RIP Pattaya

Silent Tiger

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Central Pattaya is the CBD for tourism, and tourists.  Maybe that's why there are so many hotels, restaurants and bars in Central Pattaya.  ????

Where do you think is the central area for tourists in Pattaya, the dark side?  ????

CBD - hilarious!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

It's you who's only knowledge is of the sleeze district of pattaya, not me!

Sleeze it what made Pattaya economically successful.  Sleeze sells.  Take the sleeze out of Pattaya, and do you think tourists will come here for the lousy beach?   ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

As I said, you are another one playing the poster and not the post.  I have said I am not bitter.  I have nothing to be bitter about. 

Now, the photo of the new building you posted, if it's going to be also used for daily rental, what will that do to hotels in the area? 

You have a pretty limited view. You should get out more and see places other than bars and restaurants in a limited area.

Maybe some of the apartments in this new condo block - like those at the Base, or Centric or Posh - are used for AirBnB, and maybe some of the cheaper and older hotels may disappear but this is inevitable as evolution happens - small shops also disappeared when they built Terminal 21, but the fact is that the value of this development is many, many times what was there before, and that includes money incoming from outside.

Maybe you are bitter because Pattaya is not like it was when you arrived, many people have rose-tinted glasses in hindsight, some other think it was better when it was a fishing village - and post threads in the hope that a global collapse will return it to that state (it won't).

Change happens - but some things still remain - it is the way of all things

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, crobe said:

You have a pretty limited view. You should get out more and see places other than bars and restaurants in a limited area.

Maybe some of the apartments in this new condo block - like those at the Base, or Centric or Posh - are used for AirBnB, and maybe some of the cheaper and older hotels may disappear but this is inevitable as evolution happens - small shops also disappeared when they built Terminal 21, but the fact is that the value of this development is many, many times what was there before, and that includes money incoming from outside.

Maybe you are bitter because Pattaya is not like it was when you arrived, many people have rose-tinted glasses in hindsight, some other think it was better when it was a fishing village - and post threads in the hope that a global collapse will return it to that state (it won't).

I would stack up my travel around Thailand, and South East Asia, against yours, any day.  I am guessing you are one of the guys that only know Pattaya, and Isssan.  Never been anywhere else, certainly not to any of Thailand's competitors.   

Now, when you say maybe some of the condo's will be used as AirBnb daily rentals.  Have you seen the crowds of people, mainly Chinese, waiting to check in, at all hours of the day and night, to The  Base?  Have you seen it, with your own eyes?  Not "maybe some" but hundreds, every day.  The Base has over 800 condo's.  The photo of the building in your post will no doubt be used for daily rental also.   

Yes, the new building is worth more than the old buildings that were there.  What is your point?  

I have only been living here full time for a couple of years, but have been here many times over many years.  I am not nostalgic about Pattaya.  I see Pattaya for what it is.  

Talking about change, have you been to Sihanoukville in Cambodia since the Chinese took the place over?  I'm guessing you haven't.  Google it.  Do you think a similar change here would be good?

Yes, change happens, but changes should happen in accordance with the law, and companies should not be allowed to build large condo blocks and then have them used like a hotel, whilst law abiding small hotels and guest houses in the area go broke.

Edited by Leaver
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, crobe said:

Absolutely.  Too many posters see Pattaya as just Soi 6 and Walking Street.  Many are not even in Pattaya and have not been to Pattaya in years.   There was a poster a week or so ago who had never, ever been to Pattaya in his life, had no intention of ever visiting, but still felt fully-qualified to let everyone know exactly how Pattaya is.  Like you say, some that are here definitely need to get out more and see what is going on in other areas besides WS and Soi 6. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I would stack up my travel around Thailand, and South East Asia, against yours, any day.  I am guessing you are one of the guys that only know Pattaya, and Isssan.  Never been anywhere else, certainly not to any of Thailand's competitors.   

