Herd Immunity vs Lockdown

frantick

Herd Immunity vs Restricted Rights by Age Group  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Sweden, no lockdowns, pubs open, no fines or curfews, zero restrictions.

Average rate of new cases daily

Sweden = 9%

UK =13%

USA = 15%

France = 20%

Their secret weapon?  Surströmming

stink.jpg.2696ae8e6fcf5a7ac3cf4ba721e437af.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The only option is to manage deaths as a direct result of this virus. Do to this we have to have health care facilities which are not overwhelmed. 

People are indicating that the death toll will be worse due to the world economy failing? 

How exactly? where are all these people going to die? Yes, there will a knock on effect and life may be tough. 

There are also theories that the economy will bounce back and recover within a few years. 

Either way - how is it possible to predict increase in deaths due to a failing economy vs the predicted deaths of a virus which can be modelled? I suspect there is also modelling at play which shows deaths, poorer quality of life etc.

But could millions really die as a direct result of a poorer economy?

I’m interested to learn where these deaths will come from?

Less money to research illnesses? depression? (people topping themselves) 

Suicide!

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I hope they hold their nerve. To me it's just logic, if you kill the economy the effect on businesses and Jobs and lives is far worse

Sensible people. All people need to do is 2 things. Wash hands and stay 2m away.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Governments had no hesitation sending hundreds of thousands of their best and brightest off to die in 2 world wars, but panic when the old and unhealthy are threatened by this virus ( I'm old and unhealthy, but I advocate carrying on as normal ).

Seems most of those that answered the poll are of like mind to myself.

You are comparing this to a world war? You think the Allied nations should not have defended themselves? make no mistake, we are defending ourselves against this virus - this exactly what it looks like. 

We are still sending our best and brightest off to ‘risk themselves’ in this war against a virus - Our doctors, Nurses, Policemen and everyone else involved in the essential facets of our lives are risking themselves so we don’t have to. 

What are we asked to do in return? stay at home !!! 

You may advocate to carry on as normal, but my folks are 80yrs old, they still have time to spend with their grandchildren and a quality of life to continue on with - why risk that so that a ‘certain number’ of selfish people can enjoy their life?

Most have answered the poll are of a like mind to yourself - perhaps because, they are selfish and don’t mind risking the lives of innocent others so they can live a more relaxed lifestyle over the next couple of months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Part of the problem with the herd immunity, is the rapid overloading of hospital resources and the collapse of a healthcare system already under strain.

How do they cope with heart disease?

Swine flu?

Road deaths?

The numbers dont add up

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Part of the problem with the herd immunity, is the rapid overloading of hospital resources and the collapse of a healthcare system already under strain.

let's call it acceptable collateral damage

Acceptable to you... fortunately the predicted numbers without these preventative measures in place were not acceptable for those making the decisions. In doing so they may very well have saved your life or the lives of a number of people you know.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I prefer to live in a community which cares about people over cash.

If I have a roof over my head, food on my table and good health, then I am better of than many others and for that I am grateful. 

go on facebook and you will see post after post of Thais saying they have no money for rent and rice and their attempt to register for the 3 months of 5k baht was rejected

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

money vs lives is really what is being asked here..

Sure, but the lives that are likely lost are mostly from those worthless to society.

(I'm 65 and accept my fate, whatever that may be)

Edited by BritManToo

52 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Don't put elderly COVID-19 patients in hospital ........ problem solved.

• Sad 2

It's completely unknown how long any immunity might last. For some coronaviruses it can be about a year and others maybe for life. If there's no long lasting immunity how does the approach help until there's a vaccine anyway?

Most of the numbers being bandied about are meaningless. The main problem is how many sufferers are going to need critical care before your country's health system is unable to cope. If you just let it run and have hospitals over capacity and medical staff sick and dying, then a lot of other people who need critical treatment for other issues will also be dying.  

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Don't put elderly COVID-19 patients in hospital ........ problem solved.

But they may firstly be suffering from other conditions. I have a relative who has just died in the UK. He caught COVID-19 in hospital. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I haven't done the poll as my choice isn't there. We should have social isolation for at risk groups + social distancing, that's it, nothing else. All that is happening all over the world is killing businesses, killing jobs, killing lives.

Sadly another guy kills himself because of the measures killing businesses

https://www.stickboybkk.com/news/british-businessman-jumps-to-his-death-from-bangkok-expressway/

I'm sure there will be many suicides attributed to the measures to contain the 

virus, and many of them won't be businessmen, but average guys just getting by.

The linked article doesn't say whether his business was in trouble because of the 

shut down, but not many are booking these days besides food retailers and ppe providers.

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

it was rumoured that this had been discussed by the UK government. When the question if this was government policy was put to Matt Hancock by Andrew Marr, the answer was to a different question.

I believe although I may be wrong that this was the UK governments policy before the hysterical media forced them to change.

• Like 2