RIP Pattaya

Silent Tiger

12 hours ago, BigStar said:

Nah, same old story. Back already broken many years ago, last nail in coffin driven, golden eggs layers departed, tourism never to revive, Pattaya dead forever. Can cite posts for you, but not supposed to do that and posters get upset if you quote previous stupidity.

Guess you're new here. Our ace TVF Pattaya Coroners yearly exhume the Pattaya corpse (usually twice, low season and high) to perform fresh autopsies, confirming all the same reasons for the Death that supposedly occurred decades ago, and issue their own new Final Death Certificates.

For n00bs with low post counts, it's a rite of passage towards achieving forum cred.

Daniel.jpg.69b7d8994cd562a44530e6a42394f5c4.jpg

For our aged, fading old doomsters it's part of their last struggle to remain somehow relevant, to feel important in a world where (sniff!) nobody cares to listen to them, and to punish Pattaya for not remaining in stasis since 1995. Not that they could handle that again, mind you.

Bigots and haters all gleefully join in with sour grapes from everywhere to chant the usual chants. And we always hear a cacophony of croaks from the weeds just outside the warm glow of our beloved cesspool. A Death thread is always good for business, inevitably gaining lots of page views, and is encouraged in various ways.

Recently, however, with the appearance of a tiresome new Chief Mortician Troll in the neighborhood, we have 4 Death threads continuously updated, more in the News forum. The new Final Death By Virus trope had already been seized upon, so this thread is merely a repeat of the same as well.

Personally I wouldn't want a return to 1995.  Well, exchange rate, economy and pricing in Thailand sure.  But I prefer the 2019 version if Pattaya with modern amenities and more golf courses.  I like choices in decent hotels and modern highways from Suvarnabumi versus Sukumvit all the way to Pattaya from Don Muang.  I liked all the choices in dining and evening that weren't simply gogo bars or play 4 connect.  

People always look back with rose colored lens.  Heck, really the best part of 1995 was how YOUNG I was.  Now?  Shoot.  I couldn't handle "old Pattaya" at this stage of my life.  

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 11:18 AM, sezze said:

Yes they can be old and sick , but there will be food up there . There's always people living close by , and they will hand on food to people who do have nothing or are really unable to help themselves . Food is no issue in Thai villages , many things create problems over there ( gambling , alcohol , drugs , family ,payback on government/cars/phones....) , but food certainly isn't . Food is in fact the only thing which isn't a problem in Thailand .

Thanks, good to know

On 4/26/2020 at 12:40 PM, morrobay said:

Is that why in post #230 (your quote) "There are approximately 35 million females in LOS and a few thousand work in the Farang-scene " You are doing more flip flops than a pancake cook. 

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Please elaborate in plain English.

8 hours ago, jimmybcool said:

Personally I wouldn't want a return to 1995.  Well, exchange rate, economy and pricing in Thailand sure.  But I prefer the 2019 version if Pattaya with modern amenities and more golf courses.  I like choices in decent hotels and modern highways from Suvarnabumi versus Sukumvit all the way to Pattaya from Don Muang.  I liked all the choices in dining and evening that weren't simply gogo bars or play 4 connect.  

People always look back with rose colored lens.  Heck, really the best part of 1995 was how YOUNG I was.  Now?  Shoot.  I couldn't handle "old Pattaya" at this stage of my life.  

?????????????

I was in Pattaya in '95 and I don't recognise the city you talk about. There were loads of decent hotels, excellent restaurants ( at least one is still going ) and enough golf courses for the number of people going there.

Yes, the road is better- it was a minimum 4 hour trip on a good day back then, but all part of the adventure.

City now may have more shopping malls, but how many almost empty shopping malls does one city need?

At least back then one could swim in Jomptien without fear of the lurgy, the Pattaya beach walkway was brilliant, and there were not massive traffic jams. Walking Street didn't exist as such, but Soi 8 was as good and didn't have those wannabe farang cops strutting around as if they are important.

I'll take Pattaya '95 over the present catastrophe any day.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

8 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Pattaya isn't going away but will never be the same again.  Not now, not ever.

It could survive quite nicely though, with a bit of thinking outside the box, and some sane immigration policies for retirees.

