Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

16 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

you used your thai address to register?

system accepted your thai zip code?

Yes, I used my Thai address and zip code.

I entered my address as I described and used the address on a letter I received from the IRS last year to make sure I entered what they had on record.

On 4/17/2020 at 1:43 AM, Why Me said:

says

“Eligible individual” means any individual other than a nonresident alien individual, an individual treated as a dependent, and an estate or trust.

which is not what the IRS says (U.S. residents will receive ...). I would go by the latter. But let's see what happens. It's early days.

The good lord bless the ACA but I am not sure how they'll argue that Americans abroad deserve a payment that evidently will not be spent in the US.

So I guess if you feel this way then Americans abroad should not have to pay taxes either, I got mine, wife got hers, were both happy.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, racyrick said:

Yes, I used my Thai address and zip code.

I entered my address as I described and used the address on a letter I received from the IRS last year to make sure I entered what they had on record.

that's not good.....

i've tried ten variations of my mailing address and none were accepted.  i've tried the 2018 address, the 2019 address (possibly not processed yet), all caps, initial caps, number before/after street, with/without postal code, and my 1099 address.

if they're going by 2018 address, it won't make it!  the address was split up for foreign filers.  ONLY street address went on the 1040.  the rest of the foreign address went on schedule 6, but not the entire address.

2018 schedule 6 had spaces for foreign country, foreign province/county, and foreign postal code.  there was NO space for city or town.  and the dropdown menu for country does not always give a country recognized by the post office.

no problem for you guys, but filing from china?  dropdown offered "china" but not P.R. china.  without the PR, our mail often gets misdirected to taiwan.  great, my check will go to taiwan with no city.  unless they get my 2019 return processed.  at least that had a blank to enter the city, although still going to the "wrong" china.

43 minutes ago, flexomike said:

So I guess if you feel this way then Americans abroad should not have to pay taxes either, I got mine, wife got hers, were both happy.

Good for you getting the payment. I am not sure I will because of too many "non-resident" flags.

Interesting point about taxes. I don't pay state. But zero federal? I dunno. I make my money in the States through investing in the US market. So law and order, defense, etc. etc., that keep the USofA safe, keep my investments safe too. So I am happy to chip in with a few tax dollars. And I do appreciate the form 2555 exemption on my non-US earnings. 

The stimulus is specifically to jolt the US economy now. But, honestly, if they give me the money not one penny will be spent in a US business.

So, I am not going to twist myself into a pretzel arguing that I deserve the stimulus payment. I don't. But I'll take it if they send it to me:-)

My check will be mailed to USA2Me in Houston.

My bank there says I can deposit using their mobile app. But I can not install that app here.

And even if I use a VPN to hide where I am...I think the mobile app wants you to take a photo of the check. Front and back...endorsed I guess.

Another option is to send the check here..endorse it and include a deposit slip. Send it back to them.

That will cost upwards of $50. That's not an issue.

What is, and this may have been answered in another post, Is DHL or FedEx working??

4 days over and 4 days back??

17 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

My check will be mailed to USA2Me in Houston.

My bank there says I can deposit using their mobile app. But I can not install that app here.

And even if I use a VPN to hide where I am...I think the mobile app wants you to take a photo of the check. Front and back...endorsed I guess.

Another option is to send the check here..endorse it and include a deposit slip. Send it back to them.

That will cost upwards of $50. That's not an issue.

What is, and this may have been answered in another post, Is DHL or FedEx working??

4 days over and 4 days back??

You can change your location in Google Play Appstore to be able to download...if your location is currently Thailand...change to USA...can make one change per year.

Which bank...my location is Thailand and I'm able to load apps from Wachovia, Chase and Schwab without issues ?

For you folks receiving social security benefits, receive additional for a child(ren), "and" who did not file a 2018/2019 return listing the child, below is a partial quote of an 20 Apr 2020 email I got from SSA.   A right below that is the more detailed press release mentioned in the email

Basically if you don't provide the requested info regarding your child(ren) by 22 April 2020 as described below you will only initially receive a $1200 stimulus payment and not the extra $500 per kid.   However, you will be able to get the $500 per kid but you will have to wait and file a 2020 tax return in 2021.

Act Now – Go to IRS.gov – A Message from Social Security Commissioner Andrew Saul 

Action Needed for Social Security Beneficiaries with Dependents and Who Do Not File Tax Returns to Receive $500 Per Child Payment

“Social Security beneficiaries and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients who don’t file tax returns will start receiving their automatic Economic Impact Payments directly from the Treasury Department soon.  People receiving benefits who did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes, and have qualifying children under age 17, however, should not wait for their automatic $1,200 individual payment.  They should immediately go to the IRS’s webpage at www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here and visit the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here section to provide their information.  Social Security retirement, survivors, and disability insurance beneficiaries with dependent children and who did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes need to act by Wednesday, April 22, in order to receive additional payments for their eligible children quickly.  SSI recipients need to take this action by later this month; a specific date will be available soon.

