Can you live in a Studio/Bedsitter?

Got me thinking , there are a ton of Studio apartments in Thailand ,places like Bangkok and Pattaya

who lives in one say under 21sqm or less, how do you find living in a smaller space, 

and do you a have a balcony if you do live in one.

i guess it suits those more who are busy and active 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 years ago, yes - no problem, now we have 4,000 sq ft which is comfortable as have everything we need, was planned that way for retirement, certainly a godsend at this time, I wouldn't be able to stay in a small room all day - unless there were bars on the windows and doors!

21 sqm or less???? Don't forget the balcony is INCLUDED in that 21 sqm  so a big balcony and you will be either dining there or sleeping there

You will hear many reasons about the amazing benefits of living in a kennel except the most obviouse and I will leave it at that. 

Don't forget to write...

• Like 1

30 sqm is fine, with a balcony. I have rented several places like that in Thailand. I also prefer living in a modern condo with 24h security, swimming pool etc, and a lot of smaller units to choose from , under 12000 baht/month. So the answer is yes.  

• Like 2

Heck I am in an Extended Stay America in New Jersey while working away from home.  Not sure of the sqm.  But got a good rate and have full size fridge, two burner stove, microwave, laundry machines one floor below me, 4 miles to work side streets, shower and tub in the bathroom.  I plan to stay here for 8 months or until I tire of the job.  Two years ago in Melbourne, Florida I stayed in a Suburban extended stay hotel, that had all of the above plus a fitness center, and the kicker was I was 1 mile from work!  One mile from work.  And after a few months stopped paying hotel taxes.  Cleaned once a week.  Was quiet, had a nice view out the windows.  No balcony.

This is how I have lived on many of my contracts as I work away from home, but am getting a bit tired of it.  But it sure beats having landlord issues, damage deposits being abused, work contracts ending sooner than expected or desired (granted a few times by me) and other things. So if I head over to Thailand for 90 day holidays, no problem staying in a studio, but anything more than 2 weeks or so I will want a bigger size, 30 sqm at least. 

If it's for holiday visits only, ok...but living, don't do it. You need at least 36sqm and preferably a bit more. Once you realise there is no cupboard space, no floor space, or even anywhere to have a kettle, toaster let alone prepare food, you will regret it. They were built to keep in the boom for flippers and investors that had no intention of living in them. Even cheap Thai rooms are twice this size...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Yep, if I was single, that kind of space with a balcony would be fine for me, probably be out most of the time for eating etc, more than adequate as somewhere to lay your head, many hotel rooms are smaller.????

Cosy, easy to maintain and keep clean.

Exactly...when I was teaching high school..I spent two years in a studio with a nice quiet balcony, 28 sqm with only a few neighbors on the same floor. Away from 6;30 Am until 6 PM...pretty much exhausted when I got home...just out for some food, an hour of TV/Youtube and off to bed. On holiday's I'd be traveling. If not in my GF's house now, I'd consider doing it again especially if I were traveling a lot for pleasure...just a place to hang your hat and get mail.

A few tips...look for a newer building, there are lots...the construction quality is not always great so each building has about 3 years before <deleted> starts to get...welll crappy. Look for nice balcony on quiet side of building. Get a mattress topper...beds will be rock hard. 

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

Currently own a small one bedroom place with a small private garden. Suits me just fine. I have lived in studios a few times. Good for singles but wouldn't like it as a couple as there is nowhere to escape if needed. When I was in the hotel industry I even lived in hotel room. Now that is confining. ????

• Like 1

After living in Hong Kong for 30 years, my small one-room Thai wooden house with bathroom is like a palace by comparison. Mind you, it has a large covered garden terrace which serves as my office, living room and kitchen

It might depend more on the neighbors, but... 

As long as it has a door, sure, why not... of course, bigger is better... 

and it might be nice if it was set in secluded woods, w/nice gardens and a swimming pool..

Edited by kenk24

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Heck I am in an Extended Stay America in New Jersey while working away from home.  Not sure of the sqm.  But got a good rate and have full size fridge, two burner stove, microwave, laundry machines one floor below me, 4 miles to work side streets, shower and tub in the bathroom.  I plan to stay here for 8 months or until I tire of the job.  Two years ago in Melbourne, Florida I stayed in a Suburban extended stay hotel, that had all of the above plus a fitness center, and the kicker was I was 1 mile from work!  One mile from work.  And after a few months stopped paying hotel taxes.  Cleaned once a week.  Was quiet, had a nice view out the windows.  No balcony.

This is how I have lived on many of my contracts as I work away from home, but am getting a bit tired of it.  But it sure beats having landlord issues, damage deposits being abused, work contracts ending sooner than expected or desired (granted a few times by me) and other things. So if I head over to Thailand for 90 day holidays, no problem staying in a studio, but anything more than 2 weeks or so I will want a bigger size, 30 sqm at least. 

Good point, many of the name brand hotel rooms are less than 21 sm...more like 16..hampton inn, motel 6 etc..30 sm is fine for 1.  I am looking at a studio condo in a mountain resort area..24 sm..but you are surrounded by 20 million acres of open space.

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

Good point, many of the name brand hotel rooms are less than 21 sm...more like 16..hampton inn, motel 6 etc..30 sm is fine for 1.  I am looking at a studio condo in a mountain resort area..24 sm..but you are surrounded by 20 million acres of open space.

I gained an appreciation of smaller spaces when I stayed at a hotel in Ubon called The Bliss, 18 sq meters and fantastic design. I could live there full time. Owned by French guy and his Thai with....designed with comfort in mind. After I got home I really changed my mindset on small spaces.

I could, if I was alone, live in a small unit, but my needs are always pool, gym, and very importantly a set of burners for cooking with vent hob.

No ability to cook means all meals would have to be dining out. Cant handle that.

Unfortunately, that is often the set up on smaller sized places under 9k or so.

Also need full size fridge.

9 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

I'd be jumping off the balcony...  I love my garden and a lot more space..

You can still use the stairs or the lift. The garden will still be there when you arrive. Whats the rush!

Edited by ianezy0
  • Haha 2

I was living in a 3 bed house with a pool and garden in 2/3rds rai. However it came with a wife eternally wanting money and her father living in the house in later years.  The stress of living in the house was great and so was the cost of looking after the pool, electricity et al. 

We are now happily divorced and she takes care of herself and our daughter. I live in a 25sq.mtr. condo with a balcony for 6,500 a month including electric and water. I miss the garden but even under the lockdowns prefer my condo.

Edited by JusticeGB
Typo
  • Like 2