Life after lock-down in Thailand - cheaper or more expensive?

Pravda

No noticeable changes to date. Going forward, I think that any inflationary pressures due to supply shortages or bottlenecks and government pump-priming will be offset by falling demand due to higher unemployment. 

• Like 2

I sure hope something will be cheaper ('something' already has). Some products in supermarkets are already 10-40% discount locally. I spent 20% less last 30 days thanks to Stay Home. Then my currency took a dive, and I received 15k less than normal. ????

Looking forward, I only imagine local tourism will see big discount, else all same before.

AirBnb currently huge discount from owners.

3 hours ago, Pravda said:

I'm thinking high inflation worldwide due to money printing.

Some retired folks from certain countries who have their pensions locked may be in  the world of pain.

Actually, most of the talk is about deflation.

Have to wait and see.

I think prices will be lower here for awhile.  Once interest in doing things/ spending money starts getting ramped up then probably some increases.

I can see domestic flights and hotel prices going higher then before.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The first thing I think about the price and availability of hookers.

Second cannabis ......... alcohol comes in 3rd.

I didn't know hookers were still available, unless you are talking ThaiCupid and ThaiFriendly. You must have pretty good antennae to sort the wheat from the chaff.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

my expenses have dropped by 30% since the beginning of the lock down. 

I’m sure you can get a freebie......if you don’t mind ‘sausage and two egg’ !

????

Depends on if the item in question is essential or not. If you can not live without it, expect government price controls to make sure it does not rise too much. If it is non essential, expect Thai vendors to raise the price to try and maintain their standard of living with many fewer customers. This will in turn kill demand further, evenually driving out everyone save a very few businesses. Those few will manage to scrape out a living on the small minority willing to pay silly prices.  For everyone else that product will simply no longer be obtainable and no longer part of life.

Seen this happen before in Thailand. It is a strange way to respond to economic hardship, but it is reality here. As the economy starts to recover and discretionary income rises, then the huge margins coupled with growing demand will eventually allow the prices to come back down as more production starts to return and sacrifices profits to gain market share. But prices will never go back to what they were before the crisis.

I think Adam Smith would have scratched his head in confusion in this country.

• Like 1

Life after lock-down in Thailand - cheaper or more expensive?

Thinking of how most Thai's raise prices after any loss I am guessing higher

It is an oddity I have watched for decades

House doesn't sell .....for years...lower price? No Way usually the opposite

I'm guessing instead they will raise prices to get back what they think they lost during lockdown

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The first thing I think about the price and availability of hookers.

Second cannabis ......... alcohol comes in 3rd.

so you spent all your money on drugs and women? bet you wasted the rest. now where did i hear that?????

Let's be realistic here people - the most important thing to discuss is if ST/LT rates will fall or rise.

I've been called "hansum man" more times in the past 2 months than the previous 5 years combined - YMMV

Edited by varun
  • Like 1

Hard to tell.. at the moment the price of fish (tilapia)..50 Bt kilo.. and prawns ...200 Bt /kilo.. are going down because of no (or poor) sales to restaurants and exports.. Export rice has gone up to levels not seen for 10 years.. good for the farmers.. From what I've read some economists are worried about deflation.. good for us in the short term but not good for the economy.. I'm a bit apprehensive about all the money being poured into the world's economies.. I think it is a recipe for hyperinflation... but then I'm not an economist.. I guess we will just have to wait and see..  There should be some good rates for hotel rooms if you are planning a holiday.. 

• Like 2