Thailand closes borders to foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Max I am an American and I am scared Sh..le.., All people scare themselves as they sit back and and look at the big picture.....that picture is of things that are unknown, and fear of the unknown is why people become scared.  Time people just sat back and relaxed....

Imo, ignorant people scares the s**t out of other people. I don't know how old you are, but I never get upset or really worried about things out of my control. Even during the emergency decree and a possible "soft" curfew, it's better here than in many countries in for example Europe. I'm staying in South Jomtien,in an area most people don't know exist. It's like a neighborhood in the neighborhood. Local fresh food market maybe 40 meters away, 7/11 and Tesco Lotus Express 30 meters away, street food and on top of that 6 pharmacies within 150 meters. I even have a bar with food license next to where I'm staying where I can sit down and eat something and have a few beer every day if I want to. I have a good time actually,and I'm not a worrier. I'm living here long term and won't leave. 

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I always wondered about the special privileges The Elite Visa had and now I know that in times where desperate measures are put in place by the government here, the visa is worthless as a guarantee to return. Just like the rest of us on regular long term Visa's or extensions, if your not already here you can not get in. Sorry to hear people will be separated from families and their homes.  Only time will tell what will occur with those of us still here.  Be safe folks.  Try to relax.....

Nah. I live here in Thailand but I don’t want to get married, plus I have investments on forgein markets while keeping my tax residence here. It works great as it’s not taxable for as long as I keep it in the broker (and I have no plans to do so for another 10-50+ years as I got other income sources). This way I’m able to keep selling/buying equities without being taxed on profits. Just dividends but it’s not too high. Let’s just say what I save on taxes would pay me an elite visa in one month. I’m just 25 so retirement isn’t an option and rather busy most of time so student feels a waste of time. 

The goal is to become billionaire ????

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Many - from my experience in Pattaya and Patong, also in rural Isaan! 

Try to find open expat bars in Pattaya. If they have a food license, and do sell food,then "maybe" you'll be able to have a couple of beer. The "open" bars you're reading about are Thai bars and the owners got arrested and are now facing a 100k baht fine. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Try to find open expat bars in Pattaya. If they have a food license, and do sell food,then "maybe" you'll be able to have a couple of beer

No, today the police are going around  to restaurants  enforcing the  can not eat at the restaurant rule  take aways only.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JimLuce said:

I just received this text message. From the local government so they are now doing a great job of keeping us informed it’s obviously gonna take time because no one was expecting this so that’s the cause of most of the panic is it’s unexpected and fear of the unknown. Fear of the unknown is the hardest.

Anyway I just received this text message to my phone from something called PRD as it appears in my text message on my phone: 

ติดตามข่าวศูนย์บริหารสถานการณ์ COVID-19 ที่ www.thaigov.go.th และwww.facebook.com/informationcovid19/ สายด่วนโทร 1111 หรือ 1422

I got the same SMS yesterday, and I have no idea why... Certainly not anything I ever signed up for... But very handy... It points you to an almost entirely Thai language content web page.

47 minutes ago, alyx said:

Hum, I guess you are missing the point as most of the expats married and living in Thailand (somehow not my case) have invested everything and more to make a life for (accessorily with) their loved ones earning them the right not be afraid of being separated.

The general advice is 'rent', or don't spend more than you can afford to walk away from.

Those who invest and spend their total savings, then can't meet Immigration requirements are idiots.

50 minutes ago, alyx said:

I might add that there are not "correct" visas as far as the marriage is concerned as being married is only a factor which might be taken in consideration giving one a rest for a little while until renewal comes. 

I might add Visas based on marriage are for the purposes of visiting Thai wife/Family, not staying here indefinitely. Annual extensions based on marriage are for staying indefinitely, for 12 months at a time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The general advice is 'rent', or don't spend more than you can afford to walk away from.

Those who invest and spend their total savings, then can't meet Immigration requirements are idiots.

I might add Visas based on marriage are for the purposes of visiting Thai wife/Family, not staying here indefinitely. Annual extensions based on marriage are for staying indefinitely, for 12 months at a time.

12 month or 90 days. Both are NON-Immigrant O. Thus both mean NON-Immigrant.

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

You seem to have some sort of point to prove.....go ahead be my guest. Go twice as fast up your mountains. 

I wish my ‘bike appreciated me’

I’m walking like John Wayne after my last crash !

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Quite a confusing reply: The first part is aimed at people investing...financially. Do you really think that willing to risk one's earning, and everything else,  in order to spend one's life with the loved ones makes them idiots? I have, I would and I will do it over and over again...but I am a romantic

The second part: although your definition of this visa is wrong, you do confirm that there is not any available adapted visa for people who genuinely get married. 

Marriage is. nowadays opposite to its initial purpose, to unite two persons in love and legally staying together.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Airlines needs to keep flying because they can lose their so called slots.

Both the US and European civil aviation authorities waived the need for 'ghost flights' for slot retention a few weeks ago.

17 minutes ago, alyx said:

Quite a confusing reply: The first part is aimed at people investing...financially. Do you really think that willing to risk one's earning, and everything else,  in order to spend one's life with the loved ones makes them idiots? I have, I would and I will do it over and over again...but I am a romantic

You wouldn't be able to do it all over again though!

18 minutes ago, alyx said:

The second part: although your definition of this visa is wrong, you do confirm that there is not any available adapted visa for people who genuinely get married. 

Marriage is. nowadays opposite to its initial purpose, to unite two persons in love and legally staying together.

My definition of 'which' Visa is wrong.

Marriage does not give you any legal right to stay permanently in Thailand.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, it still a non-immigrant permit though.

Granted, but a permit allows you to stay 12 months based on Thai wife.

A Visa in contrast allows you to visit Thai wife, 90 days at a time and is widely abused.

