Britain tells the EU: we shall not sell out our fishermen

snoop1130

22 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Except they're not independent are they?

I don't think they are.

I don't think that nowadays a country can claim it is absolutely independent.

But for many believing/being convinced they are, is more than enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The EU forced the UK to buy the passports from another EU Country .

We had no choice, E.U rules 

You could not wait until you got your independence …? 

Don't tell me that this "bad undemocratic E.U. maffia organization" can force the "mighty Britannia rules the waves U.K. "  even when out ….. oh  what a downfall ????!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

Don't tell me that this "bad undemocratic E.U. maffia organization" can force the "mighty Britannia rules the waves U.K. "  even when out ….. oh  what a downfall ????!

No, we needed to order the new passports whilst we were still in the E.U otherwise there would have been a shortage had we ordered them after we left 

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What were the "real reasons" then ?

There may be several.

In my opinion, one of the main reasons is that the U.K. didn't want to continue to be part of a group where they don't have the leadership.

And having to undergo that it is Germany which is playing "First Violin".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

What was that Euro rate again?

Are you now saying that you don't even understand exchange rates either?

FYI, exchange rates are just numbers. I guess in your mind Japanese are very poor people when having an exchange rate of 0.0075 Yen to Pound sterling.

• Like 1

Just now, sanemax said:

No, we needed to order the new passports whilst we were still in the E.U otherwise there would have been a shortage had we ordered them after we left 

Oh my goodness a shortage was looming ….. and that in a Worldleader country ….? ????

I think this present mess U.K.is getting in because Corona is only a foreplays training for the looming Cliff edge ….

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

Jealous or wot?  lol   out is out  ..end of,finished,kaput,goodbye

Further on Id say the eu is finished,read the dire straights italy is in,even the eu are not capable of surviving this turmoil       Good one Boris   another Churchill comes to the fore

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

There may be several.

In my opinion, one of the main reasons is that the U.K. didn't want to continue to be part of a group where they don't have the leadership.

And having to undergo that it is Germany which is playing "First Violin".

The main reason was the millions of Europeans who came to live and work in the UK , 3-4 million and there was no room left for British people .

Thats why so many British people come and live in Thailand, because the UK is full of Eastern Europeans 

So I had assumed that the UK will merely pay Europe the same amount in tariffs as it did in EU net contribution when it was a member.

Turns out a new UN study has just found that the UK will probably end up paying MORE to the EU being outside than inside.

"Potential losses under a “no-deal” Brexit from tariffs are estimated at between $11.4 billion and $16 billion of current exports – and the new study says NTMs would double those losses.

The study also projects that even if a “standard” free trade agreement were to be signed by the parties, the UK’s exports could still drop by nine per cent."

https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/02/1058131

As you probably know the UK exports to the EU were around 289 billion£. So a 9 percent drop would still mean a loss of 26 billion£. That's if the UK gets a standard trade deal.

Ouch.

Again, net membership contribution was 9 billion£.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vogie said:

There is only one defining word and that word being 'Democracy' thankfully democracy is alive and kicking in the UK.

I think democracy is ruling in many European countries.

It can however sometimes be "funny", like in Belgium where we had elections the 26 May 2019 but the parties are not be able to form a government as per today. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I'm afraid there is. You see the UK does not want the fish British fisherman catch. The British don't like Herring. That's why British fishermen sell 66% of all their fish in the EU.

As for freezing the Herring and selling it in other non-eu countries you may want to float this master plan with the British fisheries industry that is pushing the UK government to ensure tariff free access to EU markets. I'm sure they haven't thought of that. 

You could be the saviour of a whole industry.

There are other solutions at the moment fish is regarded as a luxury item in the uk fish and chips is £12 in a fish and chip shop

Currently fishermen are restricted by quota on the amount of fish they can catch

So offer them 2 choices 

1 Keep existing access for everyone i.e Status quo

2) Restricted access to UK fisherman only, increased their existing quotas , Marketing campaign launched in the UK Herring and other usual fish at 50% discount less than cod haddock to a degree they know they already have 17.4 million people that are will to buy herring if is means giving the EU the finger

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/15/eat-herring-and-mackerel-to-support-uk-after-brexit-urges-charity

7 minutes ago, david555 said:

Oh my goodness a shortage was looming ….. and that in a Worldleader country ….? ????

Well, yes .

If the UK didnt get some more passports made, stocks would run out.....and there would be a shortage of passports

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The main reason was the millions of Europeans who came to live and work in the UK , 3-4 million and there was no room left for British people .

Thats why so many British people come and live in Thailand, because the UK is full of Eastern Europeans 

Your opinion has as much value as any other one.

5 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

not sure I understand this

whats the point of comparing the semantics of hegemony in English and in my native language?

when it came to populism I consulted English sources, of course

The reason is to understand how differently people have learned to see the world as it is. 

For some hegemony means a positive idea, community vetted collective thought. In English it means oppression of people. That's a huge difference.

Check it out anyway. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

So I had assumed that the UK will merely pay Europe the same amount in tariffs as it did in EU net contribution when it was a member.

Turns out a new UN study has just found that the UK will probably end up paying MORE to the EU being outside than inside.

"Potential losses under a “no-deal” Brexit from tariffs are estimated at between $11.4 billion and $16 billion of current exports – and the new study says NTMs would double those losses.

The study also projects that even if a “standard” free trade agreement were to be signed by the parties, the UK’s exports could still drop by nine per cent."

As you probably know the UK exports to the EU were around 289 billion£. So a 9 percent drop would still mean a loss of 26 billion£. That's if the UK gets a standard trade deal.

Ouch.

