Pattaya's Coronavirus Cock-up: Chaos on first day of lockdown as leaders scurry for rethink

webfact

21 minutes ago, smedly said:

24 million across Thailand applied for financial support, even if only 12 million deserved it only 1.2 million were approved, a lot of Thai people work off book (freelance), now that most of that market has been shut down what are they supposed to do, the government quite obviously doesn't give a toss and these lock downs are preventing needy people going to stay with family or friends

So, blaming Thailand and the way things work again. Seems to be all you can do. If you are going to continue with that, a good advice is to study the facts before.

Can you tell me what government that offers a relief for loss of work, includes the illegal part of that sector? If there is anybody to blame, that blame should fall on the people that offer these people unregistered work. They should be held responsible to pay compensation to the people that they throw away.

Edited by Matzzon

2 hours ago, Toany said:

They will have to sort things quickly.  The airports of Wuhan are open again.  Soon there will be hordes of Chinese trying to enter Pattaya.

No there wont, thats a complete fallacy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Government bureaucrats are supposed to have action plans for every eventuality. They have no excuse not to have one for a pandemic since Ebola, SARS, swine flue, bird flue etc appeared.

Yeah!... just like all the rest of the world has action plans for every eventuality.

With the possible exception of Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea, are you being serious?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, z42 said:

By some accounts of people on the ground there, the numbers of homeless and rough sleepers is exploding as landlords are being absolutely mercenary, and the governments inability to get any protections for the vulnerable in place are really hitting hard.

They were always there in the same numbers. Just that the hordes of Chinese and Indians made them harder to spot.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Leaders in Pattaya scurry for rethink?

Problem is they didnt think before deciding on a lock down, they just implemented it without thinking it out first.

Think is a verb that does not exist in the Thai dictionary;
in any case, to think you need a brain ...:crazy:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toany said:

They will have to sort things quickly.  The airports of Wuhan are open again.  Soon there will be hordes of Chinese trying to enter Pattaya.

I guess these Chinese will have to enter via the fabled porous land borders as there

are barely any flights in and out of Thailand these days, and a current ban on non

citizens entering.

51 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Atleast they are trying. Done nothing about the pollution or drunk driving that kills more but baby steps i guess.

I can live with the pollution and drunk driving, I have for years. This shxt is all too much!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, z42 said:

Disagree. The headline for this story is about local leaders cocking up and having to rethink. My post gives examples of how cockups up to now are affecting local residents are working, and how without a rethink will continue to sow discontent and create additional problems on the side.

Either way mate, we're on the same train of thought i imagine in how we're viewing the authorities" handling of this whole thing.

You may be busy on every thread pointing out cock ups! But good luck, one thing we do have on our hands is time!

Thanks for answering my post in the spirit it was intended!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Yeah!... just like all the rest of the world has action plans for every eventuality.

With the possible exception of Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea, are you being serious?

I think he meant all governments, not just Thailand's. At least that's how I took it. None of the current administrations in any country should be blamed for prior administrations lack of development of pandemic protocols. 

Edited by frantick
Spelling

4 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

When a good result is commensurate with thoughtful planning, and a disaster with little or none, this was to be expected. 

Whatever word Thais use for planning, there isn't a translation into any other language. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, frantick said:

At least that's how I took it. None of the current administrations in any country should be blamed for prior administrations lack of development of pandemic protocols. 

A few news  networks seem to disagree.... nuff said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tropo said:

It's not the worst (or best). New Zealand has seen 2 deaths, yet they are totally locked down and they were one of the first countries to lockdown. The 2nd person, a woman in her 90's, died today. They didn't give her exact age...

My father was 97 when he died - his death certificate says the cause was 'old age'. i Guess Covid-19 overides 'old age'.

• Like 2