Now, when you say maybe some of the condo's will be used as AirBnb daily rentals.  Have you seen the crowds of people, mainly Chinese, waiting to check in, at all hours of the day and night, to The  Base?  Have you seen it, with your own eyes?  Not "maybe some" but hundreds, every day.  The Base has over 800 condo's.  The photo of the building in your post will no doubt be used for daily rental also.   

Yes, the new building is worth more than the old buildings that were there.  What is your point?  

I have only been living here full time for a couple of years, but have been here many times over many years.  I am not nostalgic about Pattaya.  I see Pattaya for what it is.  

Talking about change, have you been to Sihanoukville in Cambodia since the Chinese took the place over?  I'm guessing you haven't.  Google it.  Do you think a similar change here would be good?

Yes, change happens, but changes should happen in accordance with the law, and companies should not be allowed to build large condo blocks and then have them used like a hotel, whilst law abiding small hotels and guest houses in the area go broke.

Leaver,

Don't talk about something you know nothing about

I have lived and worked in various countries in Europe, South America and Asia, and travel constantly around this region.

I have lived and worked in this area for the last 15 years, so I do know it quite well, not as well as some who have been here longer

I have welcomed visiting kings here, worked with the last 4 governments and yes, I have also visited the bars and clubs.

If all you know are the bars and soi 6, and sihanoukville as you say in your posts, then that just goes to prove what a limited outlook on life you have

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crobe said:

Leaver,

Don't talk about something you know nothing about

I have lived and worked in various countries in Europe, South America and Asia, and travel constantly around this region.

I have lived and worked in this area for the last 15 years, so I do know it quite well, not as well as some who have been here longer

I have welcomed visiting kings here, worked with the last 4 governments and yes, I have also visited the bars and clubs.

If all you know are the bars and soi 6, and sihanoukville as you say in your posts, then that just goes to prove what a limited outlook on life you have

I have also traveled, extensively, throughout the region, and particularly Thailand.   Have you even been to The Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan?  I have, despite my age.  I take it you have not seen what "change" the Chinese brought to Sihanoukville because you have never been there.  Correct? 

Working around the region is different to traveling around the region.  If you've worked with governments here, you haven't done a very good job, have you?  ???? 

I asked if you have seen the hundreds of daily renters outside The Base, and there's no response.

Yet, you post a photo of a new condo block being built, and then personally attack me.  Do you actually have any opinions, thoughts, predictions, hopes, concerns etc about the hospitality and / or tourism industry here, or all you have is personal attacks on myself? 

I'm thinking you have too much skin in the game. 

How about you play the post, not the poster. 

What do you think Pattaya will look like, 6 months from now? 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Absolutely.  Too many posters see Pattaya as just Soi 6 and Walking Street.  Many are not even in Pattaya and have not been to Pattaya in years.   There was a poster a week or so ago who had never, ever been to Pattaya in his life, had no intention of ever visiting, but still felt fully-qualified to let everyone know exactly how Pattaya is.  Like you say, some that are here definitely need to get out more and see what is going on in other areas besides WS and Soi 6. 

I comment quite frequently on this forum about what I see happening in Vietnam when I visit there, and the way Vietnam is progressing with their tourism industry.  Not only do I get out and about, but I also see what Thailand's competition is doing. 

How many in Pattaya have even been to Vietnam?

Of course there is more to Pattaya than Walking Street and Soi 6, but when I go to both, and see it dead, and then post on here my observations, only to be criticized by someone who hasn't been to either, for some years, then their posts hold little credibility with me.

As for getting out and about and seeing what's going on in Pattaya, do you see those food queues?  Care to post a positive spin on them?

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 7:16 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

I agree with everything you said mate. Foreigners have been taken advantage of way too much down there. 

the glory days are over. 

back to fishing and good old fashioned hard work now boys & girls. No more free meals.

You had yer chance and you blew it! 

Yes - the 'glory days' of fat old balloon-chasing men shtumping women way out of their league, after getting a skinful of 35 Baht happy hour beers are over.

Now, sadly - it's a lot of young upwardly mobile Asians populating establishments that aren't fronts for prostitution that are slowly taking over walking street.