Study again  LOL   this is just about it,trawling for anything and anything that without a doubt have not the slightest relevance to the UK once severance is achieved. I did notice tho BMW are considering manufacturing in the UK if terms are bad enough to halt exports tho.

Deficit was main object,not there any more   fin ,finished   Ouch!        get the studies,copy and paste machinery into gear  lol

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Your opinion has as much value as any other one.

I am basing my opinion after living in the Uk and talking with many Uk people both in real life and online and living in the UK and following the issue .

What are you basing your opinion on ?

Down to 4 at the mo, the eu jackals must be resting  lol, just following each others rants,pure jealousy  nothing but jealousy       keep it coming,,but its been coming for years   ,just gets worse for you lot  lol

52 minutes ago, vogie said:

There is only one defining word and that word being 'Democracy' thankfully democracy is alive and kicking in the UK.

Democracy was intended as a way for stakeholders, people who owned property to decide equally.

What happened with Brexit was rather the opposite, the have-nots and benefit recipients, fearful of a smaller welfare trough due to Polish and Romanian migrants getting a share, voting against the foreigners.

Figures show that the well-to-do, including most of the City and almost all London boroughs, actually voted to remain. However, they were outnumbered by the unemployed, old pensioners and the underclass, who voted for Brexit.

I'm not sure that's what democracy intended. I think the Greeks intended equality for the equal, not for the unequal.

Brexit seems more of a perversion of democracy, than an example of it.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I am basing my opinion after living in the Uk and talking with many Uk people both in real life and online and living in the UK and following the issue .

What are you basing your opinion on ?

Insight into human character.

Having professionally dealing with Brits for 30 years, and now living in Pattaya for 20.

However I concede that your experience is more relevant.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I don't know which fish and chip shops you have been to in the UK, every Fish and chip shop I have been to uses UK potatoes  and normally they buy their potatoes in 56lb bags I don't know a single fish and chip shop that would ever use frozen chips 

KFC and macDonald yes use frozen chips and their chips are well known for being 100% potato free

I'm afraid you'll find that the UK is a net importer of both fresh and frozen potatoes. And the EU is the main source for imports (76%).

"The UK is typically a net importer of fresh/chilled potatoes. The EU is the main source for imports (76% average from 2013–2017), while Israel is the main non-EU source. Most UK fresh/chilled potato exports are sent to the EU (97% average 2013–2017)."

https://projectblue.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/Imported Publication Docs/PotatoBitesize190206_WEB.pdf

Maybe the UK fish and chip shops are scrupulous about only using British potatoes. Would seem a bit odd since most of the cod and haddock they use is imported from Europe. More likely the fish and chip shops would buy the cheapest potatoes, which often come from Europe.

Personally I find KFC and MacDonalds chips much better than those fat cut giant British chunks of chips. To soft inside. But then cooking was never a British strong point.

• Like 1

A significant number of posts have been removed, along with replies and replies to replies, covering ten pages.

Reason being, Trolling, Flaming, Bickering, Racist with every single one totally off topic.

I remind you that the post is about fishing rights, which is what you should be discussing.

Further off topic posts will be removed without further notice and warnings may be applied.

EDIT: More off topic posts and replies have been removed. This topic is not about immigration, how Dutch people think or Thai peoples working conditions and wages, it is about UK fishing rights. Please stick to that, or your post will be removed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

I'm afraid you'll find that the UK is a net importer of both fresh and frozen potatoes. And the EU is the main source for imports (76%).

"The UK is typically a net importer of fresh/chilled potatoes. The EU is the main source for imports (76% average from 2013–2017), while Israel is the main non-EU source. Most UK fresh/chilled potato exports are sent to the EU (97% average 2013–2017)."

https://projectblue.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/Imported Publication Docs/PotatoBitesize190206_WEB.pdf

Maybe the UK fish and chip shops are scrupulous about only using British potatoes. Would seem a bit odd since most of the cod and haddock they use is imported from Europe. More likely the fish and chip shops would buy the cheapest potatoes, which often come from Europe.

Personally I find KFC and MacDonalds chips much better than those fat cut giant British chunks of chips. To soft inside. But then cooking was never a British strong point.

KFC and McDonalds are pre formed chips from Potato powder, Living in Lincolnshire One of Europe's biggest Veg growers and flower growers it  can compete with any veg grower, also it freezes tons for veg for the European Market, Britain has the most Diversified  Diet in the world too, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And yet still more delicious than those thick cut soft British chip chunks.

Yes, I'm sure the marvel of Lincolnshire can compete with the Netherlands and Spain in terms of vegetable sales. If that were the case why doesn't Lincolnshire supply 99% of frozen chips to the UK instead of Netherlands?

Why doesn't Lincolnshire supply two thirds of fish to the UK since it's such an export powerhouse?

And frozen British veg, yum, yes I can imagine you'll conquer the world with your frozen veg. 

Of course, since British beef is the best in the world as I found out during the mad cow crisis on British TV, it's only to be expected that the UK has the world's most diversified diet. That's obviously why the heart disease figures in the UK are so outstanding.

Good God.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TheDark said:

Are you now saying that you don't even understand exchange rates either?

FYI, exchange rates are just numbers. I guess in your mind Japanese are very poor people when having an exchange rate of 0.0075 Yen to Pound sterling.

Not the point. Maybe you know that but chances are slim.

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

Ouch.

But no losses to the EU of course. All balls.

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

Personally I find KFC and MacDonalds chips much better than those fat cut giant British chunks of chips.

From all of your post I just find this to be outrageous. :cheesy:

You will be saying Vietnamese catfish is as good as haddock and cod with Chips. You are taking this too far.????

Edited by Laughing Gravy