Motorbike CTPL compulsory insurance

scubascuba3

35 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This is wrong, just have a look at the official website: https://www.rvp.co.th/accident_happened_en.php

It says maximum cover for medical is 80k but doesn't specify how it's split if at fault or not at fault, just says 6. If the victim is the driver at fault, they shall receive only preliminary compensation

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

CTPL only covers risks to a 3rd party. If you want some good information regarding motor insurance go visit the site below:

https://www.frank.co.th/en

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not according to the posts above

Well, they're wrong. Read this page.

https://www.frank.co.th/en/motorcycle-insurance/compulsory

If you want to cover yourself against damage or injury you must buy type 2 or type 3, also clearly explained on this website.

CTPL covered my medical when I had an accident. not only 3rd party 

type 2 or 3 will only cover you only on top of CTPL if the expenses is more than what the CTPL covers.

do note that CTPL doesn't cover all, though it says 30k. My bill was at 6k approx, ctpl covered only 4k.

if you want instant medical coverage that covers all, get a Personal Accident Insurance. 

9 hours ago, alx123 said:

CTPL covered my medical when I had an accident. not only 3rd party 

type 2 or 3 will only cover you only on top of CTPL if the expenses is more than what the CTPL covers.

do note that CTPL doesn't cover all, though it says 30k. My bill was at 6k approx, ctpl covered only 4k.

if you want instant medical coverage that covers all, get a Personal Accident Insurance. 

i guess they didn't tell you why only 4k of the 6k was paid?

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well, they're wrong. Read this page.

https://www.frank.co.th/en/motorcycle-insurance/compulsory

If you want to cover yourself against damage or injury you must buy type 2 or type 3, also clearly explained on this website.

I think I'd rather trust the RVP website rather than Frank an insurance company who wants business

Screenshot_20200113-071320.png

Edited by scubascuba3

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i guess they didn't tell you why only 4k of the 6k was paid?

It did not cover me fully because it was my own fault they said when I skidded after my brakes locked (PCX no ABS) after a car cut me off.  That's how I understood it when the hosp finance staff was trying to explain to me in broken English. If the police report say that its not my fault, then I can be fully covered. 

Btw, i paid for it first, then they just refunded me when I have secured a police report the next few days after the accident.

Ive learned now, I bought a Personal accident insurance on top of the CTPL (required) and a type 2+ motorcycle insurance. 

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CTPL definitely covers yourself as well. The official website states so and I whitnessed it first hand when my GF had an accident on her scooter and CTPL covered her costs at BKK Hospital. They even had a dedicated staff there to handle these cases. She didn't have to pay first and claim later.

Don't believe what private insurance companies try to tell you, they obviously have an incentive to tell you otherwise, no matter how shady this practice is.

Simple medical coverage is 30k no matter what and another 50k (80k total) if you can prove that it was not your fault.

• Like 2

More info

Compulsory Third-Party Liability Insurance (CTPL)

Compulsory Third-Party Liability Insurance or Por Ror Bor is basic insurance that all cars are required to get every year under the Road Protection Act. Being the minimum requirement, CTPL covers only medical expenses with limited coverage when you cause the accident. It is up to 80,000 baht for injury and 300,000 baht for death–if it’s not the driver’s fault. When the driver is the cause of the accident, the coverage decreases to 30,000 baht for injury and 35,000 baht for death.

Por Ror Bor costs around 650 baht a year for a normal car. It won’t break the bank but cannot cover full payouts from major accidents or breakdowns. CTPL is renewed annually through Department of Land Transport, car insurance companies, or a third party representative. It is usually purchased at the same time as paying an annual car tax.

When injuries happen from accidents, you can claim directly at the hospitals by informing hospital cashiers. Otherwise, it can be later reimbursed at the insurance company with the receipt of the medical expense, a copy of your passport, and a copy of the insurance policy.

To obtain the maximum coverage, a copy of the report from the policemen is required to prove that you did not cause the accident.

source:  https://www.expatden.com/thailand/car-insurance/#Compulsory_Third-Party_Liability_Insurance_CTPL

5 hours ago, alx123 said:

It did not cover me fully because it was my own fault they said when I skidded after my brakes locked (PCX no ABS) after a car cut me off.  That's how I understood it when the hosp finance staff was trying to explain to me in broken English. If the police report say that its not my fault, then I can be fully covered. 

Btw, i paid for it first, then they just refunded me when I have secured a police report the next few days after the accident.

Ive learned now, I bought a Personal accident insurance on top of the CTPL (required) and a type 2+ motorcycle insurance. 

That is odd, if at fault 30k medical is covered. I'm suspicious they kept the balance

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That is odd, if at fault 30k medical is covered. I'm suspicious they kept the balance

Yeah of course, but I'm too stressed to care at that time. Was just happy I only have to pay 2k and no serious injuries.