Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

The wife and I have our SS direct deposited into our US bank account. When we first heard about the stimulus checks, I looked on Google and it said we didn't have to do anything and we would receiving the money.

I got my $1200 by direct deposit in July, and the wife received hers by check in the mail today. She sent the check by EMS to our daughter who will deposit it into our US bank.

Not sure when the check was sent. No date on the envelope or the check. So, for us anyway, the system is working, just slow.

....and we're back, with UPDATE V3.0

call the irs on november 13 to request stimulus check #3, got the trace started and changed my address in the system to my parents stateside address.

a few days ago, get my payment was updated.  my china address is no longer valid, so tried the stateside address.

took until today (nov 26) to log into get my payment, as the address was not the exact spelling i gave the phone rep.  check 3 times, get locked out for 24 hours.

*they used E for east with no period, although i spelled it out E-A-S-T

*the address was not in all caps. (my china address was, if not all caps would not login)

anyhoo.............check #3 is scheduled to go be mailed to my parent's address on november 30.  will have them endorse and deposit.  (...and baby will get so many new shoes for xmas!!)

After months of never getting the 1st disbursement which was to be automatic because on SSDI, I filled in the Web site and despite my having direct deposit, got a check sent here to Thailand. Told would take a month to clear Bangkok Bank but was only a week and the exchange was cheaper than postage.

Is there a round 2? I don't keep up on the news much.

• Haha 1
On 11/26/2020 at 6:09 PM, ChouDoufu said:

anyhoo.............check #3 is scheduled to go be mailed to my parent's address on november 30.  will have them endorse and deposit.  (...and baby will get so many new shoes for xmas!!)

THE NEW PHONE BOOKS ARE HERE!!!!  

check #3 was scheduled to be sent out on 30 november.

check received at the new usa address 01 december.

they did not, nor did i yet, receive a third notice 1444.

4 hours ago, khwaibah said:

I was a bit startled with this post.  But a little checking indicates that this was about sending money to NON-CITIZENS living overseas.  US citizens living overseas are legally entitled to receive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Positive news about the next round:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/12/20/stimulus-congress/

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/12/20/us/joe-biden-trump/congress-is-racing-to-close-a-stimulus-deal-and-keep-the-government-funded-before-a-midnight-deadline

I was denied my original stimulus payment because the computer somehow thought I was claiming myself as a dependent, so I'm guessing they will use this information to deny me again. I was told I can claim it on my next January's return (I didn't file until this last year for 3 previous years because of retirement) and that the information for doing this will be on the IRS site.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:08 AM, mtls2005 said:

I've given up trying to get my stimulus payment.

I am 100% certain we will be able to claim any missing payment on our 2020 1040 (Line 30).

Keywords: Recovery Rebate Credit

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/recovery-rebate-credit

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf

I'm in a similar situation but unfortunately still unclear.

I got the money is coming letter in Thailand but never the check.

I never started a trace because my understanding is they would send a check again that probably wouldn't arrive and I'm still not receiving any mail from the U.S. (I've tested it).

Apparently there was a time window where I could have entered bank details but I missed that. It's over.

I don't want to change to a U.S. address for good reasons.

I did call the notorious phone line and got into a long conversation with someone that didn't know very much at all but she did suggest I might be better off just waiting and applying for a credit because the traces take so long and then there is the mail problem. 

Also if I start a trace now and it doesn't work then I wouldn't be in a situation where I could apply for a credit because presumably it would have been sent already. So how many traces can one person do for how many years (ha ha)?

But this is why I wonder if people in my position can apply for the credit. I got the money is coming letter. So they sent it.

The credit is for people that have the payment due but did not receive it. Isn't that a little vague? It doesn't indicate whether it matters whether they did send it or not in which case the "normal" action would be a trace.

So at this point I'm wondering start the trace or wait to try for the credit.

Also if you apply for the credit you can still claim the standard deduction (not itemize) right?

Also there was a member here who I recall definitely said if they sent the check (regardless of whether you got it) you won't be eligible for the tax form credit.

Will I Owe the IRS Tax on My Stimulus Payment? (aarp.org)

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No harm starting the trace - although we may be past the deadline for that, at the very least fax or mail the 3911.

Also if you apply for the credit you can still claim the standard deduction (not itemize) right?

