Getting in to Thailand!

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Any return to Thailand may be well in the future if what was posted by The Nation today (one mans opinion - so we can hope not the last word).

If above become the rule suspect there will not be any visa exempt entry.  But probably the only reliable prediction - is that we can not.

And IF That Quote turns out to be True......Who the Hell would want to come here anyway ??

23 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

And IF That Quote turns out to be True......Who the Hell would want to come here anyway ??

I'm hard pressed to think of border countries that provide visa exempt. I travel to Vietnam every 3 weeks and obtain four 3month multi per year. Yes realize many countries can obtain 15 day visa exempt Vietnam. Many of big boys cannot.

One could argue that VE in Thailand provides along with extensions and 2 per year border bounce entries has been not best plan. Allows ongoing living in Los with unpredictable airport entries.

Yes can also do that Vietnam etc however much more straightforward. You obtain ongoing acceptable visas.

Nong Khai Man. ..why would visa exempt entry be needed for Isan guy. 

Thai gf tells me it's Esan. Can't be true?

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm hard pressed to think of border countries that provide visa exempt

The obvious immediate neighbour that provides visa exempt entry (to more nationals than does Thailand) is Malaysia. If short plane journeys away are included, you have Singapore, Hong Kong and (for some nationalities) Vietnam. The majority of nearby countries provide visa on arrival when they do not allow visa exemption, which I consider acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

The obvious immediate neighbour that provides visa exempt entry (to more nationals than does Thailand) is Malaysia. If short plane journeys away are included, you have Singapore, Hong Kong and (for some nationalities) Vietnam. The majority of nearby countries provide visa on arrival when they do not allow visa exemption, which I consider acceptable.

Is that a joke. I currently have 3 month multi to Vietnam. You can't even enter. With or without visa. 

They don't even issue visas currently. 

Your typing past tense.

What future holds who knows. 

Will Thailand continue with visa exempt entries to all countries they used to.

Korea just announced stop visa exempt for Thai.

I have flight to Japan with Thai Gf December. Can you guarantee me she 15 day visa exempt as per in the past. 

Rubbish. Future is uncharted.

Perhaps my post was vague. Clearly no-one would be thinking about past rules.

My post was what's next!

8 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Perhaps so - I agree that there's not much to worry about, so long as you don't then go near elderly friends and relatives. I still think that a holiday will be viewed as not worth the risk for many, most people being risk averse as they are, so I'd be very surprised to see a rush to pack out flights, at least until a vaccine is available. That might not be such a bad thing - cheap air travel and mass tourism has blighted Thailand in recent years.

Holidays will also be seen as an expensive luxury for people whose jobs have been affected by the lockdown hysteria.

Agree the loss of income from the shutdown will negatively affect travel and spending in general. 

But, I don't think people are going to wait so long to re-start life; especially as existing treatments become more widespread / proven, and testing - which is being rolled-out now - makes knowing if you are safe to visit grandma or fly a 15-min wait. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

My post was what's next!

Proven treatments, quick tests, and a return to normalcy in a couple of months.  Eventually, a vaccine, though I don't think that is the "holy grail," as some seem to believe. 

As to the driving forces that ensures this - many countries love tourism-dollars, and that's not going away, any more than traveler's desires for something new and different.

Edit: As to South Korea offering 90-days to Thais - given the widespread abuse (illegal working), that might be a thing of the past.  Surprising it lasted this long, but I suspect the wealthy there liked having cheap, under-the-table laborers (a common problem in developed and developing countries).

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your typing past tense.

What future holds who knows. 

Agreed. Both your previous post and mine were based on the past which is definitely likely to be a poor guide to the situation for many months if not indefinitely.

I flew out of Thailand about 5-6 weeks ago and landed at 2 airports in china, in flight they were spraying some kind of disinfectant through the air in the plane, I could smell it being done.

Twice on the longer part of the flight and once on the shorter flight.

China is already having a soft opening and all are beginning to realize this virus can not be stopped only slowed down.  

I could see on the site I go to for tickets that flights are scheduled for May 12 Worldwide [ all in blue onward ] I think it will be closer to April 30 a soft opening with face masks, cleaning non stop of airports, mass transit, streets and some common sense advice.

You can not stop people from being with their wife or children in Thailand or any other country, so I would Expect this to ease sooner then just tourists coming in or part of a soft opening first, those who have a vested interest in Thailand as any Thai national does. 

I doubt that the night life in Thailand will open any time sooner then a full opening of Thailand which might be longer or around May 12.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If they go back to what was required before you would need health certificate and proof of a $100,000 covid 19 insurance policy. They could also add a 14 day quantene when you arrive.

