), that will reduce the risk of having it pick-pocketed considerably.

A little paranoid yes, even though I never lost my wallet.  But started doing this when I realized the trouble I would face when losing the wallet.

I find the 20 baht notes a pain but you do need them.  Carry as much folding money as you need for the day.  Keep bills in order.  Put a small rubber band around the middle and fold them in half.  You can gently pull the bills out as you need them.  Re-sort/re-band at days end.  Keep money in a front pocket.  Many also carry drivers license, a credit card and other identification/documents in this manner with no wallet.  

Just buy a regular wallet. You will end up with lots of coins and notes that won’t fit in your plastic card holder.

how much cash one carry’s is a personal choice although 2000 baht should cover most scenarios unless it’s a night out in the bars. 

if i by accident are going to stroll into a bar

where i anticipate a bunch of girls all over me,

or a market, i much prefer the kind of belt

with a pouch at my crotch as to be alerted

if someone if fondling with it, otherwise i use a wallet.

in the wallet i really dont carry more then 10k

and typically not over 3k

In Bangkok, I usually don't carry a lot of cash, as ATMs are everywhere and cashless options are on the rise. So I just withdraw a few thousand baht a time, or as needed in case I need to make a larger purchase. When I'm out in the sticks, on the other hand, I carry more cash.