Yes. Technically it qualifies as a "Tax Payment", and not an itemized expense.

Also there was a member here who I recall definitely said if they sent the check (regardless of whether you got it) you won't be eligible for the tax form credit.

Member may not be up to speed?

I plan to include a cover letter documenting my stimulus payment history: brief description of my situation and attemts to resolve it (dates of calls, responses, submittal of 3911, etc.). Would exepct to get an audit of sorts, while they check the validity of my claim. If it gets denied I'll follow up then.

It seems like any second payment will now be a 2021 Tax Year issue.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

No harm starting the trace - although we may be past the deadline for that, at the very least fax or mail the 3911.

Yes. Technically it qualifies as a "Tax Payment", and not an itemized expense.

Member may not be up to speed?

I plan to include a cover letter documenting my stimulus payment history: brief description of my situation and attemts to resolve it (dates of calls, responses, submittal of 3911, etc.). Would exepct to get an audit of sorts, while they check the validity of my claim. If it gets denied I'll follow up then.

It seems like any second payment will now be a 2021 Tax Year issue.

Hmm.

Well based on a recent conversation it is not too late to start a trace for the 1200 check. It can be done over the phone (I found it impossible to get through to an actual person that could do that, I only had success with the initial screener) or by the form. 

My concern with starting the trace is that once started you can't even follow up with that for six weeks and as I said before even if they mail a check, I likely will never get it. 

So in that sense I would probably need to wait several months before filing the 2020 return with credit request (assuming I still will not have received the check) and also not foolproof as you describe.

Oh well. Thanks for your feedback. 

HOLY CARP!  oh man, that was fast.

at 6:29 beijing time, thursday, december 31st, $600 appeared like magic in my fidelity cash account!

jinkies!  i just received my $1200 check a couple of weeks ago.  (3rd check mailed to parents home address in the usa, first two checks to china never arrived)

i had entered my direct deposit info on the portal mid-may, too soon to the cutoff to be included in electronic payments.

On 12/30/2020 at 12:07 AM, Jingthing said:

I'm in a similar situation but unfortunately still unclear.

I got the money is coming letter in Thailand but never the check.

I never started a trace because my understanding is they would send a check again that probably wouldn't arrive and I'm still not receiving any mail from the U.S. (I've tested it).

Apparently there was a time window where I could have entered bank details but I missed that. It's over.

I don't want to change to a U.S. address for good reasons.

I did call the notorious phone line and got into a long conversation with someone that didn't know very much at all but she did suggest I might be better off just waiting and applying for a credit because the traces take so long and then there is the mail problem. 

Also if I start a trace now and it doesn't work then I wouldn't be in a situation where I could apply for a credit because presumably it would have been sent already. So how many traces can one person do for how many years (ha ha)?

But this is why I wonder if people in my position can apply for the credit. I got the money is coming letter. So they sent it.

The credit is for people that have the payment due but did not receive it. Isn't that a little vague? It doesn't indicate whether it matters whether they did send it or not in which case the "normal" action would be a trace.

Will I Owe the IRS Tax on My Stimulus Payment? (aarp.org)

start the trace if still possible.

they tell you it can take up to six weeks, but in my experience, both my traces for two undelivered checks took about a week.

Our (the wife and I) 2nd stimulus payment has hit our US bank acct as of 31 Dec 2020....we have a pending direct deposit for $1,200 ($600 for each of us as we file a joint return).   

Earlier in the year we also received the 1st stimulus payment $2,400 ($1,200 for each of us) right off the bat...14 Apr 2020 if memory serves me.

27 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Just fill out Form SSA-1199-OP107

A few years back when I signed up for a retirement check, Bangkok Bank was the only place to be able to receive the deposit. My question is if I complete this government form, can I now establish an account where an ATM card will work instead of having to show up in person. Is that correct?

1 minute ago, George Bowman said:

A few years back when I signed up for a retirement check, Bangkok Bank was the only place to be able to receive the deposit. My question is if I complete this government form, can I now establish an account where an ATM card will work instead of having to show up in person. Is that correct?

Yes and it can even be a joint account. Also, if you are a veteran and receiving disability payments they can go into a Thai bank account with form VBA -24-0296a.

