Firework death: Half a kilo of gunpowder for 400 baht - but you need to stand 50 feet away

webfact

When I was a kid back in the UK we were always taught on Guy Fawkes Night that you never went back to a firework that failed to go off, and under no circumstances did you ever lean your face over a firework. At his age, Mr. McLaren should have been aware of these things, but probably the alcohol made him careless or reckless.

I suppose nowadays, with many parents frowning on individual fireworks and most people going to organised displays, that kids simply don't get taught these basic safety rules any more. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

They have been filling balloons with combustible gases.

yea, I had the same problem with my grandkids, some small balloons twisted in animal figures, we had to leave the balloons behind which were filled with the "combustible" breath of the clown...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It was reported the fuse failed to light several times, which should have set off alarm bells. Says something about the quality standards to which these devices are manufactured.

Jasmine is the one to feel sorry for,

when you watch the actual video he lights it fairly easily, maybe second try, he's not standing there for ages struggling to get it to catch.

for whatever reason he immediately sticks his face over it as he lights it and well you know what happened afterwards. it's a very sad situation all around but the guy is an absolute doorknob for thinking that A) this is safe for a public street of this size, he could have killed more than just himself, and B) who sticks their face over a lit explosive the size of their own arm after the fuse ignites?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DennisE said:

Well yeah obviously you need to back away from it that’s common sense especially if you’ve ever used one of those before those things pack a huge punch. Although 400 kilos of gunpowder I could do a hell of a lot of damage with just that if I wanted to Jesus! I didn’t know it was that much but then again there’s the usual question is the article title even true? Who knows. 

400 kilos?? You have some problems with reading? ????

• Like 1

Tragic . But drunk in charge of a firework that size who is to blame The victim ? the sellers ?  or the public for not stopping him? .  

The whole world had massive displays of fireworks . if the politicians were serious about global warming i would have thought fireworks would have been considered.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I was wondering, what was it, a giant banger? Effectively a large stick of dynamite? Not some device designed to give off rainbow sprays of sparkles and shoot a few coloured balls into the air? 

Certainly not a device to be sold publicly and set off in a narrow street. 

Its gunpowder...simple, ordnance of any kind is dangerous

19 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

yea, I had the same problem with my grandkids, some small balloons twisted in animal figures, we had to leave the balloons behind which were filled with the "combustible" breath of the clown...

How much had he been drinking?

2 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

You can thank China they have no scruples selling these dangerous devices worldwide but like many illegal drugs and devices it is Chinese with no conscience.

Sometimes it comes back to bite them, such as melamine contamination in baby formula. That was a huge bonus for Australian manufacturers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A chemistry expert from Kaset University said they are pyrotechnic devices that should only be in the hands of experts.

These should not be on sale. I would like to suggest that they ban them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

These fireworks should never be on the streets for sale.I am surprised no one else was killed .Walking street is so busy at New Year they should never be letting these fireworks be sold. Will it Happen again that will be a 
huge big YES Poor Man such a horrific death

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Guderian said:

When I was a kid back in the UK we were always taught on Guy Fawkes Night that you never went back to a firework that failed to go off,

Instructions also said "light blue touch paper and retire"

Not retire, and then and blow yourself up!

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Firework, half Kilo gunpowder, thats a bomb,

RIP fellow countryman,but you should have not

been trying to set that off in a crowded area.

regards worgeordie

....should not been trying or buying at all!! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Power of life yoga said:

Well is this not true? 

...drunken residents, an irresponsible government, gunpowder and greed are not a good combination anywhere at anytime..something drastic needs to be done in this country...RIP. 

Be risk adverse, H&S is a joke in Thailand. One of my best moves was (physically) losing my driving licence. I'm guessing some darwinian, freudian, survival instinct was at work, like I never lost my passport, my wallet loads of times, and my phone, but never my passport. Anyway, having a sober SO to take you home is definitely a way to increase your lifespan, if she pulls you up when you're doing something really stupid, like going to light a minature bomb the third time, that's a bonus.

Edited by nausea
More info.