That has to be temporary. The Thais want the tourist money flowing in and will not get it with such draconian restrictions. Eventually the Thais will crack and open the door. I just hope they don't open it too soon and let the virus back in again.

• Like 2

I am currently in the US working on a Visa to come to Thailand myself. I have friends in Thailand, one who actually works in Immigration. Here is what he tells me. At this time there is no guarantee whatsoever that at any time in May any foreigner will be allowed into the country on any form of Visa. What you need for a Visa at that time is of no consequence in that matter as you would not be allowed into the Country. That said, following the time they do start allowing foreigners into the country they will probably still be requiring a Health Certificate of Covid free for quite a while following such an opening, Insurance and any other requirements as listed for any Visa you may be seeking.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

That has to be temporary. The Thais want the tourist money flowing in and will not get it with such draconian restrictions. Eventually the Thais will crack and open the door. I just hope they don't open it too soon and let the virus back in again.

I don't' think the will be opening the doors for everybody anytime soon.

I think it will depend upon where you are traveling from. They may have a complete door closure for those from some countries. A 14 day quarantine for others and a coronavirus test before boarding the flight. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Edit: As to South Korea offering 90-days to Thais - given the widespread abuse (illegal working), that might be a thing of the past.  Surprising it lasted this long, but I suspect the wealthy there liked having cheap, under-the-table laborers (a common problem in developed and developing countries).

South Korea suspended visa free entry for 90 countries effective April 13th. Thailand was only one of them.

The headline stating that ROK had cancelled Thai citizens visa-free status was clickbait.

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/2020_02_TSA_detail.html?fbclid=IwAR0JnLH-Ldp2UOzSLXX0cq65rtfLnVPYeRdpPXWMNhtpouIJiD7V5olpBK8

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, thedemon said:

South Korea suspended visa free entry for 90 countries effective April 13th. Thailand was only one of them.

The headline stating that ROK had cancelled Thai citizens visa-free status was clickbait.

Good point - will see if they (and other countries) return to the status-quo, or use this as an opportunity to reconsider previous rules. 

Agree with above posters regarding a phased-in return to normality.  The virus is "wild" in the country now, so suppression-measures will remain, to some extent.

A COVID test solves the whole issue of folks coming in and safe flights - just a matter of having things "open" for visitors to do when they get here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

A COVID test solves the whole issue of folks coming in and safe flights - just a matter of having things "open" for visitors to do when they get here.

I tend to disagree, currently a COVID test shows that you are clear of the virus at the time of testing only, actually getting the results of the test differ from a few hours to 48 hours +, unfortunately there are no guarantees that the tested person hasn't contracted the disease after the testing and getting the results / travelling.

If and when they manage to get instant testing, then this would help enormously, it would then be a matter of cost and who pays.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He can enter visa exempt and then apply for non immigrant visa at immigration and then the extension of stay. No need for a non-o before entering the country.

does he not have to either self quarantine or FORCED for 14 days, than go to hospital to get a covid19 lab test and find a Thai insurance company for the 100k Us$, all this while being in quarantine and do this 15 days before the end of your visa on arrival as per immigration demands ?

I'd quite happily do the full 28 days of my leave in self quarantine if it meant seeing my family again.... We're doing 56 days at sea instead of the usual 28 due to what's going on... But getting a test in the UK? Unless you're really ill or a key health worker that's not going to happen anytime soon... So only option now is keep the head down and keep working... Don't see me getting back anytime soon... Stay safe... \m/

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

does he not have to either self quarantine or FORCED for 14 days, than go to hospital to get a covid19 lab test and find a Thai insurance company for the 100k Us$, all this while being in quarantine and do this 15 days before the end of your visa on arrival as per immigration demands ?

No quaratinge at this time since you cannot enter the country. We will have to wait to see what the requirements are when they start allowing flights into the country again to know if the insurance is a requirement.

There is no requirement for the covid 19 test if you are already in the country.

He did say 777 with 50 people on board so you coud keep 2 metres apart.

This relates to my post re "Airtravel being expensive" like the old days

With the modern internet we do not need to travel so much for  business & popping halfway around the world for a 10 day holiday will be for the more wealthy from now on (not a bad thing

for pollution reasons) 

Back to your question , stay safe & I think in 2 months at most you should get back to enjoy your 

retirement

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

I tend to disagree, currently a COVID test shows that you are clear of the virus at the time of testing only, actually getting the results of the test differ from a few hours to 48 hours +, unfortunately there are no guarantees that the tested person hasn't contracted the disease after the testing and getting the results / travelling.

If and when they manage to get instant testing, then this would help enormously, it would then be a matter of cost and who pays.

