Masks = Respect & Common Sense

49 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

For a fee, I will ship you some

That's great, I will order a dozen, please give me a price and I'll PM you my address because they're not available around here either, not even at the hardware store.  I may be able to collect, where will you be shipping them from?

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

did I say I live in BKK? You r nuts

No, you did not .. the QUESTION is ... where DO you live?  

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

That's great, I will order a dozen, please give me a price and I'll PM you my address because they're not available around here either, not even at the hardware store.  I may be able to collect, where will you be shipping them from?

Please direct message me with examples of what type you prefer.  I will ship them from Bangkok. I am going to be "out and about" tomorrow, so please do this ASAP.

Edited by Guest
More Information

9 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

How about this? A humorless troll goes on line and (hopefully) pretends he does not understand the premise of a hypothetical test where two test groups share identical spaces for identical time periods, one group wears masks, and the other does not, breathing freely upon their neighbors.  Might a person with an IQ above say ... 80, be able to venture a guess which group is most likely to pass germs more easily?  The thing is, the original thesis is actually about public perception and the roles of Foreigners in Thailand.  The basic idea is, "Stop being a self righteous ass hat, and wear a mask because the 98% of Thai People on Skytrain would appreciate it."  Pretty basic really.  Sort of like "Why you don't fart in elevators.  (OK, I know you probably do that .. but normal people don't)

The only one being self-righteous here is the person claiming that people have no "common sense" if they don't adapt a behavior that epidemiologists and experts in infectious diseases claim does not help. Calling out people as "self-righteous ass hats" that don't follow this dubious advice is the height of self-righteousness. The irony is rich here.

That's my last response to you on this topic as well. Maybe you should save your proselytizing for the Thais in the local shops here where I live, who pick their noses and then pick up food items and push around shopping carts in the local shops/stores.

Edited by Hank Gunn
  • Like 2

I understand  the  OP's  question.

I say yes  to the concept  of respect....only in the  sense  that it  encourages  the  perception of  precaution despite the fact it  may  be useless or  in instances  actually a  negative if the use is simply  cosmetic entirely. Which if so is  actually  an arguement  for not wearing. lol

• Like 1

The WHO said it´s not necessary that everybody wear a mask. If everybody buy and wear them, there are none left for the people they really need them.

I am living in Chiang Mai and always wear one when I leave the house. But it´s a N95 one and I wear it because the bad air quality.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

But it might not increase the risk either.

Whataboutery.

14 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

I live in a city of nearly 2 million people and I have never seen anybody wearing a mask

apart from some Asian tourists who are used to them from the country they come from.

I went to Khampaeng Phet on my normal monthly bulk shop and the population of some 727,827 about 50% of the Thais were wearing masks, but less than 25% of the farangs I saw were wearing masks.

I was.

2 minutes ago, spinner2020 said:

Just what is your problem with every poster? Almost no-one agrees with your assertion that we should all wear masks because you have been here since 1945 and therefore know better than Thais what Thais want us farang to do. Now you know ridership on BTS has trebled overnight. Is your mask over your eyes?

Masks are of NO use.

Actually, it is 100% of respondents do not agree with me.  So, my experiment is done ... Thai Visa gonna do what Thai Visa gonna do.  Hey, one favor though.  When Thailand cracks down on foreigners, raises the funds in banks to stay here, requires health insurance for ALL Foreigners regardless of visa or duration .. don't cry, OK? Promise? Just keep thumbing your nose at the actual citizens of the country you are (a rather ungrateful) GUEST in.  Spinner2020 gets the trophy!  He got it! 

53 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Let's see, there are two study groups of 100 people.  Each group is held in a confined area for 20 minutes.  One group wears masks and avoids breathing on their neighbor, and the other (no mask) group stands toe to toe the whole time.  Hmmm ... care to guess who gets sick? 

I'll guess...it could be any random person because (a) the masks are not effective and (b) in your confined area all of them could become ill...because of (a).  Hmmm.

3 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

What does that has to do with wearing masks? The topic was about wearing masks.

Not in what big city do I live.

It has a lot to do with it.

Simply because in some parts of Thailand masks are available and in other parts they are not.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

What does that has to do with wearing masks? The topic was about wearing masks.

Not in what big city do I live.

Sir, you brought it up. So here we are .. you live in a rather small city, not in The Kingdom, and are expert on what Thai Nationals think  Absolute Social Media Gold! 