What single male retiree wants to stay in a depressing western country with a ruined economy if they have the means to go live in a nice warm country with pleasant girls to have live in with them? So long as they are still able to get the pension and have a bit of savings, many would prefer Pattaya. Just need to be able to get decent lodgings and better immigration policies. Would also need to be able to buy affordable health insurance. At the moment it's ridiculous price ( which is why I had to leave ).

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 6:26 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Dreaming is allowed. The ladies won't return till the mongers do and that is who knows how far away.

Nonsense, Majority of the girls working in bar receive a monthly salary. It may not be much after deductions from lady drink quota and bar fines but its more then them making nothing sitting in the village.

5 minutes ago, time2093 said:

Nonsense, Majority of the girls working in bar receive a monthly salary. It may not be much after deductions from lady drink quota and bar fines but its more then them making nothing sitting in the village.

I hear quite a few are still around, offering odd services to no-one in particular at low prices.

16 minutes ago, time2093 said:

IF they get enough wages to pay rent, power, water, food they might stay and live in hope, but many will prefer going home where they can spend the day gossiping. My ex's dream was to return home to live with her mother.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IF they get enough wages to pay rent, power, water, food they might stay and live in hope, but many will prefer going home where they can spend the day gossiping. My ex's dream was to return home to live with her mother.

Mine too, or at least live close by. Now that the mother's health is failing the pressure is high. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 5:20 PM, kingdong said:

A dirty little overpriced town with air pollution in the danger levels,what makes everyone think pattaya is such a hot commodity? ( apart from the prostitution? )

( apart from the prostitution? )   thats just it it was around for that purpose only, if not for the mongers the place would not and will not exist and here we have people being disgusted with this well alls i can say is dont come here

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2020 at 1:37 PM, yogi100 said:

It was us 'visiting western sex tourists, old farang slobs and worn out clapped out divorced bitter men' who actually put Pattaya on the map and brought a degree of prosperity to a little unheard of village that went on to become a city.

In the '80s and '90s Thailand was a very poor country and the money we spent on our holiday which we'd often taken many months or possibly a year to save up for made all the difference to the Thai people who worked in the tourist industry of Pattaya. And to a large extent that of their families up in the villages as well.

Even these days many working men still save much of their income simply to spend a few weeks in the resort that they have come to love and regard as a second home.

well said 

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, spoon1967 said:

A lot of posts claiming Pattaya won't be the same and that tourists have been ripped off for years? 

Great hotels for around 1000 B or less (DHotel and example), food is very cheap if you shop at the right places, 10 baht for a ride on the 'baht bus', beers still around  45 baht all along new Plaza, Soi Bukhoew, etc, female company still 2000 baht LT, full body massage 300 baht, taxi to BKK 1000 baht, clothes, shoes all cheap, pharmacies not expensive, 7/11 etc all cheap, obviously the exchange not as good as it was 10 years ago, but you can still have great cheap holiday compared with getting the same services in Europe etc. 

If you're getting ripped off, you're allowing it.

Pattaya will be back to normal.

main thing stuffing it up is the high baht how the hell is it staying so high, Oz doller is at the same level it was at in 1990 the first time i come to Thailand

On 4/23/2020 at 1:25 PM, Leaver said:

Yes, Pattaya has always bounced back, but I think it will take a long time for this bounce back to come, and the bounce will not be so high.

if it works out that way that will be awesome

On 4/23/2020 at 4:59 PM, kingdong said:

Too true,and once they,'ve destroyed the farang tourist industry perhaps they,'ll start on the ex pats who decided to make Thailand their home.

thats already happening and has been for some time

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Isn,t the average wage 3,000 baht for a bargirl 3,000 per month? Would just about cover her rent,they have to make their money up with commission from lady drinks and shaking their money makers to make up a living wage

14 hours ago, rodpav said:

( apart from the prostitution? )   thats just it it was around for that purpose only, if not for the mongers the place would not and will not exist and here we have people being disgusted with this well alls i can say is dont come here

My comments where directed at those trying to get the platinum American express card holders the tourism authorities seem so desperate to attract,as I occasionally indulge in a bit of naughty I will come here if and when I want to,i,'ve just noticed in the past couple of years the girls have got very lairy down in no small part to mugs putting them on pedestals,and "sponsoring " them.