There's way more money being spent in that town now than there was 15 or 20 years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crobe said:

The bubble of pattaya being some sought after Shangri las of a tourist resort is long gone,it's been in decline for the last 3 years 38 baht to the £1 it's no longer value for money,filthy beaches and air quality in the danger levels,might come back for a week if things improve,but only for one thing,

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Too many posters see Pattaya as just Soi 6 and Walking Street

Sure, many tourists.  I did also before I moved here.

Like it or not Pattaya is still rated as one of the top, if not the top male entertainment/sex destinations in the world.  So, what else?  Bring your family for a holiday?  Some do, but it is mostly men looking for fun and sex.

I personally find nothing wrong with it.

As a resident however, I never go to WS.  And Soi 6 occasionally as I have some solid female contacts there.

Other then that you are right there are other activities. Mainly golf for me. And just about anything I can do in my home country I can do here and more.

6 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Yes - the 'glory days' of fat old balloon-chasing men shtumping women way out of their league, after getting a skinful of 35 Baht happy hour beers are over.

They'll all need to move to Siem Reap where the beer is 20bht/glass 24/7.

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:

How many in Pattaya have even been to Vietnam?

Of course there is more to Pattaya than Walking Street and Soi 6, but when I go to both, and see it dead, and then post on here my observations, only to be criticized by someone who hasn't been to either, for some years, then their posts hold little credibility with me.

Been to both.

Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Saigon and maybe Vung Tau beat Pattaya in nearly every area.

Also Barretto and Angeles.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Now, sadly - it's a lot of young upwardly mobile Asians populating establishments that aren't fronts for prostitution that are slowly taking over walking street.

There's way more money being spent in that town now than there was 15 or 20 years ago.

Agree with what you say,but you only have to look at what happened in Spain 30 years ago,decided they didn,t want the lager lout but wanted "quality" tourists,they caught a right cold.too much choice of quality and value internationally for pattaya to get a look in,and let's face it the booking of a ho online trend has all but killed the bar scene,was there in Jan-feb this year,right load of mingers in the bars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2020 at 9:39 AM, BobBKK said:

Maybe but they will find a way for those girls to ply their trade. It will bounce back too much money to be made.

Cause it,'ll bounce back,and now's the ideal time to buy a bar or a share in a go-go bar,2 months down the line they,'ll be queuing to get in,you snooze,you lose.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Been to both.

Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Saigon and maybe Vung Tau beat Pattaya in nearly every area.

I've been to all of the places you mention, except for Barretto.  How many "experts" on Pattaya can say the same?  Yet, they say "you need to get out more."

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I've been to all of the places you mention, except for Barretto.  How many "experts" of Pattaya can say the same?   

I've had great times in all those places (including Pattaya).

I'm hoping COVID hasn't killed them all.

Edited by BritManToo

27 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I have also traveled, extensively, throughout the region, and particularly Thailand.   Have you even been to The Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan?  I have, despite my age.  I take it you have not seen what "change" the Chinese brought to Sihanoukville because you have never been there.  Correct? 

Working around the region is different to traveling around the region.  If you've worked with governments here, you haven't done a very good job, have you?  ???? 

I asked if you have seen the hundreds of daily renters outside The Base, and there's no response.

Yet, you post a photo of a new condo block being built, and then personally attack me.  Do you actually have any opinions, thoughts, predictions, hopes, concerns etc about the hospitality and / or tourism here, or all you have is personal attacks on myself? 

I'm thinking you have too much skin in the game. 

How about you play the post, not the poster. 

What do you think Pattaya will look like, 6 months from now? 

The few things that you have seen - Sihanoukville - are not the whole world as they seem to be to you, if you want to play the "have you ever been to" game, then have you ever been to Loei, to Trat, to Ubon or spent songkran in a small town 20 years ago where you were the only falang?

I also go to many more parts of Cambodia than just Sihanoukville that you know. 

Or have you ever been to French Guyana or Tuvalu - both places I happened to be in last year - No - I thought not - so don't try to trade experience with me as you obviously don't have any.