43 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

I will not split hairs with you about what "irony" means.  I will offer you a moment of silence to morn the rather lonely and sad life a person must have to not know that people smile with their eyes, with body language, with attitude and behavior.  I hope someday, someone looks at you like this.

smile ex.JPG

That's not a smile, it's wind, either that or she's laughing at your OP proposition

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What you are missing here is that it is not common sense and it is not respectful and that Thai people are not "really getting fed up with Foreigner BS right now". 

I could tell you who is "getting fed up with Foreigner BS right now" but that wouldn't be polite or respectful.

Is this the same guy who asked me to buy him some masks, ship them, and I agreed to help?  Do I have you confused with someone else???

just weird.JPG

Edited by Guest
More Information

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

I am not going to humour stupid people who don't understand how this virus is spread. This virus is not in the air. Wearing a mask is useless. Just to humour the stupid seems a bit of an imposition.

If it worries them so, like Anutin, they should get an education. It's not hard. It's in the news. Wearing a mask is not necessary if you're healthy. It can actually mean you catch you the virus. Plus buying them means those who need them, in hospital don't have enough. So for the sake of inconsiderate and stupid people we should wear masks? Do me a favour.

Hmmm. So  in a time  of  general paranoid  crisis  you suggest people  get an education? Instantaneously from where?

Try to understand that these  "stupid  " people observe the  fact that  health  care people  wear masks. The same  people  that you say  other stupids   should  preserve   masks  for!

Think about  it!

And  maybe acknowledge the  fat that  for  many years   people have used   same  masks  due to pollution .

Have  they  been  "stupid"  for  that? If  so  now they   should  discard  masks  for that purpose   to  satisfy  suggested  risk  from Corvid-19?

• Sad 1

i know wearing a mask, especially a cheap paper model, will do nothing to prevent me contracting the virus.  even the expensive ones, if i could bear wearing them for longer than 30 minutes, would only give marginal protection in public places.

and yes, i do wear a mask in public.  not out of politeness, but as a personal safety measure.  i'm currently living in a highly nationalistic, xenophobic, racist country, where public opinion closely follows government propaganda.  as the only western foreigner in a town of 250k, why ask for trouble?

no new cases here recently, but if we get a second wave of infections, and the government has more problems with the trump.....the pitchforks and torches will be selling like, well....., like n95 masks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

I guess my Thai wife and her friends might be a good start.  And the wives of lots of my friends.  And our condo manager, and her friends, and ... I can do this all day.  Not sure where you live or what you are referring to .. this thread is about high density close contact areas like BTS.  Go to Siam BTS Station 8:00 AM ... and have a look around.  How about you give me 10 baht for every Thai in a mask, and I give you 20 for every Thai without a mask? (Going to guess you don't live in BKK)

"Going to guess you don't live in BKK".

As with everything else you've claimed in this thread, you're guess is wrong.

"I guess my Thai wife and her friends might be a good start.  And the wives of lots of my friends.  And our condo manager, and her friends, and ... I can do this all day". 

I'm sure you could make things up about it all day, hearsay doesn't count as fact.

• Like 2

I wear a mask for pollution already anyway but can't drink my beer or eat with it, so there you go, exposing people again.
Mask would not really help or be effective in Thailand perhaps maybe in areas where you are close to each other (airport, bus, bts, mrt etc).

Not wearing medical masks, can't find them either, not planning too as well.

46 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:
48 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Did you actually read this posting?  It basically says, "in confined areas with lots of people, it is polite to wear a mask."

If you're referring to the link in White Christmas' post, it doesn't mention mask-wearing politeness at all.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

If you want to know why Thais are losing patience with Foreigners now, the mindset is "Either you are WITH us ... or AGAINST us."  How about you just put on the mask, and join team "Foreigners respect Thai People and The Kingdom."  ???

How about Thai people start wearing masks. How about Thai parents teaching their children to wear a mask.  A recent picture of hundreds of students in one room taking a national test shows 98 percent wearing a mask but you can see many who do not.

How about the idiot taxi driver I had 2 weeks ago who covers his mouth but not his nose?

They should point the mirror to themselves.  

Watch the idiots in Pattaya - no masks anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Duh?  It is polite, because the people around me on BTS say so. 

Duh?  So lots of Thais on the BTS, who don't know you from Adam, have congratulated you on your politeness for wearing a mask?  Yeah, right, of course they have.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Just keep thumbing your noses at the Thai People whose country you are a GUEST in!

You need an attitude adjustment.  Do you think this is always a one-way arrangement?  Tens of thousands of Thais live in the USA.  We let them work, many have restaurants.  It's reciprocal but you don't seem to understand that.

Why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1