What are Thais stocking up on pre-lockdown?

Trujillo

1 minute ago, Brickbat said:

Stocking up on good luck . Temples might be benefiting! 

dunno about up in LOS, but at least in OZ; some Temples here are the new Charity Centres? 

- like our local Monk was insisting everyone take previously donated Sangatan  TRolls etc home if we're now running low.

The temples have stockpiles of just about anything household you can think of!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

condoms

They don't have my size here, I stocked up when back in Oz in October, have a couple of boxes which expire in 2022, although I can't see me using them any time here with this Covid-19.

Guess I will just have to go without one on, so as to keep those two boxes full for when the Covid-19 is over. 

• Haha 1

The stores in my area of California are naked. Experts are saying that in time of uncertainty people want to feel like they are doing something to make themselves safe. Whether it's logical or not.

In California if you waited you would not be able to buy food. My favorite mayonnaise at Trader Joe's is gone and my favorite pickles at Vons is gone. A run on mayo and pickles? The world is doomed.

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

last night in Hua Hin canned fish, instant noodles, canned milk. toilet paper, diapers, water.

G Mart and Big C.

No lines but full carts.

People walking down the street carrying big toilet paper. 

It was so exciting I am going to go out again tonight and see what is happening.

4 hours ago, flare said:

Yes, I'm aware of that- I was referring to the toilet paper hoarding specifically, which, as some people in the US have literally hundreds of rolls, seems a bit excessive...

I'm from the US, and I'm keeping a close eye on what's going on as I'm worried about my elderly father who's in NY.

Compare the size of the average US butt to a Thai butt and that may give you a clue for the need to hoard toilet roll.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

last night in Hua Hin canned fish, instant noodles, canned milk. toilet paper, diapers, water.

G Mart and Big C.

No lines but full carts.

People walking down the street carrying big toilet paper. 

It was so exciting I am going to go out again tonight and see what is happening.

You really went out? Or just peeking through the closed curtains as you worry yourself to an early grave.

There may yet be some panic.

It will help if people post their observations here, then we may know how this develops or not.

FYI, locally in bangkok yesterday klongtoey big c rama 4

only a few products affected yet. Two noted below.

tinned food (fish / tuna in particular)

Ready made noodles.

Toilet paper was still plentiful.

What is the obsession with toilet paper? Are they planning on making face masks?

Brawling in the aisles in Australia over dunny roll. I've had a bum gun for years in our place in Oz. Use more toilet paper on the dinner table than we do in the bog. Same as in Thailand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

The stores in my area of California are naked. Experts are saying that in time of uncertainty people want to feel like they are doing something to make themselves safe. Whether it's logical or not.

In California if you waited you would not be able to buy food. My favorite mayonnaise at Trader Joe's is gone and my favorite pickles at Vons is gone. A run on mayo and pickles? The world is doomed.

I believe gun sales have gone up in the US. 

• Haha 1

I was told, in a lengthy conversation with a pharmacist here, that no company makes certified PM2.5 resistant masks in Thailand. All of them are from either the States or China. She said that all the stuff that is actually preventative for PM2.5 was purchased online. 
I asked what her suppliers said. She said there was a big complaint from the association of pharmacies as to why they can't get any supply and she said that the "Commerce Department" was obtaining masks (from some source) and then selling them to those in China at a tidy profit. She went on to say that the government is ... how to say? funneling all the incoming stocks of masks to itself for resale. 

She said the odds of supplies coming back to Chiang Mai are slim and unreliable if at all. 

So don't expect anyone to be stocking up on masks. I have a few from last year I only use on the worst days of pollution, not for any viral protection. 

By the way, what is it about Thais and beans? I've never seen Thai eat even one bean, let alone clear out the shelves. I'm not aware of any recipe in Thai cuisine that asks for beans. What's going on here? 

21 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

By the way, what is it about Thais and beans? I've never seen Thai eat even one bean, let alone clear out the shelves. I'm not aware of any recipe in Thai cuisine that asks for beans. What's going on here? 

They sell them in the day markets for 5 baht a bunch, long beans. A bit stupid to be paying 10 times as much for the tinned stuff.

• Like 1