COVID19 :- Condo living in a High risk environment ???

banglay

All the evidence re :- COVID19 states living in a close confined living space with lots of shared areas  ie :- Cruise ships , Hotels ,and even Hospital are the ideal breeding ground for this virus ( they are just a huge Petri dish )... should Condos be on this list ? and should the residents be worried ???.

I would be worried, specially about elevator surfaces... and wearing gloves while using them and pressing buttons.. a machete to keep others out of the cabin while you are using it would help securing social distancing... ???? minimum is cleansing hands immediately after leaving the cabin 

• Like 1

My condo has stuck a clear plastic sheet over the lift buttons.  Easy to clean the surface regularly. Just don't cram yourself into a full lift.

Perhaps somebody could comment on the waste water and toilet discharge systems commonly found in Thai condos.  is there any reason that the virus could travel up/down from an 'infected' condo as happened in Hong Hong during the SARS outbreak?

And is there any infection risk in using the condo swimming pool?

10 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

My condo has stuck a clear plastic sheet over the lift buttons.  Easy to clean the surface regularly. Just don't cram yourself into a full lift.

Perhaps somebody could comment on the waste water and toilet discharge systems commonly found in Thai condos.  is there any reason that the virus could travel up/down from an 'infected' condo as happened in Hong Hong during the SARS outbreak?

My condo has also taped off 4 squares to maintain social distancing. Or should that be anti-social distancing?

Ive just helped a mate furnish his condo. Seems you have to come into contact with many people just to leave and re enter. 

Had one old guy coughing in the lift and hundreds of people touching all the handles and buttons each day. 

I know it sounds paranoid of me, that’s down to the gloom on tv and internet.

Happy living in a remote house at present, could be a life saver.

20 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Provide you isolate in your room, there should be no problem. No reason to think the virus can migrate upwards to head level from a drain, unless the water supply itself is contaminated.

The risk with swimming pools is the other people in it. Chlorination kills viruses. I try to swim when there is no-one else around.

• Like 1

The positive and negative pressures caused by the lift going up and down in an enclosed shaft will helps to transmit the virus particles which are suspended in the air which can then migrate from floor to floor .this is airborne virus  and no amount of cleaning surfaces which hinder airborne particulates from spreading,The same going with the recycled air going through communitial Aircon systems in the condo ...

Another reason to choose the small numbered floor (beside having watched "The towering Inferno" and being traumatized for life!)

Now I take strictly to the stairs, no need to touch anything, with space for social distancing as well. Thankfully my legs are still game for such endeavor...

When someone cough while you are in the lift with them, you have nowhere to run. That's how virus spread through confined air.

That's why I am renting a 1-storey house now.

Edited by EricTh

7 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

I would be worried, specially about elevator surfaces... and wearing gloves while using them and pressing buttons.. a machete to keep others out of the cabin while you are using it would help securing social distancing... ???? minimum is cleansing hands immediately after leaving the cabin 

my friends condo has sanitizer dispensers mounted in lifts, lift lobbies and at all common doors.

condo and a cruise ship are different, you can leave a condo, cook in a condo.

cruise ship you are forced to mingle.

25 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i lived in a condo for the first time in Pattaya for just one month. it was a very nice place. never again.

good luck everybody.

What was it about condo living you did not like? I love it.

I am surprised not more cases in Pattaya.

I have a friend at my former residence The Base.

There are still ST people from everywhere going in and out of the place. Packed and stacked in the elevators.

Online sites advertising less then 1,000 b a night.  

Seems a possible infection breeding ground.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I am surprised not more cases in Pattaya.

I have a friend at my former residence The Base.

There are still ST people from everywhere going in and out of the place. Packed and stacked in the elevators.

Online sites advertising less then 1,000 b a night.  

Seems a possible infection breeding ground.

I agree with bkk6060. Airbnb short term rentals is the key problem for condos in Pattaya. How can you stay safe at home if your home is basically a hotel. I heard from a Russian guy in my building that a recent visitor tested positive on his return to Russia. I am on the 26th floor, how am I am going to avoid using the elevator? 

23 hours ago, banglay said:

The positive and negative pressures caused by the lift going up and down in an enclosed shaft will helps to transmit the virus particles which are suspended in the air which can then migrate from floor to floor .this is airborne virus  and no amount of cleaning surfaces which hinder airborne particulates from spreading,The same going with the recycled air going through communitial Aircon systems in the condo ...

Proper condos don't have shared AC systems, i never lived in one that has in Bangkok. Most proper condos have positive pressure and there should be no infection risk if you stay inside.

19 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

This is not a joke but actually a good idea and being used in Bangkok hospitals. Maybe worth implementing in your block and minimising occupants to a maximum of 4 per time. Waiting for a while should be the least of our worries. 

thai hospital elevator.jpg

Our condo has this too, installed last week. also distance enforced, masks everywhere and sanitizer.

20 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Proper condos don't have shared AC systems, i never lived in one that has in Bangkok. Most proper condos have positive pressure and there should be no infection risk if you stay inside.

Our condo has this too, installed last week. also distance enforced, masks everywhere and sanitizer.

The same going with the recycled air going through communitial Aircon systems in the condo ... I was referring to such areas as :- Gyms .. Condo offices ... Juristic office....Reception areas etc ...As a rule these are communal areas and have A/C and have a lot of daily walk through   traffic ( residents & visitors etc)