Wearing Masks Compulsary.

I was out riding my bicycle and not wearing a mask, not long after I got home, my wife said to me that a policeman told her to tell me

that I must wear a mask or they will fine me 2000Bt,

I am reliably informed that although they have been stopping people, it is not compulsary to wear a mask.

Is it the case that the police are the same as the immigration offices and make up their own rules?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few of the Pattaya news outlets as of today are publishing that face masks are going to mandatory when going out starting this week or a stiff penalty as well as a Pattaya lock down just like Phuket, No in and out of the city.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Just put it on and save the grief 

I think it is going to be very uncomfortable wearing a mask while riding a bicycle, and

what about exercising in the machines in the track going round the lake?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Everyone should assume they are a carrier. 

Everyone should therefore wear a mask. 

I don't think the right way to put it is "just do it, it is easier, ugh".

The right way to put it is... you are a potential carrier to everyone. To not wear one is to say to everyone "thank you for protecting me by wearing a mask, but I do not care enough to protect you". 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of days ago the police roadblock near Makro, Hua Hin was checking people in vehicles for masks. Lots of people pulled over. Fortunately my wife told me to put the mask on before the checkpoint just in case? Posters are up around town. 20,000 baht fine for no mask!

Thais in Phuket are going around with a slingshot to shoot at foreigners not observing 'social distancing' riding around in bikes and cars and sitting on beaches.

So, even if you don't believe in wearing mask to be effective against virus or whatever, wearing one to save yourself from lynching should be enough reason

My observation in my area of BKK (Ladprao) is about 80% of people are wearing masks over past couple of days (on the street, not in my complex). Not many non-Thais here so all people not wearing masks were Thai. I wear mine 98% of the time though when I go out early in the mornings (5:00 a.m.) to do some vigorous walking around the complex, I don't as it's not comfortable to breath through them when exercising and I'm not close to others at that time. I do see people in the mornings and 75% of them are police officers since they live in the complex near me. So far, nobody has quibbled with the morning lack of the mask. Hopefully that remains so. Of the police and their family members inside the complex, they wear masks about 25% of the time. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, garygooner said:

Popped out for twenty minutes yesterday in BK to buy food. Saw many Thais and about 20 farangs. About 80% of people wearing masks. Thought I'd count, nothing else to do. All of the 20% not wearing a mask were Thai!

Wow.mAnd you seem to have fully accounted for any potential bias that can invariably creep in to. Well done. 

Hum...I am confused ....the question is ....is it mandatory to wear a mask ? ....the majority of the replies are advice ....but the answer is “no” in Bangkok 

now, whether the OP decides to wear one or not is , still, his prerogative 

i must say that wearing a mask to cycle or kid is quite bothersome and certainly one keeps their social distances when doing that ....

not saying wear or don’t wear 

just answering the question 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

... get stopped by a coppa; and whilst talking - take the mask off to wipe face sweat off with it!

- if he gets angry, well answer that '...because i got stopped, I am now overheating' (no breeze)