The week that was in Thailand news: "Daddy, I want another Leo!" - Thailand in Phoney War as we hunker down for Songkran

rooster59

1 hour ago, PaDavid said:

What pandemic? What alcohol ban? Daily tots of lao kao before, after, or for breakfast continue unabated. Life in my village carries on much as it has for the past 5 years, which is as far back as I can vouch for. Most people here work on the land and keep themselves covered up better than a muslim lady in a niqab, so face masks are pretty much redundant And, one stands a greater chance of contacting Dengue Fever than Covid-19. 

Same here.

• Like 1

The week in review ...

One thing became very obvious: The last foreigners on here posting & drumming on forever: 'I don't wear a Mask' ... are all quite now!

Wow, did that go fast and took off like a rocket over the past 1.5 weeks. Exceptional.

Edited by RedPill

2 hours ago, PaDavid said:

What pandemic? What alcohol ban? Daily tots of lao kao before, after, or for breakfast continue unabated. Life in my village carries on much as it has for the past 5 years, which is as far back as I can vouch for. Most people here work on the land and keep themselves covered up better than a muslim lady in a niqab, so face masks are pretty much redundant And, one stands a greater chance of contacting Dengue Fever than Covid-19. 

Yeah!!

Ban smokers? Let's ban drinkers. I'd rather have a wiff of smoke drift my way than have a speeding vehicle driven by a drunk drift head on into my lane. Or off the road into a group of school kids. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, RedPill said:

On the flip side, they do this a lot ... ban drinkers.

Have you ever seen a country (other than a muslim country) banning alcohol so often, throughout the years?

Full moon here, big day that ... no alcohol

7-11, and all other official supermarkets, from 14-17pm ... 12am-11am ... nope ... etc. etc. etc.

Must be a nation of alcoholics, how else you can explain all those 'ban alcohol' rules, non-stop?

Does it help? Maybe not ... another topic. But 'official' banning's are in place, all the time, a lot.

I never saw these frequent alcohol sales ban's anywhere else. Did you?

Nz has banned everything except essential services, alcohol soldi supermarkets OK, but not sold in liquor stores big money rules 

On 4/11/2020 at 9:33 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

An interesting read as always...

I have truly given up on keeping track of all the minutia of the virus, but I am starting to wonder about the 'big picture' between binge-watching Netflix. 

The virus is going to have some fascinating effects on the planet and our societies; it is inevitable that humanity will need to make some changes and those changes will have huge implications and consequences. One change; as soon as there is an effective and cheap anti-bodies test (coming soon) to see who has some immunity becomes widely available, people will go back to work quickly as they simply have to. Those who do not get a pass from the test (and let's face it, many of TVF's retiree population won't get it soon) will have to continue to stay home/isolated and this will lead to two different classes of people. How are we as a species going to deal with that? Badly, if history is anything to go by. In time, a vaccine will (hopefully) solve that issue, but... Others will arise. However, that and other issues are for another day.

One measure that we should consider now is banning smoking (globally) to help in the fight against current and future contagious respiratory disease(s). Full disclosure: I was a smoker for 35 years and quit about three years ago. To those who feel that 'Reformed smokers are the worst' or that because I was a smoker I shouldn't comment on the subject, I say (respectfully) please place your objections inside your body's orifice which isn't normally impacted by the sun's rays. I was dumb as <deleted> for years, but I finally wised up, dealt with my addiction, and I hope others will as well.

As a species, we have been hit by three lethal, contagious, respiratory illnesses in the last twenty years (SARS, MERS, Covid-19) and it would be foolish to think we won't be hit by several more in the next twenty years. And, let's face it; the weaker among us, the ones who need or will need a lot of medical care/medical resources due to damaged lungs and/or their side-effects, are smokers. And, that does not even get into the ways that smokers can and will be vectors of transmission; anyone remember that one of the initial disease vectors/clusters in Bangkok was through sharing cigarettes (honestly, I strongly suspect it was weed; who shares cigarettes these days?)? Now, if there were some kind of benefit associated with smoking (with all the bad stuff, even booze has some benefits) we could continue on, but there are NO benefits to smoking. None. Zip. Nil. Nada. None. Should we penalize smokers now? At the risk of sounding self-serving, I would say 'No'; there are many (such as myself) who began smoking out of ignorance and I am too much of a Humanist to want to see people penalized for that. However, for people who start smoking now? Or, for people who do not quit? A different story...

I would be happy to see a global effort to systematically raise taxes on cigarettes and tobacco products every six (?) months, something like is occurring in Oz (I think), and the tax increases would continue until everyone just stopped for good. One idea on using the tax monies would be to fund global research into dealing with future respiratory disease outbreaks/pandemics, but off the top of my head I think only the UN could manage that kind of program and there would be the loony, right-wing Americans (and others) who believe in 'Black Helicopters' to deal with. I do not have all the answers, but... it is time to start asking the questions.

It is time to scrub the planet of the smoking scourge for the benefit of all; we are all going to need healthy/healthier lungs to fight what is here now and what is surely going to come in the future.