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

Isn,t the average wage 3,000 baht for a bargirl 3,000 per month? Would just about cover her rent,they have to make their money up with commission from lady drinks and shaking their money makers to make up a living wage

Just before the Corona crisis the average wage for a girl in a classic beer bar was between 5000

and 7000 \ month. Most have a free room above the bar (Or with a very low rent).

It's not a lot if you consider they work 12 hours\day 6 days\week

You are right they do their real money with the commisions, not on the ladydrink

(It's only 30 to 50 bahts for the girl on a lady drink) but if they are enough lucky to

have a good customer in long time, with the triple bonus all food expenses paid by

the customer plus the price for the long time plus the tip (And of course the % onthe barfine) 

57 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Just before the Corona crisis the average wage for a girl in a classic beer bar was between 5000

and 7000 \ month. Most have a free room above the bar (Or with a very low rent).

It's not a lot if you consider they work 12 hours\day 6 days\week

You are right they do their real money with the commisions, not on the ladydrink

(It's only 30 to 50 bahts for the girl on a lady drink) but if they are enough lucky to

have a good customer in long time, with the triple bonus all food expenses paid by

the customer plus the price for the long time plus the tip (And of course the % onthe barfine) 

Yeah you,'re probably right about the wages,been coming here too long the trips all seem to merge into one,one thing a lot of punters seem to ignore whilst speculating about pattaya future is there's a current world wide emergency going on both financial and medically the economy of the world will have a far greater effect on pattaya s economy than anything Thailand do,'es  in the future.

On April 26, 2020 at 5:58 AM, scubascuba3 said:

i think the opposite, this will make them realise how 1000s are reliant on the sex industry and will be happy when it comes back again

Is this why they are changing the market to different nationalities?

face it, for several years they don't want the sextourists there.

very small fraction of tourist numbers. 

Low end expats and retirees in Thailand trying to make ends meet, for the most part, walk around pattaya high rollers?????????????

yes some tourists come with money, but those living there are cheap Charlie's, I'm sure even the Chinese and Indians shake there heads at pattayas finest.

sitting in soi buckow, eating at tin cup.

dont see many of them paying huge for gogo gals.

3 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Low end expats and retirees in Thailand trying to make ends meet, for the most part, walk around pattaya high rollers?????????????

yes some tourists come with money, but those living there are cheap Charlie's, I'm sure even the Chinese and Indians shake there heads at pattayas finest.

What a good idea get rid of the lager louts and concentrate on high class clientle,just like Spain did 30 years ago,lot nicer places you can go to than pattaya.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:15 AM, rumak said:

back to the good ole days.   walking down the street and throngs of ladies calling you hansum man.        

In the good old days in Loei, I didn't have to walk down the street.  The girls who worked at the residential whorehouse a few houses up would walk past my house.  Got a free sample one afternoon.  Better than the 60 Baht place my Thai co-workers took me to one evening.

Best was a place in BKK down by some government buildings - the Panayang Tong hotel.  90 Baht for a BJ and lay, including short time room.  Maybe that was the early bird special in the afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

Could you be more negative? why hate others so much?

That's one thing we could all learn from them,their family loyalty.

There are a lot of relatives nearby who seem to be more wrapped up in their own lives. I am inclines to agree to a degree, but 'self' loyalty is strong here too. 

What a good idea get rid of the lager louts and concentrate on high class clientle,just like Spain did 30 years ago,lot nicer places you can go to than pattaya.

Must be joking, are you talking about the little Britains in Spain? Looked LOSO to me but of course they probably think they are HISO. Like everywhere, more upmarket places in Spain but lots of Chavs 

Edited by scubascuba3

and the result was Benidorm. what a result !

1 hour ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

He was priced out of the market.  Smaller tin cup than most of the ballers. ????

I do quite well for myself, much better than to want to retire in a dump like pattaya. I worked hard all my life, have a great portfolio, great pension. No tin cups for me, thank god!  

Excuse me, 3 pensions, work pension and every canadian gets 2 government pensions.

great to be a Canuck!

Edited by Ron jeremy