Now with borders closures, those who were 'staying' as opposed to 'visiting' on such Visas have a problem.

Which comes back to having the correct Visa or Permit for the purpose of your reason to be in Thailand.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You wouldn't be able to do it all over again though!

My definition of 'which' Visa is wrong.

Marriage does not give you any legal right to stay permanently in Thailand.

It should do like in other countries. These immigratiom rules havent been changed since they implimented them many many years ago.

• Confused 1

CAAT says wp+fit to fly certificate, no metion of insurance. Donno if fit to fly certificate must include neg covid19 bloodtest?

Dear sir 
Currently, we have Emergency Decree on Public Administration in Emergency Situation from PM
We close  
Transportation in Thailand Sea air land ,But we are allowed 2 case for foreigners.
Option 1
If you don't have Work permit and fit to fly certificate We not allow you to get In Thailand.
Option 2
In case Transit and not over 24 hours use only fit to fly certificate,you can pass to your destination

We are sorry if this causes you any inconvenience.  

Best Regards,

Corporate Communication Division (CM)

Corporate Strategy Department (CSD)

3 hours ago, sitti said:

Other countries UK, EU, US, AU, JP all kept their borders opened allowing Chinese to enter during that time. According to your logic, it is only Thailand's fault.

I don't read anywhere in my original txt that only Thailand was responsible for the spread but I'm sure you must admit Thailand does have a large contingent of Chinese (or did have) compared to most other countries.

5 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

It should do like in other countries. These immigratiom rules havent been changed since they implimented them many many years ago.

Agreed, the rules are draconian.

Although even in other Countries when married to a foreigner, there are certain requirements to be met over a period of time to achieve permanent residency status.

Marriage in itself doesn't grant any right to live in a foreign Country.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

CAAT says wp+fit to fly certificate, no metion of insurance. Donno if fit to fly certificate must include neg covid19 bloodtest?

Dear sir 
Currently, we have Emergency Decree on Public Administration in Emergency Situation from PM
We close  
Transportation in Thailand Sea air land ,But we are allowed 2 case for foreigners.
Option 1
If you don't have Work permit and fit to fly certificate We not allow you to get In Thailand.
Option 2
In case Transit and not over 24 hours use only fit to fly certificate,you can pass to your destination

We are sorry if this causes you any inconvenience.  

Best Regards,

Corporate Communication Division (CM)

Corporate Strategy Department (CSD)

If you have a valid WP, then I assume you are paying contributions into the system and therefore already covered for Health issues within Thailand. That in my opinion is why you don't require Insurance.

However you still need a 'fit to fly' certificate, which I assume would require some sort of test.

The airline should be able to advise on how and where to obtain such.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand bans entry to foreigners, prepares emergency measures against coronavirus

2020-03-25T084651Z_1_LYNXMPEG2O0R0_RTROPTP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

People wear protective suits, due to coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, as they queue at the immigration center in Bangkok, Thailand, March 25, 2020. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The Thai government banned entry for all non-resident foreigners on Wednesday but held off on restricting people's movement inside the country as the government prepared to roll out emergency measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

A state of emergency will take effect from midnight local time (1700 GMT) until April 30, giving Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha sweeping powers to combat the surge of coronavirus infection.

The Southeast Asian country recorded 107 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, bringing the known total to 934. Four people have died since the outbreak began, 860 are hospitalised while 70 patients have recovered and gone home.

New restrictions taking effect at midnight include the closing of all border crossings except for Thai nationals, diplomats and their families, and foreigners with work permits or other official documents allowing them to work in Thailand.

"We are not closing the country, we are still allowing Thai people to return but for foreigners the country is closed," Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam told a news conference. He added that airports will remain open to flights from abroad.

Wissanu said the government had no immediate plans to impose curfews or travel restrictions within the country. But he said checkpoints would be set up to screen inter-provincial travellers and an "all day curfew" could still be introduced in certain areas if coronavirus contagion worsened.

The government on Sunday closed down department stores, malls, dine-in restaurants, entertainment venues and other public places for several weeks in major cities across the country.

It is still allowing banks, government offices, pharmacies and grocery stores to operate as normal but urged people over the age of 70, children under five and people with respiratory and other health complications to stay home.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-25

"The government on Sunday closed down department stores, malls, dine-in restaurants, entertainment venues and other

public places." What about immigration offices? Yeah I know, stupid question. 

21 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Let's see if the next move is to purge the foreigners already in the country. Nothing to do with the virus but such a sweet opportunity. Got your Plan B/C/D ready?

There are many countries in Europe which booted tourists/non-residents out within a few days.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Everyone is different, genetics play a big part in your immune system as well as your body type. Just look at those that are still active and working into there 80's, versus some 60 year old who are in-active, overweight smoke, drink, and have underlying medical issues such as heart disease, now get of your high horse.  

Just don't get it do you? Anyone can catch this, it is not about YOU, if you have it you will give it to others who may not be as well equipped to survive it. If you are fit with good immune systems then that improves your chances of surviving, doesn't stop people being selfish gits though, I will now take my high horse and superior immune system into Self Isolation.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Letseng said:

I guess the Chinese will be the ones who will provide assistance and materials. Know-it-all Europeans can't help. They go begging for masks and ventilators from China. 

Dozens of companies now manufacturing ventilators in the UK.  Latest is Dyson.  8,000 due to be delivered and installed next week with more to come following that.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Creasy said:

Thousands of dead. Trillions of $$$$ lost. Everybody's world turned upside down.

For what ?

Some Chinese thinking eating exotic animals will give them X-Men powers or it will make their peckers harder and larger.

What an absolute cluster <deleted>

+1.

This is the animals revenge.

Humans are talking apes.

There is no moral justification for them to seize other animals and kill them for food.

• Haha 1