What are the options and repercussions if family member are now unable to keep up monthly finance payments for a car ?

Used to be that you had to be 3 months behind before repo proceedings started.

Under current circumstances they could probably get a negotiated payment holiday followed by temporary reduced payments.

Talking with the finance company is important and they would be one of thousands at the moment, company will be very understanding i am sure.

On 4/18/2020 at 5:24 PM, MekkOne said:

This teach a lesson: don't buy what you cannot afford... Never bought anything with instalments in my life

Didn’t you know that the world operates on credit part of the capitalist system cannot imagine what it would be without.

3 hours ago, transam said:

Has many uses, including a bitchy bloke.....????

PS. My aunt lives in London, Ohio..... 

Near Columbus. I used to fly there 15 years ago. A place where you pay 200 dollars a night for a hotel and put $2.50 into a vending machine to buy water , and nothing comes out. One of our flight attendants grew up there racially abused, for being a Vietnamese American. A <deleted>-hole. She is brilliant and attractive. Owns many properties so do her parents,  Who came there as penniless refugees.

They didn't buy cars on credit.

On 4/19/2020 at 2:13 PM, Captain Monday said:

Did somebody twist their arms and force them to buy a car? I don't have one Thailand or any other country.

Does Thailand have a system of individual credit rating like USA? I would worry it would affect the ability to secure a home loan, which as I said is a good investment.

Not sure about that. Having at least  small condo in my own country is part of my back-up plan. USA people are paying more than my loan payment to rent a dump, and the rents go up over time. Eventually I can pay it off or sell.  You always need a roof over your head, living in a car is not my idea of fun.

I think that comment ' Only if you're single' went right over your head ...  don't worry my wife struggles with english humor and she has lived there ......

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Didn’t you know that the world operates on credit part of the capitalist system cannot imagine what it would be without.

Get a Life. Yes its usefull but not to buy a depreciating assets if you have any sense, a Car isnt Land or a Building that shows a return. .not that yer Kids listen,????

Have them hand the car back. No since dragging your wife and you down with them. And why get the both of you involved.  It's  100% the family members problem.  If they are mature enough to take out a loan, they should be able to deal with the responsibilities that go with it. Make that very clear. 

On 4/19/2020 at 9:40 AM, generealty said:

Thank you to all that contributed with constructive advice. I will pass the information over to family member.

One more question is - is it likely that they will be blacklisted and if so would this be considered if they wanted to apply for a visa to visit the UK ?

At the end of the day they really only want the money.A few years ago my ex bought a Honda Fino m/c on the "easy" payment plan. After about a year she lost her job and tried to get out of the deal.There was no way on earth she could negotiate her way out. She tried everything. I even offered to pay it off in full but they wouldn't accept that either. I ended up having to make the "easy" payments for the last 3 years.The 35 k bike ended up costing over 90 k ! Never allow some one to make this error. Better off paying cash for a used bike every time. The Honda m/c run forever.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 11:22 PM, JAS21 said:

I think that comment ' Only if you're single' went right over your head ...  don't worry my wife struggles with english humor and she has lived there ......

Well I wouldn't do and get married for a visa, talk about expensive!

Cheaper to get Thailand Elite and rent companionship.

UPDATE - We have emailed the finance company on 3 occassions, so we could record their official response and print it out and keep with other finance reciepts just in case we experience problems a couple of years down the line, but yet to get a reply so not sure if they are working or not.

On 4/18/2020 at 5:43 AM, BritManToo said:

No house then?

Actually, here in Thailand paid cash for land and house in Isaan and paid cash for another house near the beach. It's understood that most pay monthly for house and unfortunately for cars. In the states I never in my life had a car payment. People don't stop and think what happens if job is lost, how long can I servive without a paycheck.

On 4/21/2020 at 6:44 AM, Captain Monday said:

Near Columbus. I used to fly there 15 years ago. A place where you pay 200 dollars a night for a hotel and put $2.50 into a vending machine to buy water , and nothing comes out. One of our flight attendants grew up there racially abused, for being a Vietnamese American. A <deleted>-hole. She is brilliant and attractive. Owns many properties so do her parents,  Who came there as penniless refugees.

They didn't buy cars on credit.

Alright, before you praise the vietnamese too much you have to understand how their money was made. The refugees were given much when they arrived in the US. 55 yr old became 65, 18 yr olds became 11, married couples were not married, they conned the system like no other. They would all work for cash money while collecting benefits. They aren't lazy BUT I'll bet your flight attendant's parents are still collecting benefits.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/23/2020 at 5:05 AM, jaideedave said:

At the end of the day they really only want the money.A few years ago my ex bought a Honda Fino m/c on the "easy" payment plan. After about a year she lost her job and tried to get out of the deal.There was no way on earth she could negotiate her way out. She tried everything. I even offered to pay it off in full but they wouldn't accept that either. I ended up having to make the "easy" payments for the last 3 years.The 35 k bike ended up costing over 90 k ! Never allow some one to make this error. Better off paying cash for a used bike every time. The Honda m/c run forever.

Wow thats a very bad deal. triple paying and not even to be paid off immediately.