The main factor, there, is how long between test and flight (or visiting a nursing home).   We don't know how long after infection viral-shedding occurs with certainty, but I haven't seen anything indicating a zero-day incubation period, before viral-shedding begins. 

With the 15-min tests now being rolled out - once those are at every airport terminal (and nursing-home), this issue will be handled.  I don't see any technical reason that could not be done by June - or July at the latest.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

There is no Covid-19 test that will reliably detect those very recently infected. In the early stages, the infection is not widely dispersed throughout the body. The swab taken may not contain any of the virus, or might have it in such minimal quantities that even the most sensitive PCR tests may not detect it. On the other hand, people who were infected, but have recovered, may test positive as fragments of DNA from the original infection can persist for a while after the virus is 100% deactivated.

Once you have symptoms, the better tests are 100% reliable. However, for those who are asymptomatic, tests are just one indication that need to be considered in addition to other factors.

In my view, at the current time, quarantine with a test at the end of the quarantine period is the only almost foolproof way of preventing imported infections escaping into the local population.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:26 PM, Captain Monday said:

No that is unrealistic. People who are coughing and sneezing should probably not be let on planes but everyone who coughs or sneezes does not necessitate a cover-19 diagnosis.

Could this be the near and mid term future? Ticket prices would have to go up though to fund all those empty middle seats .... not a bad thing as the lager louts would have to get used to short haul again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/easyjet-coronavirus-flights-resume/

On 4/15/2020 at 12:13 PM, Captain Monday said:

I wanna get back to Chiang Mai also. When will that be possible?

My Girlfriend is probably is OK but our cat misses me!

When will that be possible who knows, if you are a farang you will not be allowed in the country until the current situation changes

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't' think the will be opening the doors for everybody anytime soon.

I think it will depend upon where you are traveling from. They may have a complete door closure for those from some countries. A 14 day quarantine for others and a coronavirus test before boarding the flight. 

Assuming common sense prevails

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

There is no Covid-19 test that will reliably detect those very recently infected. In the early stages, the infection is not widely dispersed throughout the body. The swab taken may not contain any of the virus, or might have it in such minimal quantities that even the most sensitive PCR tests may not detect it. On the other hand, people who were infected, but have recovered, may test positive as fragments of DNA from the original infection can persist for a while after the virus is 100% deactivated.

Once you have symptoms, the better tests are 100% reliable. However, for those who are asymptomatic, tests are just one indication that need to be considered in addition to other factors.

In my view, at the current time, quarantine with a test at the end of the quarantine period is the only almost foolproof way of preventing imported infections escaping into the local population.

First up I agree with you. The problem is in the detail. Thailand does not have the capacity to quarantine the volume your referring to. They won't even cope with returning Thai if 200/day lifted. 

Apart from all this is economic catastrophic consequences not to mention social discord. In most countries public have been amazing. So supportive. It has a finite time limit.

I think you need to differentiate between countries that actually do not want to have any coronavirus at all, Singapore, South Korea, and countries that want to look like they don't have any coronaavirus at all without actually doing much to make it happen, Thailand, Vietnam.

Despite Thailand having a lockdown of sorts it definitely falls into the latter camp as it's desperate to get the foreign currency from tourists flowing into the coffers again.

So there will likely be some sort of test before you board the flight, if that is possible, or if not (and I think that this is more likely) there will be a very loosely calibrated test on arrival that everybody passes (unless your body temp is up then they may look a little closer).

Either way imho you can expect a fudge of sorts to be putting place in weeks not months, there is clearly no appetite for a long lockdown here in Thailand, quite the opposite.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, tomster said:

I think you need to differentiate between countries that actually do not want to have any coronavirus at all, Singapore, South Korea, and countries that want to look like they don't have any coronaavirus at all without actually doing much to make it happen, Thailand, Vietnam.

Despite Thailand having a lockdown of sorts it definitely falls into the latter camp as it's desperate to get the foreign currency from tourists flowing into the coffers again.

So there will likely be some sort of test before you board the flight, if that is possible, or if not (and I think that this is more likely) there will be a very loosely calibrated test on arrival that everybody passes (unless your body temp is up then they may look a little closer).

Either way imho you can expect a fudge of sorts to be putting place in weeks not months, there is clearly no appetite for a long lockdown here in Thailand, quite the opposite.

So what's with latest spike in Singapore.

Can you pass on latest info?

While at it, did I misunderstand your Vietnam reference. 

One of first countries to close ALL business. Make face mask compulsory for ALL outside. Closed all airport. Stopped all visa and visa exempt entry. Etc etc.

I was there March 15. Everything shut. Before Thailand joined the game.

• Like 1