High Idling Honda click 125i

S2Sturges

This bike, a 2013 Honda Click 125i, has been a pain in the <deleted> every time the weather goes below 30C, it seems, I start it up and the auto choke, I'm guessing kicks in and picks up the revs a bit for a few moments before dropping down to idle, although for the past couple of years, especially during winter here in Chiang Mai, the revs ahve been getting higher and higher to the point whereby the bike will move off on it's own unless I hold the brake or dig my heels in. Sometimes, it just keeps revving high all day, sometimes it'll drop off for no reason.. I've had it to Honda several times, the one in Huay Keow, plus a few local boys out my way in Bo Sang... To the man, they all say there's nothing wrong with it, even when it's screaming away in their yard. I know they don't want to know about, and I'm on the verge of getting rid of the thing, but thought I'd ask here if anyone has had issues like mine. Problem with the ECU...? Something up with the pump..? Like I say as soon as it heats up here, it runs like a top, cools down a bit, and it's a potential death trap... for my wife anyway, she had a shunt with a pickup because she couldn't stop the thing fast enough..

Or say stuff it, it does have 73,000km on it and get something else.... Cheers!

1 hour ago, S2Sturges said:

Or say stuff it, it does have 73,000km on it and get something else.... Cheers!

Yeah you can do that, take care the Mrs, sounds like a good time to change the scoot.

The problem could be a number of faults causing the trouble which a decent Honda workshop in CM could sort.

I think that model 125i does not have a carburetor but a fuel injection.

The first and easiest thing is to check if the throttle cable is not sticking anywhere and/or is loose enough after release, but I guess you have done that. Next is to check the air filter, and the air passage to see nothing is stuck there...

Anything more to adjust ECU or automatic choke is well beyond ordinary Thai mechanics, good luck finding one that can or care to look into it (even in Honda shop)... !!!

On 1/16/2020 at 6:34 PM, Agusts said:

I think that model 125i does not have a carburetor but a fuel injection.

The first and easiest thing is to check if the throttle cable is not sticking anywhere and/or is loose enough after release, but I guess you have done that. Next is to check the air filter, and the air passage to see nothing is stuck there...

Anything more to adjust ECU or automatic choke is well beyond ordinary Thai mechanics, good luck finding one that can or care to look into it (even in Honda shop)... !!!

Yes, I did take it to Honda in Huay Keow or course it didn't act up then and the guy said all good, the local guy here said "it can't be fixed" and gave it back to me.... I have considered just taking it back to Honda and say, replace the ECU and throttle body, plus new throttle cable and see how that goes... It' seems to be getting worse now, hanging up the revs all the time.. only used to be random or when the temp dropped a few degrees. Thanks for your input!

On 1/12/2020 at 9:07 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah you can do that, take care the Mrs, sounds like a good time to change the scoot.

The problem could be a number of faults causing the trouble which a decent Honda workshop in CM could sort.

When the Honda dealer says nothing wrong with it, it's a worry... Especially when you can drive hands off at 35kmh, that's how fast the thing is revving...

1 hour ago, S2Sturges said:

When the Honda dealer says nothing wrong with it, it's a worry... Especially when you can drive hands off at 35kmh, that's how fast the thing is revving...

I did say  " which a decent Honda workshop in CM could sort."  so find one or somebody, by asking around if your not able to fix yourself.

My mrs always does that for me in finding stuff.

10 hours ago, S2Sturges said:

Yes, I did take it to Honda in Huay Keow or course it didn't act up then and the guy said all good, the local guy here said "it can't be fixed" and gave it back to me.... I have considered just taking it back to Honda and say, replace the ECU and throttle body, plus new throttle cable and see how that goes... It' seems to be getting worse now, hanging up the revs all the time.. only used to be random or when the temp dropped a few degrees. Thanks for your input!

Did you try adjusting yourself the idle revs?

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions and ideas... The problem seems to be either temperature or humidity affected, I priced out a new ECU and throttle body, around 4 grand, almost the price of a new motor it seems..

I've decided to get rid of it by the end of the month and get a new Click or similar, neither of us feel comfortable riding the thing as you never know when it might act up again and be bloody hard to stop.

Cheers!