For more information, please visit https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/releases/.

https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/releases/2020/#4-2020-4

Monday, April 20, 2020
For Immediate Release
Mark Hinkle, Acting Press Officer
[email protected]

Act Now – Go to IRS.gov – A Message from Social Security Commissioner Andrew Saul
Action Needed for Social Security Beneficiaries with Dependents and Who Do Not File Tax Returns to Receive $500 Per Child Payment

Print Version

“Social Security beneficiaries and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients who don’t file tax returns will start receiving their automatic Economic Impact Payments directly from the Treasury Department soon. People receiving benefits who did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes, and have qualifying children under age 17, however, should not wait for their automatic $1,200 individual payment. They should immediately go to the IRS’s webpage at www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here and visit the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here section to provide their information. Social Security retirement, survivors, and disability insurance beneficiaries with dependent children and who did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes need to act by Wednesday, April 22, in order to receive additional payments for their eligible children quickly. SSI recipients need to take this action by later this month; a specific date will be available soon.

By taking this proactive step to enter information on the IRS website about them and their qualifying children, they will also receive the $500 per dependent child payment in addition to their $1,200 individual payment. If beneficiaries in this group do not provide their information to the IRS soon, their payment at this time will be $1,200. People would then be required to file a tax year 2020 tax return to obtain the additional $500 per eligible child.

I urge Social Security and SSI recipients with qualifying children who do not normally file taxes to take action now. Immediately go to IRS.gov so that you will receive the full amount of the Economic Impact Payments you and your family are eligible for.

People with Direct Express debit cards who enter information at the IRS’s website should complete all of the mandatory questions, but they may leave the bank account information section blank as Treasury already has their Direct Express information on file.

Additionally, any new beneficiaries since January 1, 2020, of either Social Security or SSI benefits, who did not file a tax return for 2018 or 2019, will also need to go to the IRS’s Non-Filers website to enter their information as they will not receive automatic payments from Treasury.”

To get more Social Security news, follow the Press Office on Twitter @SSAPress.

• Like 1
On 4/19/2020 at 4:30 PM, racyrick said:

A foreign address does work, but you only enter your street address and no tambon or amphur info. Also, do not use commas between your street address and no city as well.

Hope this helps.

Did your Thai address work?  I have entered mine like you said, and its still saying my information does not match.

2 hours ago, SilverBlue said:

Did your Thai address work?  I have entered mine like you said, and its still saying my information does not match.

Yes it did and still does. As I said earlier, I entered my address exactly as it appeared in a letter I received from the IRS last year as what you put on your return is not necessarily what the IRS has because of space restrictions.

Once again, no commas, no tambon or amphur and no city. Just your street address only and Thai zip code.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
On 4/15/2020 at 8:52 PM, Pib said:

OK, what about you folks with Bangkok Bank accts which you have used for past IRS refunds, SSA monthly payments, etc., any of you got a stimulus payment to your Bangkok Bank acct, repeat, Bangkok Bank acct?  

On 4/17/2020 at 4:12 PM, Pib said:

Just bumping my earlier post....anyone got their IRS 2019 refund OR stimulus payment to their Bangkok Bank acct, repeat, Bangkok Bank?   

Don't care about any monthly reoccurring govt payments to Bangkok Bank like social security, mil retirement, VA, etc.; just a 2019 refund or stimulus payment.

Another bump.  Anyone got their IRS 2019 refund OR stimulus payment to their Bangkok Bank acct, repeat, Bangkok Bank acct?   

Don't care about other types of reoccurring monthly govt payments.....just the IRS 2019 refund or stimulus payment.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Pib said:

Another bump.  Anyone got their IRS 2019 refund OR stimulus payment to their Bangkok Bank acct, repeat, Bangkok Bank acct?   

Don't care about other types of reoccurring monthly govt payments.....just the IRS 2019 refund or stimulus payment.

No, I receive my monthly SS payments into my Bangkok Bank acct and until now have not rec'd the stimulus payment. From what I see on the IRS website, we may not see our payments before the end of April or early May!

• Like 1

OP, I received my Stimulus check ($2,400, based on Married filing Jointly) on 13 April into my account, but, it was queued for Deposit (meaning the money wasn't available for us to withdraw on that date). 

On 15 April the money became available and I was able to move the money to another account. 

Note:  I received our check via electronic deposit based upon our 2018 Federal Tax Forms (IRS rule), so the IRS had my bank account information in their database. 