Not right to advocate one policy for all.  We are not robots.  Would you like to live forever?  I wouldn't.  I have had a great life and I have been a smoker for most of it.  When I think of all the great things that we used to be able to do but we can no longer because of the vocal minorities, I am saddened.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Nz has banned everything except essential services, alcohol soldi supermarkets OK, but not sold in liquor stores big money rules 

Interesting ... as you say, doesn't make any sense, other than $

16 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

You are undoubtedly one of the self centered "cigarette pigs" who behave as if they have the right to light up next to anyone who may be enjoying fresh air for however brief a period, especially when they are sitting and eating in a restaurant or cafe. Reformed smokers deserve 100 times the respect for having overcome a terrible addiction and recognizing and taking responsibility for the intrusions they have perpetrated on others. Vaping is available to anyone who cannot defeat their addiction, and of those addicts anyone who chooses to smoke around other human beings ESPECIALLY children is an absolutely disgusting self centered pig. 90% of the western civilized world has recognized this and as such banned smoking in enclosed and public places. The one good thing about smoking is that the smoker's addiction is not contagious like covid 19 is, but the smoke you give off and let blow into an innocent person's face is proven to be harmful to that person. Smokers, you are like heroin addicts who leave their used needles laying around for others to stick themselves with. If you keep your foul poisonous stench within the confines of your own personal space without polluting anyone else's clean air, great. But you don't, do you? You can get away with it in thailand so you run around happily indulging in your foul and reprehensible addiction. 

Funnily enough I absolutely agree with most of what you say except the first bit as I'm a closet smoker and smoke about six a day locked away upstairs out the back away from all and sundry but you seem pretty sure that you're undoubtedly right and a bit self righteous to boot so get your nickers in a knot if you like but please keep an eye on the blood pressure as it seems alarmingly high.  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Em150 said:

Yes, I would tend to agree with the reformed smoker. I smoked for 40 years and quit, and find it quite repulsive that people in this day and age still smoke. Dont get me wrong, I have the odd cheeky one here and there but those who smoke more than me must be plain mad

Just being Cheap Charlie555555

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mac98 said:

Ban smokers? Let's ban drinkers. I'd rather have a wiff of smoke drift my way than have a speeding vehicle driven by a drunk drift head on into my lane. Or off the road into a group of school kids. 

ban the lighting up bit...     en masse the unlit ones could well filter better than a flimsy mask ????  image.jpeg.56d402453aa767fa3606671da2c12e52.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2020 at 6:33 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

I have truly given up on keeping track of all the minutia of the virus, but I am starting to wonder about the 'big picture' between binge-watching Netflix. 

The virus is going to have some fascinating effects on the planet and our societies; it is inevitable that humanity will need to make some changes and those changes will have huge implications and consequences. One change; as soon as there is an effective and cheap anti-bodies test (coming soon) to see who has some immunity becomes widely available, people will go back to work quickly as they simply have to. Those who do not get a pass from the test (and let's face it, many of TVF's retiree population won't get it soon) will have to continue to stay home/isolated and this will lead to two different classes of people. How are we as a species going to deal with that? Badly, if history is anything to go by. In time, a vaccine will (hopefully) solve that issue, but... Others will arise. However, that and other issues are for another day.

One measure that we should consider now is banning smoking (globally) to help in the fight against current and future contagious respiratory disease(s). Full disclosure: I was a smoker for 35 years and quit about three years ago. To those who feel that 'Reformed smokers are the worst' or that because I was a smoker I shouldn't comment on the subject, I say (respectfully) please place your objections inside your body's orifice which isn't normally impacted by the sun's rays. I was dumb as <deleted> for years, but I finally wised up, dealt with my addiction, and I hope others will as well.

As a species, we have been hit by three lethal, contagious, respiratory illnesses in the last twenty years (SARS, MERS, Covid-19) and it would be foolish to think we won't be hit by several more in the next twenty years. And, let's face it; the weaker among us, the ones who need or will need a lot of medical care/medical resources due to damaged lungs and/or their side-effects, are smokers. And, that does not even get into the ways that smokers can and will be vectors of transmission; anyone remember that one of the initial disease vectors/clusters in Bangkok was through sharing cigarettes (honestly, I strongly suspect it was weed; who shares cigarettes these days?)? Now, if there were some kind of benefit associated with smoking (with all the bad stuff, even booze has some benefits) we could continue on, but there are NO benefits to smoking. None. Zip. Nil. Nada. None. Should we penalize smokers now? At the risk of sounding self-serving, I would say 'No'; there are many (such as myself) who began smoking out of ignorance and I am too much of a Humanist to want to see people penalized for that. However, for people who start smoking now? Or, for people who do not quit? A different story...

I would be happy to see a global effort to systematically raise taxes on cigarettes and tobacco products every six (?) months, something like is occurring in Oz (I think), and the tax increases would continue until everyone just stopped for good. One idea on using the tax monies would be to fund global research into dealing with future respiratory disease outbreaks/pandemics, but off the top of my head I think only the UN could manage that kind of program and there would be the loony, right-wing Americans (and others) who believe in 'Black Helicopters' to deal with. I do not have all the answers, but... it is time to start asking the questions.

It is time to scrub the planet of the smoking scourge for the benefit of all; we are all going to need healthy/healthier lungs to fight what is here now and what is surely going to come in the future.

So you are proposing yet another War on Drugs? As always, this must be done for "people's good". This deserves serious consideration. 

So much has been done for that reason the last few decades I'm mildly surprised that people are not yet 'better'. 

The Final Solution already has a template for action, written by a fella named Orwell several years ago. Check it out, it's titled "1984“ and is nothing if not inspirational. 

The sooner we get on with it the 'better' all of us will be. 

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2020 at 6:33 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

everybody is hiding away from the fact that China started this and they are free of the virus, with factories at full speed, surely that suggests they were not affected other than wuhan they at the very least must have a very good anti virus I would love to speak the full truth but it would be banded