Masks = Respect & Common Sense

People seem to be over thinking and justifying not wearing masks in public.  This is not an argument about particle size, infection rates, and transmission pathways.  This is a conversation about common sense and respect for others.

Each of us has an “exhale radius” and when people are in close proximity, these “breath zones” overlap and “sharing” occurs.

If you are going to ride mass transit, shop in crowded areas, work in confined spaces with others, and hundreds of other obvious “too close for comfort” zones … be the person who sets a positive example and a clear message “I respect you and am doing what I can to limit your exposure to my “exhale radius.”

Pretty basic example of trying to be a person who understands that you are either part of the solution, or part of the problem.

If you want to know why Thais are losing patience with Foreigners now, the mindset is "Either you are WITH us ... or AGAINST us."  How about you just put on the mask, and join team "Foreigners respect Thai People and The Kingdom."  ???

Mask-001.png

33 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

If all you say is true, then as there will always be airbourne virus transmission, all people everywhere should wear a mask at all times, from birth to death, when out in public.  This is of course complete nonesense, as the protection that they afford is minimal at best and can themselves be carriers of infection when  not correctly handled or disposed of.  They are ineffective unless you get droplets on you, have a cold already and are sneezing all over the place, or work among the general public who may infect you, e.g in a hospital or clinic.  If none of those things are present, and they are not in me, then I will not be wearing them any time soon. 

OK, let's unpack this.  No one said all airborne infection can be stopped ... it invites you to consider why ducks are hunted with shotguns ... not rifles.  Distance and spread radius matter!  So yes, your "birth to death hypothesis" is as you say "nonesense."

Here is where you are getting really confusing and seem to be agreeing with me. "They are ineffective unless you get droplets on you"  ummm, yeah , a meaningful reduction in "breathe radius" does minimize droplet dispersion.  Next "have a cold already" ... interesting, because one deadly "feature" of COVID 19 is how many people are carriers who show no symptoms ... so you may have it and spread it , without knowing.  Next: "work among the general public who may infect you, e.g in a hospital or clinic."  Here. without realizing it, you are saying. "when in close quarters with the general public, masks serve to protect others from infection."  Last part "If none of those things are present, and they are not in me, then I will not be wearing them any time soon."  First the big "IF" ... you can not say for sure right now, that you are not infected.  So people look at folks like you on BTS (for example) and think "Really?  You couldn't just wear a mask and stop breathing on a bunch of people trapped in a shared air space?  Really?  You are that stupid, selfish and disrespectful of others?"

I don't know much about you personally, but I do know a "Thai Visa Type" who complain non-stop that Thai People don't worship them.  One of the points I tried to make was ... with very little effort, Foreigners can send a Respect and Care message to their Thai Hosts .. I mean, you are a guest in their country.

So, I sincerely doubt any of this will change your mind, so just keep on being that stereotypical Foreigner who thinks Thailand, and the world, owe them something.  Sir, they actually don't. 

19 minutes ago, ukrules said:

How about you tell me where I can buy them from?

There are masks for sale in lots of places .. especially close to major BTS stations.  I must have seen a dozen vendors at Sala Daeng when I went to the dentist the other day.  I save the 3M High quality units for my wife, and I use the black one I got from the hardware store because it is big enough, doesn't fog my glasses, and pretty air tight.  You see, I wear it to be polite and not breath on people, honestly, I would be much happier without it.  

5 minutes ago, adammike said:

I have three nights in Bangkok coming up and I shall wear a mask when I am out and about,even though I have a beard and know the masks are not going to help much it's just the easy option.

I ordered masks in February before I arrived in Thailand and bought them with me because I thought they would be needed on the sky train and at the airport.

That is great, and it WILL help by limiting you breathing on others ... super important considering you will be getting off a flight?  And, it will spread good will and get smiles from Thais who see it as "Respectfully TRYING to help!" 

1 minute ago, bangkokequity said:

That is great, and it WILL help by limiting you breathing on others ... super important considering you will be getting off a flight?  And, it will spread good will and get smiles from Thais who see it as "Respectfully TRYING to help!" 

Oh dear gawd.

You must be new here.

How's he going to get a smile anyway? Everyone's hiding behind dirty old masks they've handled for days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

There are no masks.

Thais wear old soiled masks.

Pay 20-30b for a mask.

Masks were all packed up in a conspiracy to sell to China. Tens of millions of masks.

Have a few boxes to spare?

Bit of a laff you are.

I think you have lost the thread here.  This is about wearing masks to control where YOUR breath goes.  Honestly, if you just tied a scarf around your face, that goal would be accomplished.  Oh!  20 - 30 baht for a mask? Stop!  I am going to cry!  Are you being serious right now?  The price you put on breathing on strangers, possibly spreading a serious virus, and looking like another "privileged Foreigner" is less than one us dollar??  I have no comment about what Thai People wear, or conspiracy theories about selling to China.  For that, I direct you to my "Tin Foil Hat" blog. 555

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Oh dear gawd.

You must be new here.

How's he going to get a smile anyway? Everyone's hiding behind dirty old masks they've handled for days.

Hmmm ... me? "New here?"  Here is a wager, let's make it 10,000 THB for every year one of us has been here longer than the other.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Point me in the right direction and I will buy one. ????

Please don't tell me you live in BKK and can not figure out how to buy a mask.  Seriously.

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Send me two boxes.

I've asked in twenty pharmacies. They laugh. Your post is a joke.

"Point me in the right direction and I will buy one."
You said "buy a mask" ... you did not specify "buy BOXES of 3M quality masks"

Edited by Guest
More Information

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

You don't write like someone in their 70s but whatever.

I am going to take that as a left handed compliment.  Thank You! 555

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not spread by breathing. It is spread by coughing, sneezing, and touching surfaces that hold the virus and then touching your face. The virus can last three days on surfaces. I would say if you have symptoms or know that you've had direct exposure to infected people, definitely wear a mask. 

People seem to be over thinking and justifying not wearing masks in public.  This is not an argument about particle size, infection rates, and transmission pathways.  This is a conversation about common sense and respect for others.

Each of us has an “exhale radius” and when people are in close proximity, these “breath zones” overlap and “sharing” occurs.

If you are going to ride mass transit, shop in crowded areas, work in confined spaces with others, and hundreds of other obvious “too close for comfort” zones … be the person who sets a positive example and a clear message “I respect you and am doing what I can to limit your exposure to my “exhale radius.”

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Congratulations. You've mastered the copy and paste function. 

An ideal solution for replying to people who love to comment, but hate to read.  You are so far away from the thesis here ... why would I bother, when "READ THE ORIGINAL POSTING' is the best cure for your problem.

25 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

I see. So if we falangs go around wearing masks we are going to get smiles from Thais. Do you see the irony in that statement?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

It's a big country, not everyone is in Bangkok, again - there are no masks available to purchase.

Where are you?  For a fee, I will ship you some ... but hey, you could just go to the hardware store and buy a nice simple mask.  That is actually what I wear, no leakage, and does the job I require ... once again ... being respectful and not breathing on people in crowded areas.

Just now, Moonlover said:

I see. So if we falangs go around wearing masks we are going to get smiles from Thais. Do you see the irony in that statement?

No. Sorry, there is no irony there.