VBA-24-0296a-ARE international direct deposit..pdf

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

HOLY CARP!  oh man, that was fast.

at 6:29 beijing time, thursday, december 31st, $600 appeared like magic in my fidelity cash account!

jinkies!  i just received my $1200 check a couple of weeks ago.  (3rd check mailed to parents home address in the usa, first two checks to china never arrived)

i had entered my direct deposit info on the portal mid-may, too soon to the cutoff to be included in electronic payments.

Congrats!! From last to first, nice to hear. Enjoy. Hope I get mine soon after all my time and troubles for the first stimulus.

4 minutes ago, jimgilly said:

Do you have a link that shows where you can get your Social Security benefits direct deposited to a Thai bank and withdraw using an ATM? 

No all I have is the form. It's been over a year since I saw the article and don't remember what publication. You can see on the form it is for either a checking account or savings account. You wouldn't have to go in person to take money out of a checking account.

11 minutes ago, jimgilly said:

Do you have a link that shows where you can get your Social Security benefits direct deposited to a Thai bank and withdraw using an ATM? 

I have seen nothing that say you cannot have them going into a standard bank with ATM/Debit card and online banking.

You will see nothing on the form for setting up a international direct deposit to your account that says you cannot have one. See: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

The only account that do not allow are those opened at Bangkok Bank for direct deposits to through their branch in New York and I think that is their own requirement now.

27 minutes ago, jimgilly said:

Not sure what link you are thinking about.  But if you want to read the SSA POMS (i.e., regulation) telling SSA personnel how to setup an individual's request for SSA International Direct Deposit (IDD) please review below link.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202402419

Some key points:

(1) the payment must be to a Thai baht acct...that is, not a US dollar acct you may have setup at the Thai bank.    

(2)  you will need to have your foreign/Thailand address on-file with the SSA as IDD requires a foreign address.  When you send in the IDD form this should result in the SSA also updating your address...or you can update it a separate request to SSA.

(3)  you can use any Thai bank as long as they have a SWIFT code as IDD using the SWIFT system; not U.S. bank routing number like the ACH system.  The last leg of the transfer is thru BAHTNET which is a domestic system which results in acct/passbook not receiving "international transfer" coding although it actually is.  You can get a free Credit Advice from your Thai bank each month (easy, quick, free if getting them at least every 3 months) and that Credit Advice will confirm it was an international transfer.    Only mentioning this coding issue if you use monthly income method for annual renewal of your visa/extension of stay.

(4)  The IDD exchange rate is determined by the US Treasury/its contractor bank several days before actual payment is made.  Typically the IDD exchange rate is approx 0.5% lower than the Thai bank TT Buying Rate used for incoming ACH/SWIFT transfer.  However, the only transfer fee associated with IDD is the BAHTNET fee which is Bt100 for most folks.  The typical Thai bank hidden/indirect international receiving fee of 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) does not apply since BAHTNET is used for the final leg of the transfer... nor does the Bangkok Bank New York branch hidden/indirect ACH flow-thru fee apply since the NY branch is not being used.   Although the IDD exchange rate is slightly lower, since the transfer fees are much lower at approx $1,125 or less you will receive more baht to your acct if using IDD; over approx $1,125 then using the restrictive Bangkok Bank ACH method put more baht in your acct when all the exchange rate and fee dust settles.   See below link/thread which talks IDD until you get bored. 

(5)  If using a special Bangkok Bank acct specifically setup to receive US govt payments  via ACH that requires a person to appear in person to withdraw/transfer money, no ATM card, etc., you can still use that account number on an IDD sign-up form HOWEVER all the current acct restrictions will still apply....remain unchanged just because the funds are being sent via IDD which uses SWIFT/BAHTNET vs ACH.   If you want to retain that acct number vs opening/using another acct number but get the restriction removed, then you will need to have your Bangkok Bank branch remove the "O" restriction (as in Oh not zero restriction)...that's internal bank coding that places those special restrictions onto your acct.   Removing the "O" coding/restriction turns the acct into a regular Bangkok Bank acct which can have an ATM card, online transfers, etc...just a regular acct.  We did this for a relative's acct who switched from ACH to IDD and didn't want to open another acct...with the O restriction remove the individual got an ATM codes, can do online transfers, etc....just a regular acct. 

See below thread which talks IDD at length....got lots of info/pros/cons of using IDD.  

• Thanks 2