Anyone have know anyone who has been infected?

likerdup1

OK, to reply to the original question I actually do.  However I am in Phuket.  My friend was taken seriously ill yesterday - primary cause was not covid-19, however he did have a cough and a headache.  He went by ambulance(kudos to whoever thought up the hazmat gear).  Tested for covid-19 and sent to an icu at another hospital.  He has no insurance but has a stash of dosh. He could have gone to one of the three main private hospitals here.  He ended up in the government hospital(which he has to pay for) and we are awaiting the covid-19 test results which should be available this afternoon/evening.

Other than that the only two people I know of(but not personally know) is Prince charles and Boris Johnson!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

yep you sure are guessing. One of my best friend went to BNH last week, had/has textbook Covid 19 symptoms. He was admitted asap with great care and attention. He is positive but recovering on oxygen and a suite of med's. 

TLAs aren't very helpful

On 4/14/2020 at 10:55 AM, bkk6060 said:

No it does not.

The fact that the hospitals here are not overwhelmed and crying for ICU equipment certainly is an indicator the number of hospitalizations are very very low.

I have a friend who has a gf who works in a hospital in Pattaya and she told him they have admitted only one covid patient.

But 3 nurses are still infected at hospital...

On 4/14/2020 at 10:41 AM, likerdup1 said:

Anyone have any friends or friends of friends who have been infected?

No, but I know someone (see your title). They're still the same ones I listed last week on a similar question/thread. Tom, Charles, Rita and Boris. ????

Getting back on topic, I don't personally know anyone who has died from the virus, been sick with the virus, or has even been tested positive for the virus--same for my partner and his extended Thai family.  We were notified by condo management that a resident in our Bangkok condo project had become ill with the virus.  So far, no further notices so that is the only one I know of.  

On 4/14/2020 at 11:31 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I'm guessing private hospitals will treat you as a leper and tell you to go elsewhere probably a designated govt hospital in your area. The govt has told hospitals they MUST treat people, how that works in practice i don't know

I had a friend admitted to Chiang Mai Ram with suspected Covid just over a week ago.

He tells me that he received excellent service and treatment which reflects what my family have experienced in the nine years we have been dealing with them.

Neither I nor any of my Thai and farang friends in Phuket, Chiang Mai, Udonthani, or Pattaya personally know anyone who has or had COVID-19. The current daily infection rate is 1 per 2.3 million people, so it's not surprising.

Edited by Mac98
Add clarification.

Yes , 1 far family member ( i did not personally know her , since she is grandmother of nephews wive ) has died of C19 , and i know a couple of others who are confirmed sick also ( they are younger so they are ok again ) . 1 friend of my parents is in the hospital in serious condition , not too sure if he will make it or not .

All cases are not in Thailand .

Based on symptoms in February my whole family suspects we have already been infected, but of course there is no way to know without being tested.  As my children are homeschooled, best guess is we caught the virus from my brother in law who is a taxi driver as he showed mild symptoms first. Really could have been any similar virus though, and there is no way to tell. I was in bed delirious for 2 days. Since we are unwilling to pay money for a private test, and because the outcome changes nothing in any case, it will forever remain a mystery.

I suspect there are millions in this situation though, and it makes you wonder if this partially explains the low figures in Thailand.

17 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Based on symptoms in February my whole family suspects we have already been infected, but of course there is no way to know without being tested.  As my children are homeschooled, best guess is we caught the virus from my brother in law who is a taxi driver as he showed mild symptoms first. Really could have been any similar virus though, and there is no way to tell. I was in bed delirious for 2 days. Since we are unwilling to pay money for a private test, and because the outcome changes nothing in any case, it will forever remain a mystery.

I suspect there are millions in this situation though, and it makes you wonder if this partially explains the low figures in Thailand.

I find myself in a similar situation. 

The test is only good for treatment and statistical  purposes. If you are tested and the result is positive (you have the Covid19) then they know how to treat you, but if you are tested and the results are negative, then it is a waste of your money because it is a snapshot in time , it does not tell you if you had it  for that you need an antibody test,

It tells you that at the time of the test you are not infected but 10 minutes later you could. 

It would be good if they had the antibody tests available so that those of us who suspect that we might had it can go on with our lives, and might even be able to help others. 

Edited by sirineou
typo

On 4/14/2020 at 5:33 AM, bert bloggs said:

One of my wifes running club members had a temp of 39.5 was very worried and went there for a test ,it came back negative .i believe it was free.

A Thai friend posted on her facebook a post from one of her feeds of a Thai guy that got treated in BKK. He went to Ramathibodi in BKK (on a sunday) to get tested. It took 5hrs to get tested and then was told to go home and wait for them to call him on Monday. Monday they called said he tested positive and they would pick him up. Short of it, he was isolated in a room had to take is own temperature and only video chatted with doctors, nurses. He said there we 20 people there that all worked at the same bar in Nana.  He spent 13 days in the hosp and there was no charge. however, he is Thai.  I dont want to put the Facebook link, but if wanted I can post what he wrote.   

Yes, I know of four people that have tested positive for the coronavirus.  Three of them that I work with.  They are currently being treated and are in quarantine.  Another one hasn't tested positive but his GF who he lives with did test positive.  He is now in self-quarantine and has been for the past 10 days.  I do not have any symptoms and plan on keeping it that way.  There are about 4X the numbers of positive cases and deaths in my one county then in the entire country of Thailand.