World Health Organization urges over-60s to avoid crowded areas

webfact

World Health Organization urges over-60s to avoid crowded areas

WHO.jpg

Officials from the World Health Organization have urged anyone over the age of 60 to avoid crowded areas in order to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Elderly people have also been told to consider changing their daily routine and avoid using public transport, attending sporting events and visiting even supermarkets and shopping malls. 

WHO director general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus shared the warning to his 500,000 Twitter followers.

"If you are 60+, or have an underlying condition like cardiovascular disease, a respiratory condition or diabetes, you have a higher risk of developing severe #COVID19. Try to avoid crowded areas, or places where you might interact with people who are sick, he said.

"It’s normal & understandable to feel anxious, especially if your country or community has been affected by #COVID19. Seek official sources of info to protect yourself, loved ones & your community. Plan on how to stay safe at work, school or your place of worship," he added.

WHO spokesperson Dr Margaret Harris also urged older people to think about changing their day-to-day routines because “avoiding catching this virus is the best outcome”.

"Rather than going to the shops to get things, think about everything you can order remotely," she said.

Elderly and sick most at risk

Meanwhile, data from China indicates that the elderly and people of all ages with serious health health conditions remain most at risk from infection.

In China, approximately 15 percent of those aged 80 or over who have contracted coronavirus have died. By comparison, the death rate across all other ages is around 2 percent. 

In Thailand, the government has declared coronavirus, now officially named COVID19, as a dangerous disease.

The declaration allows officials to introduce new measures in order to help prevent any further outbreaks of coronavirus.

The new measures include being able to cancel any events or large public gatherings, as well order anyone who is showing symptoms of coronavirus to have treatment or to  quarantine. 

Anyone who refuses treatment, as well as those who fail to properly disclose their recent travel history, face fines or possible jail terms.

On Sunday, Thailand announced its first death from the coronavirus. 

The victim was a 35 year old man who also had dengue fever. He had worked as a sales assistant at a store in Bangkok and had come into frequent contact with Chinese tourists, officials said. 

Thailand has recorded 42 coronavirus cases since January, with 30 of those having already made a full recovery and been discharged. 11 people continue to be treated in hospital, according to the Department of Disease Control.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-02

“Officials from the World Health Organization have urged anyone over the age of 60 to avoid crowded areas in order to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.”

I cannot see this mentioned in the quotes from the WHO in this article or elsewhere. The statements specifically refer to the higher risk from the virus for older people rather than it being a measure to reduce the spread.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, webfact said:

"Rather than going to the shops to get things, think about everything you can order remotely," she said.

I thought that even packages and plastic surfaces have been shown to harbour the virus?

Surely that means ironically some of the items you need to buy/order remotely is some type of disinfectant/surgical alcohol?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The new measures include being able to cancel any events or large public gatherings, as well order anyone who is showing symptoms of coronavirus to have treatment or to  quarantine. 

That's it then NO SONGKRAN......!!!!  Large Gathering

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In relation to large gatherings (you football fans in particular), whilst watching an International TV news channel from here in Cambodia, Thailand is cancelling all domestic league football matches for this month (March). When I checked Thai press reports on the internet, the Thai Football Association (TFA) states games will be played but behind closed doors because of COVID-19.  So, no games or played behind closed doors???

Quick! Pass this information to all Travel Agencies, cancel air tours, and cruise ship tours, oh and all bus tours. This will not happen in Thailand, but I hope North America, Australia, Europe, China and Russia, plus the Middle East countries all get tbe warning...

Geezer

ATTENTION THAIVISA READERS:

This thread most likely pertains to YOU!

Elderly people have also been told to consider changing their daily routine and avoid using public transport, attending sporting events and visiting even supermarkets and shopping malls. 

The Thailand edition of this advice probably will include "bars".  The middle east version, of course, will include mosques!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

ATTENTION THAIVISA READERS:

This thread most likely pertains to YOU!

The Thailand edition of this advice probably will include "bars".  The middle east version, of course, will include mosques!

But not churches because God is there and he would not let anything bad happen. :tongue:

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

But not churches because God is there and he would not let anything bad happen. :tongue:

You've been talking to US VP Mike Pence lately, obviously.... :cheesy:

Psalm 118:6

The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, neeray said:

I think you are right.

When I visited Hua Hin in 2015, my squeeze of that time told me to observe all of the "aging" men there. I did. She was very correct. At 66, I suddenly felt young again (and that was before we returned to our hotel room).

I turn 63 this year.  I be a spring chicken!

Seeing news out of the U.S. via CNN just now... that CV is a pretty tricky darned bug:

A Wuhan evacuee was released from quarantine in Texas and later tested positive for the coronavirus

A person in San Antonio, Texas, who had previously tested negative twice for the coronavirus, and was released by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is now back in quarantine after a subsequent test came back positive.

The individual, who was evacuated from Wuhan, China, to Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio on a flight chartered by the State Department was released from the Texas Center for Infectious Disease, according to San Antonio's Mayor.

"The fact that the CDC allowed the public to be exposed to a patient with a positive COVID-19 reading is unacceptable," Mayor Ron Nirenberg tweeted.

How about all the "cured" cases that Thailand has released thus far?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i guess that means all of Hua Hin will be shutting down.

Perhaps only the farang ghettos. Hua Hin  is a relatively youthful municipality with a university, technical college, military NCO and officers training  school and additional military facilities. There are literally tens of thousands of people under the age of 35. You won't see them because they do not reside in or visit the small section of  Khao Takaib, or the  3 km sq. section of HH favoured by non Thais.

23 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

and they're still letting in the Chinese tourists ...

The issue now is iran. China seems to have begun to control its cases, while iran  has thousands of infected people circulating. The new cases in the USA, UK and Canada all seem to involve Iranians who returned from Iran bearing a "gift".

23 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, starve to death in your homes.

there are delivery services. it is the responsible thing to do. No need for  drama.

23 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Looks like I'll be avoiding the Songkran celebrations although I suspect they are going to be cancelled altogether.

we can only hope.

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

The North American churches have been pretty good with their offering of facilities and  support of people who must self isolate. Many have  offered to cancel services if it helps.  Unfortunately, it is the religious fundamentalists in Iran who have caused grief for the Iranian people refusing to close  holy sites and encouraging people to actually lick the walls of shrines. yes, lick, not just  kiss.  Quite a contrast to the usully  austere religious authorities in Saudi Arabia  who have  suspended pilgrimages.

On 3/2/2020 at 4:30 PM, Moonlover said:

What a great excuse for avoiding that that funeral I've been asked to attend on Wednesday.

'Sorry dear, can't go, WHO says I can't'.

'Who says you can't'?

'WHO said I can't'.

'Who's that?'

'Oh never mind!' 

I CAN'T EXPLAIN !

• Haha 1