Britain tells the EU: we shall not sell out our fishermen

snoop1130

26 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

my dictionaries do not sy what you claim

we obviously consult different "books"

Do check the word 'hegemony' in both; your native language as well as what it means in English. 

Sometimes the words and their meanings surprises us.

You'll know something most of the people here can't understand, even if they would want to.

3 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Do check the word 'hegemony' in both; your native language as well as what it means in English. 

You'll know something most of the people here can't understand, even if they would want to.

You description of what the word "propulsion" means (in post #799) doesnt actually tally up with what the word actually means ,

You seem to have made up your own definition of what the word means , rather than a dictionary assisted generally accepted meaning of the word 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Just means * I really dont care*

Thanks. 

Give me a better idea of post 864 :

Reaction of nauseus to the new UK budget which seems to be based on a lot of borrowing. 

By the way I not really care also about the new E.U. budget without contribution of the U. K., providing it doesn’t affect me personally. 

I seems there is a dispute with 4 countries of the  27 which only want to pay 1% instead of 1,074.

This seems trivial, but I suppose it means a lot of money. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I think I would have preferred info like the above stemming from a somewhat more scholarly source than wiki.

Anyway,

good find.

But so what? Nothing new revealed above. Pretty standard fare and what could be expected in UK.

The point of the entry is?

Tradesmen's entrance.

3 hours ago, TheDark said:

not sure I understand this

whats the point of comparing the semantics of hegemony in English and in my native language?

when it came to populism I consulted English sources, of course

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Best part is that the Irish will get to watch the English suffering a famine ????

Will you also laugh about the Irish and the Scots living in England as well as the 3.5 million Europeans or are you suggesting if they paint their foreheads red they might be spared

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The trouble with being both anti-austerity and pro-EU

It is the simple fact that the European Union, at its heart and above all else, is a fundamentally pro-austerity institution.

https://www.redpepper.org.uk/the-trouble-with-being-both-anti-austerity-and-pro-eu/

Austerity is exactly what the UK needs. A previous UK government already understood this and instituted strong austerity measures, the benefits were later claimed by other governments.

After all we saw in the case of Greece what anti-austerity, the full-on spenthrift, give the electorate whatever they want populism results in. Eventually creditors stop financing countries that live above their means.

We saw now the UK, one of the most indebted countries in the world, extend its debt by 125 billion£. 

The UK keeps mortgaging the lives of its children. Future generations will pay for this Brexit government's freebie handout culture.

If only the EU, one of the most spendthrift organizations in the world, were a pro-austerity institution. With the growing proliferation of irresponsible governments that are in the business of handing out freebies in the triple billion pound range, that would be exactly what's needed.

Especially in the case of the UK, that's already well on the way to becoming the next Greece.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Logosone said:

No, not at all mistakes were also made. However, not in the magnitude and gravity that the UK's leaders have committed them.

I mean the UK was the leading economy in the world, first to industrialise, exploiting and robbing dozens of countries's resources at gunpoint, or at the very least having exclusive access to their markets.

The UK's share of manufacturing output had risen from 9.5% in 1830 during the Industrial Revolution to 22.9% in the 1870s. It fell to 13.6% by 1913, 10.7% by 1938, 4.9% by 1973 and 2% by 2015.

Imagine, to squander an advantage like that? Okay, some part of it was the USA and Germany and Japan and South Korea and India developing and the UK just could not compete. But it wasn't just the competition, even after WWII when the UK was weakened, competition was starting and the colonies got tired and kicked the Brits out and reclaimed their markets and resource, even AFTER that the UK still was in an excellent position.

But it wilfully torpedoed its own largest industrial big names, it wasted the 79 million Pound UK privatisation windfall, the 20 million pound mobile phone licences windfall, the North sea oil windfall.

It just spent it all. No sovereign wealth fund here.

Then it decided to take the UK out of the one economic market that was benefitting the UK most of all. 1.7 trillion GBP of assets leave the city, big name companies leave the city, foreign investments fall, the UK is downgraded by all rating agencies.

Now, instead of getting on his back and thanking the EU that it even is willing to grant the UK access the UK behaves like a spoiled teenager who wants to have its cake and eat it too.

To put it into perspective, the UK barely manages to produce 65% of the industrial output of South Korea. Even though South Korean has one sixth less population, it produces 30% more than the UK.

Yes, my country also made mistakes, but not like this. We outproduce the UK by almost 200%. We did not bet on oil and instead put our money on sustainable green energy. We certainly are not so dumb as to leave the largest single market in the world. And our GDP is significantly larger than the UK's, one trillion USD larger than the UK's to be precise. Of course we also made mistakes, but not in the same magnitutde or gravity as the British leaders have done.

What (200%) country are we talking about..?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Why are you Brexiteers so fixated with where someone comes from?

Because wanting a level playing field....

Folk not from the UK posting on this subject are quick to slag the UK off but I/we have nothing to come back with as a comparison...It is very tiresome..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

I think I would have preferred info like the above stemming from a somewhat more scholarly source than wiki.

Anyway,

good find.

But so what? Nothing new revealed above. Pretty standard fare and what could be expected in UK.

The point of the entry is?

Well, I just really wanted to understand why Brexiters voted for Brexit. Since economically it makes no sense. The EU buys 66% of your fish, supplies 100% of some food products, allowed the City to sell UK services with passporting rights all over the EU. And in terms of 'control of borders' the Brexit government now lets in Romanians and Poles without a visa, just like all the others did, so it doesn't look like a huge control of borders is in place.

