PM Prayut concerned over drought situation

webfact

PM Prayut concerned over drought situation

07c1a17fddc6c4ef416ef89a1390246f_small.j

BANGKOK (NNT) - Drought was one of the recurring issues in Thailand last year. At present, the quantity of water in Ubol Ratana and other major reservoirs in the northeastern region is low. The Prime Minister and Defense Minister, Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha, has expressed concern over the water situation and has instructed officials to assist people promptly in affected areas and encourage farmers to delay their planting.

The Government Spokeswoman, Prof. Dr. Narumon Pinyosinwat, said the Prime Minister received a report that the water level in the Mekong River is at its lowest level since 1992. The river’s level in Chiang Rai and Loei provinces has increased slightly, but is expected to decrease in the next few days. Lower water levels are also expected in Nong Khai, Mukdahan and Ubon Ratchathani provinces.

The Prime Minister ordered relevant agencies to distribute water to people in drought-hit areas and locate underground water sources quickly. Farmers are encouraged to delay their planting at this time and follow the guidance of local officials. Members of the public are encouraged to use water sparingly.

The Director-General of the Royal Irrigation Department, Dr. Thongplew Kongjun, said several major reservoirs in the Northeast have low water levels.

They include Ubol Ratana in Khon Kaen province, Chulabhorn in Chaiyaphum province and Lam Phra Phloeng in Nakhon Ratchasima province. The water level in Ubol Ratana reservoir is 496 million cubic meters, or just 20% of its capacity, as local people are now drawing water directly from the reservoir. With many areas having seen no rain for weeks, relevant agencies have to excavate canals and use groundwater.

Dr. Thongplew said there is sufficient water for consumption, but everyone has to cooperate by using water sparingly until the rainy season arrives in July.

nnt.jpg
  • Sad 2

So, if the top 2/3 of the country is suffering long-term & continuing drought, what actually doable solutions would people on this site like to suggest to the government of this fair land?

11 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

If the "concern" is real -

Then cut the planned trillion baht budget being requested by the Transport Ministry for 44 transportation infrastructures* and start building a comprehensive national water management infrastructure.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1141299-44-transport-mega-projects-in-store-this-year/?utm_source=newsletter-20200102-0602&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Sorry no can do - insufficient brown envelopes..... 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Prime Minister and Defense Minister, Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha, has expressed concern over the water situation and has instructed officials to assist people promptly in affected areas and encourage farmers to delay their planting

Maybe they can make this another "mega project" it's more beneficial than another road!

2 minutes ago, lust said:

Always the same. Every year. Too much rain, too little rain. Always a surprise to everyone each year. No planning ever.

Are there words for plan, planning, planned in Thai? 

56 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

So, if the top 2/3 of the country is suffering long-term & continuing drought, what actually doable solutions would people on this site like to suggest to the government of this fair land?

They never have solutions....only spin!

This morning i went to Mapachan lake here just outside Pattaya, the wife and i were walking ,My God ,i could not believe it ,i have seen it low before ,but this was beyond low ,parts were  bone dry ,i dread to think what we have in store for us here in Pattaya in the coming months .

• Like 1

The same were i live ,wichianburi [Phetchabun province] Pasak river no more than a series of stagnant pools,lake at nearby temple has dropped very low,all the pipes they use to airate and recycle the water,to keep this fish healthy are well above the surface now,normally they are under water unseen,water turning stagnant,big ponds by the market very low, usually this does not happen until march or so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

They could start by demanding that China releases the billions of tons of water from upstream of the Mekong.

Just now, Bundooman said:

They could start by demanding that China releases the billions of tons of water from upstream of the Mekong.

And you would expect this to be a practical solution (ie will achieve a positive outcome)?

It may be of course that China is suffering drought in the relevant parts of its SW provinces ...

Get in foreign experts (since you seem too incompetant to do it yourself!)

Work out a plan for water management nationwide

Spare some of your tanks- and-submarine-money for it!

Make it work!

That is what you do, if you are REALLY concerned!

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Pranburi  dam nice  and  full, wasnt  like  that  3  years  ago mind  but the last 2-3 years  have been  much  better in a  dry  part  of  Thailand.

Prachuap is struggling never seen burmese mountains so brown we are on local water 15 km south of PKK they are already cutting it off for hours each day

4 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

Get in foreign experts (since you seem too incompetant to do it yourself!)

Work out a plan for water management nationwide

Spare some of your tanks- and-submarine-money for it!

Make it work!

That is what you do, if you are REALLY concerned!

Well do not ask the Australian government/experts as they are in the same situation with a severe drought with some farmers loosing their subsidy as they have been receiving the drought relief for 4 years. No one can plan for a severe drought and where I live it is going to drastic if the dry season lasts too long. No real rain since September when we normally get some showers even now.

Pattaya new years eve the sky full of flaming lanterns ,an absolute idiotic behavior !!!! .....and if you disagree, check out the carnage at the zoo in Germany this week, or I am sure people in Australia bush fire zone would debate this ridiculous Thai custom.... 

Edited by mok199

On 1/2/2020 at 9:15 AM, lust said:

Always the same. Every year. Too much rain, too little rain. Always a surprise to everyone each year. No planning ever.

Easier said than done - unfortunately! 

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

And the previous fifteen in my memory.  My suggestion build bigger dams; pump flood waters there; ban Songkran.

Why build bigger dams when current dams are empty and have been for years.

Ban Songkran! what difference would that make, doesn't that "drop in the ocean" eventually end up back in the dams or ground, or does it just disappear?

Flood waters tend to disperse quickly, would that not be an issue having spent trillions on infrastructure to pump water that very inconsistently floods areas?

Next!