Since we were not anxious to receive it, we received the Stimulus check relatively quick. 

Nobody knows the future; Coronavirus and Covid19 could negatively affect us beyond any "hopeful calendar date", so I respectfully recommend anyone who receives the Stimulus check to wisely use it. 

Be Safe. 

And the main reason I'm asking if anyone has received their "2019 IRS refund or stimulus payment" to Bangkok Bank is to try to determine if Bangkok Bank is going to reject a govt payment not sent in ACH "IAT" format. 

It appears IRS payments are "not" being sent in ACH IAT format since they contain the coding of "IRS Treas 310" in the  ibanking payment description....instead, the stimulus payments are apparently being sent in ACH domestic format which contains less info than the ACH IAT format.   If sent in ACH IAT format the "310" would not appear in the description and instead of IRS being abbreviated it would be fully spelled out.

For folks receiving monthly govt payments such as social security to Bangkok Bank those are being sent in ACH IAT format so they arrive no problem.   But with the ACH IAT policy Bangkok Bank had to implement last year I just wondering if "US govt non ACH IAT payments are being allowed through because non ACH IAT payments from banks/credit unions/brokerages are rejected as of late 2019 unless in IAT format.

This is more of a curiosity thing for me as I've already received my stimulus payment to my US bank on 15 April based on my 2019/2018 federal return filing; not because I didn't file a return because of not being required to such as being below the $25K filing requirement, only drawing social security, etc.

• Like 1

If you are receiving monthly SS payments via Bangkok Bank, and have not received the stimulus, have no dependents, didn't file taxes for the last two years ...

Is there any point in trying to use the IRS "Get My Payment" non-filers facility to try and get an update on payment status ?

I assume that is probably as pointless as trying to contact the Manila SS office.

thanks, ~o:37;

• Like 1
1 hour ago, orang37 said:

If you are receiving monthly SS payments via Bangkok Bank, and have not received the stimulus, have no dependents, didn't file taxes for the last two years ...

Is there any point in trying to use the IRS "Get My Payment" non-filers facility to try and get an update on payment status ?

I assume that is probably as pointless as trying to contact the Manila SS office.

Doesn't hurt to give it try unless entering your SSN, street address, and ZIP is too hard to do.

• Like 1
On 4/18/2020 at 10:08 PM, moontang said:

Fine, since I use my parent's address...otherwise, worst case scenario, it is a refundable credit on 2020, so you could take it when filing next year.

This is a very important detail that is not discussed much.  The details of this stimulus payment can have substantial ramifications.

The stimulus payouts that the gov't is making right now are actually ADVANCES against a fully refundable 2020 tax credit.  The gov't is using your income tax filings from 2018 and/or 2019 to estimate if you would be eligible for a refund of this credit on your 2020 tax filing.  If the gov't over-estimates what refund you will be eligible for when you file 2020 taxes you will not be required to repay the overpayment.  If the gov't under-estimates your refund they will make up the difference when you file for 2020.

If a married US expat files a joint 2018 and/or 2019 tax return and his wife has an ITIN the rules seem to dictate they would not be eligible for any payment.  It may be possible that if the same expat files in 2020 as married but separately (no ITIN), then perhaps they would now be eligible since the final determination is based on the filing for 2020.

A US expat that is making substantial taxable withdrawals from 401K/IRA-SEP/IRA in 2018 and/or 2019 may have total income above the cutoff.  That same expat may be eligible for a tax credit refund if for 2020 he makes smaller withdrawals to keep his total income below the cutoff.

There may be more situations where good financial planning will improve the chances of receiving a stimulus payment.  There are several capable TV members that will understand how the structural details of the payments impact financial planning.

Disclosure:  I am not an accountant or enrolled agent and I'm not qualified in any way to give financial advice.

For further reading:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/stimulus-checks-wont-reduce-future-tax-refunds/

https://www.newsweek.com/irs-stimulus-check-2020-tax-payment-income-1498489 

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions-for-individuals

Edited by gamb00ler
anudder link
3 hours ago, orang37 said:

Social Security recipients have not been processed yet.

They will begin to be processed starting Thursday and you will soon be able to get your info from the website.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, racyrick said:

Social Security recipients have not been processed yet.

They will begin to be processed starting Thursday and you will soon be able to get your info from the website.

Source of your information ?

CNBC:  2 days ago

Those who receive Social Security retirement, survivor, and disability insurance benefits and did not file a tax return in the last two years will start receiving their payments by direct deposit at the end of April. 