So I was genuinely curious and wondering why did Brexiters vote for Brexit. Even the sovereignty issue made no sense. What can the UK do today that it could not do before Brexit?

So, since Eva and indeed not a single one of the Brexiters here wanted to tell us why they voted for Brexit, I looked it up.

And frankly, it makes horrific reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_vote_in_favour_of_Brexit

There's no denying that anti-foreigner sentiment played large part in voting for Brexit, the strong dislike for Poles and Romanians, which saw physical attacks on Poles prior to Brexit.

Of course Brexiters do not wish to talk about this. It's interesting that all the Brexiters claim to be open minded and not anti-foreigner at all. Yet, the research leaves no doubt that anti-immigration was perhaps the single strongest reason for the win of the Leave campaign.

There was also an issue of sovereignty, again an anti-foreigner bias in that Brexiters didn't want foreigners to take decisions for Britain, as they believed that all decisions affecting Britain should be made in Britain. 

Apart from ressentiments against foreigners there were also base economic ressentiments ("if you've got money, you vote in... if you haven't got money, you vote out".) against the supposed 'establishment'. Never mind that it was multi-millionaires like Rees-Mogg who made their money with hedge funds who were leading the 'leave' campaign.

It's just that basically none of the Brexiter's reasons seem to make any sense, there is no control of borders now that is any better than what was in place, the sovereignty issue is a non-issue since the UK cant' do anything significant now it could not do before, and economically all the dreams of golden opportunities from leaving the EU have not and will not materialise.

So one really does wonder why the Brexiters voted for it. Of course if one then sees that it was disproportionately the uneducated, the have-nots, those unable to get good jobs, the elderly and the xenophobic, then this all makes sense.

Of course no Brexiter wants to admit the real reason they voted for Brexit, that they didn't want foreigners and had foolish dreams of Britannia rising to a golden age, which now look more distant than ever. That their supposed wins in sovereignty and border control are just figments of their overactive imagination. It's no wonder Brexiters do not wish to disclose why they voted Brexit. So we can make our minds up looking at the data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_vote_in_favour_of_Brexit

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, nauseus said:

What cobblers. The UK government has been criticized for too much austerity from 2010-2019, especially by remainers. Now when a "borrowing" budget emerges that is panned too, from the same side of the gallery, which can see no wrong in EU/ECB policies. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-14/johnson-victory-heralds-gradual-end-to-u-k-s-era-of-austerity

How much interest can you get out of Euro these days anyway?

I don't recall criticising the UK government for instituting too much austerity. It was the right thing to do. Even a British government that knows how much the electorate wants tax freebies at that time understood that it was time to put in place austerity measures or the UK would be in dire straits. They did so and later governments reaped the rewards. But it was good for Britain. It was good for the British.

Of course now the Brexit government squanders the last family silver and future generations will have to pay for the re-election bribes the Boris Johnson government hands out. The children of today's children in the UK will still be paying for Mr Sunak's 125 billion tax handouts.

Yes, the austerity in the EU also leaves a lot to be desired. And we saw exactly with Greece where this no-austerity give the electorate whatever it wants bribery leads to, haven''t we?

Eventually creditors will refuse to pay for countries that live above their means. It happens.

And for the UK, one of the world's most indebted countries in the world to  present a 125 billion£ freebie handout is a perverse mortgaging of the future of Britain's youth. Even if they were able to afford it in the long term.

Edited by Logosone

30 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Some Europeans would like the UK to stay in the EU for their own benefit .

Its better for them, then it is for us 

I am surprised that you needed to ask such a simple question .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

45 minutes ago, transam said:

Because wanting a level playing field....

Folk not from the UK posting on this subject are quick to slag the UK off but I/we have nothing to come back with as a comparison...It is very tiresome..

"Because wanting a level playing field...."

Boris don't want a plain level field …. so ….!

Edited by david555

27 minutes ago, nauseus said:

What was that Euro rate again?

you are right the E.U. rate is in my E.U. case only 0.10% , in my Thai case however 0.50%  , so you are in the U.K. still a bit better of , but that means there is still gap for "the Carney's & co " to cut further ….(probably in September budget review )

Edited by david555

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Debt to GDP Ratio by Country 2020

UK is 29th on the list

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/countries-by-national-debt/

When you look at the full debt burden, the UK was in number one spot:

"In 2011, household, financial, and business debts stood at 420% of GDP in the UK. As the world's most indebted country, spending and investment were held back after the recession, creating economic malaise"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_United_Kingdom

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Great after all he is representing the people of the UK voted in on a massive majority in the recent GE. I would expect nothing less from a PM.

Just because  you took my answer out of context  , here the full one 

2020-03-12_094056.png

35 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Well, I just really wanted to understand why Brexiters voted for Brexit. Since economically it makes no sense.

As Brits are rather proud, having a high self-esteem,

mostly based on their past;

it is quite understandable that a lot want to be independent.

Not being a part of a group, and certainly not one where they don't have the leading role.

They are prepare to possibly having to pay a high price for this independence.

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

"In 2011, household, financial, and business debts stood at 420% of GDP in the UK. As the world's most indebted country, spending and investment were held back after the recession, creating economic malaise"

People in the UK are more inclined to buy their house and take out a mortgage , rather than rent and thats the reason why Brits have a higher personal debt 

That is personal debt though, you were talking about Government debt 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Total household debt in Great Britain was £1.28 trillion in April 2016 to March 2018, of which £119 billion (9%) was financial debt and £1.16 trillion (91%) was property debt (mortgages and equity release).

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/householddebtingreatbritain/april2016tomarch2018

Simple Larger % of the UK population owned their own property compared to countries like Germany