Moneycom: today

The next group of people to get stimulus payments, according to a House Ways & Means Committee memo, are Social Security beneficiaries who have their direct deposit information on file with federal agencies. These payments are expected to be made starting in late April — on or around April 25, according to the memo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boy, doesn't look good for me. I'm on SS so should get the stimulus check, but the IRS website says I don't qualify. Now I see that those who have immigrant spouses without SSANs will NOT qualify for the check. My Thai wife is not an immigrant, we live in Thailand, but I filed jointly with her as my spouse using her TIN that I got for her ten years ago. 

Looks like I'm screwed???

• Sad 1
48 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Boy, doesn't look good for me. I'm on SS so should get the stimulus check, but the IRS website says I don't qualify. Now I see that those who have immigrant spouses without SSANs will NOT qualify for the check. My Thai wife is not an immigrant, we live in Thailand, but I filed jointly with her as my spouse using her TIN that I got for her ten years ago. 

Looks like I'm screwed???

Will be interesting to see how it works out for someone in your situation.  My guess is you will "not" get a stimulus payment based on your SS, because the IRS will see from your 2019/2018 joint tax return you are not eligible for a stimulus payment since you filed a joint return with a ITIN person.   I would think if the IRS database throws up a red flag for payment but the SS database may not, that it would only take one govt database red flag to prevent the payment.   And actually it's not that the SS database is determining who is getting stimulus, it will be the IRS using SS database info to determine if a person is eligible.

But as mentioned, that's just my guess/opinion in how the "devil in the details/fine print" regarding stimulus payments will work out.  I do hope you get the payment because I feel it's unfair as heck for any couple filing a joint return, one with SSN and one with ITIN, for the person with the SSN not to get a payment.  And even if an ITIN person who is paying taxes not to get stimulus payment is unfair in my book.   As far as I know there is only one exception for that rule and that's for a person with SSN in the Armed Service/active duty who filed a joint return with an ITIN spouse...the Armed Forces person with a SSN will get a payment.

And here is the VA's 17 Apr 2020 news release regarding stimulus payments for people drawing VA benefit payments but did file 2019/2018 federal returns.  Of course I just got the VA email today/22 Apr 2020 US time announcing the news release.   Anyway, it says basically the same thing as the SS news release on the subject.

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/includes/viewPDF.cfm?id=5423

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 17, 2020 VA Partners with Treasury Department to Deliver Economic Impact Payments to Veterans and Survivors WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced today it is working directly with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and U.S. Treasury Department to ensure delivery of ‘Economic Impact Payments’ to Veterans and survivors who receive Compensation and Pension (C&P) benefit payments from VA without additional paperwork or IRS filings. The ‘Economic Impact Payments,’ authorized by the Treasury Department under the 2020 Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, will be issued automatically to recipients of non-taxable VA benefits who did not file annual income tax returns for 2018 or 2019. VA and the IRS have been collaborating since the passage of the CARES Act to ensure Veterans receive their EIP. “Many have expressed concern that Veterans and their beneficiaries would be overlooked during the distribution of Economic Impact Payments from the CARES Act simply because they don’t file an annual tax return,” said VA Secretary Robert Wilkie. “This collaboration will ensure our Veterans receive CARES Act payments without any additional action or paperwork required.” Economic Impact Payments will be automatic for non-tax filing VA beneficiaries. For VA beneficiaries who filed a Form 1040 for 2018 or 2019, those payments will also be automatic. No further action is needed. They can track the status of their payments on the Get My Payment tool on IRS.gov. For non-tax filing VA beneficiaries, please note their information will be loaded on this tool within the next few weeks. For VA beneficiaries who didn’t file a tax return in 2018 or 2019 and have a dependent, there is a special step they need to take, and the sooner the better. They should visit the Non-Filer: Enter Payment Info Here tool on IRS.gov. By quickly taking steps to enter information on the IRS website about them and their qualifying children, they can receive the $500 per dependent child payment in addition to their $1,200 individual payment. VA recognizes that many non-tax filing beneficiaries have already begun using the IRS’ EIP payment portal to provide the necessary data to IRS to receive their EIP. There will be no interruption to payments being processed using the IRS portal, and Veterans with internet access are encouraged to continue providing information and track their EIP through the IRS portal. For those who do not have access, or choose not to use the IRS portal, their EIP will be processed without further action on their part. While no date for distribution has been set at this time, VA is securely sharing necessary beneficiary data with Treasury which will allow Treasury to begin issuance of Economic Impact Payments. For more information on CARES Act ‘Economic Impact Payments,’ visit: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know.

54 minutes ago, Pib said:

Will be interesting to see how it works out for someone in your situation.  My guess is you will "not" get a stimulus payment based on your SS, because the IRS will see from your 2019/2018 joint tax return you are not eligible for a stimulus payment since you filed a joint return with a ITIN person. 

How about I file an amended return non joint, file singly?