The fact that you only talk about WS, Soi 6 and Sihanoukville - your words not mine - shows the limited and blinkered outlook you have.

If you want to know what Pattaya will look like in 6 months time then I will tell you - much the same, there will still be bars and restaurants catering to Thais, expats and some some tourists, though maybe not as many as before.

There will be Chinese tour parties back, some more Indians and Russians, but on the whole the number of westerners will continue to fall.

And quite a few small restaurants, shops, bars and markets will disappear, but unlike in the US with the closed down malls or the UK with the boarded up high streets, they will probably be redeveloped fairly quickly into new hotels , shops or yes, god forbid, condos.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Siem Reap, Phnom Penh // beat Pattaya in nearly every area.

You must be joking??

I stayed in these places a few weeks, for holidays, but would certainly not leave there !

Such a huge difference between the modern Pattaya and the third word Siam Reap!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crobe said:

f you want to play the "have you ever been to" game, then have you ever been to Loei, to Trat, to Ubon or spent songkran in a small town 20 years ago where you were the only falang?

Those places aren't really known for beer and hookers ................. why would anyone want to go there?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Those places aren't really known for beer and hookers ................. why would anyone want to go there?

Because there is more to Thailand, and in fact Pattaya, than just beer and hookers which is the point of the OP

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, crobe said:

The few things that you have seen - Sihanoukville - are not the whole world as they seem to be to you, if you want to play the "have you ever been to" game, then have you ever been to Loei, to Trat, to Ubon or spent songkran in a small town 20 years ago where you were the only falang?

I also go to many more parts of Cambodia than just Sihanoukville that you know. 

Or have you ever been to French Guyana or Tuvalu - both places I happened to be in last year - No - I thought not - so don't try to trade experience with me as you obviously don't have any.

The fact that you only talk about WS, Soi 6 and Sihanoukville - your words not mine - shows the limited and blinkered outlook you have.

If you want to know what Pattaya will look like in 6 months time then I will tell you - much the same, there will still be bars and restaurants catering to Thais, expats and some some tourists, though maybe not as many as before.

There will be Chinese tour parties back, some more Indians and Russians, but on the whole the number of westerners will continue to fall.

And quite a few small restaurants, shops, bars and markets will disappear, but unlike in the US with the closed down malls or the UK with the boarded up high streets, they will probably be redeveloped fairly quickly into new hotels , shops or yes, god forbid, condos.

I have been to Issan, many times.  Even into the small villages.  I have been the first foreigner ever seen by children, on many occasions.  I doubt your travel around Thailand, and the region, is as extensive as mine.

So, you have now finally said something about Pattaya, and not about me, or yourself. 

You say, "not as many as before."  Care to give a percentage of establishments remaining open, to those remaining closed?

You say western tourist numbers will be down.  Care to say what that will do to establishments catering for westerners here?

You say, "quite a few small restaurants, shops, bars and markets will disappear."  Once again, how many is "quite a few?" 

You say, "they will probably be redeveloped fairly quickly into new hotels , shops or yes, god forbid, condos."  For who?  Chinese, Indians and Russians?  More zero baht tourists. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Been to both.

I have never been to any of those (well Angeles for 3 days).  Have spent about 10 years in Pattaya.  So honest question not argument.  

IMO the reason Pattaya exploded wasn't just the sex trade.  Or cheap booze.  Certainly they were a MAJOR factor in it.  But the other areas were the beach (yeah Pattaya beach sucks but it's still the ocean and clean ones available locally and it is WARM year round), the fact one could party and get hookers SAFELY (no arrests or pimps banging down doors), the mixture in the local expat community and the numerous surrounding golf courses.

IMO the greatest killer of Pattaya is the currency issue.  If the value of foreign currency is high, and single (or not) men with money and the urge to enjoy a nightlife of debauchery and golf in the daytime Pattaya will do fine.  So is there another place that provides all of these features?  I'm open to new travels.

On Siem Reap I am especially curious.  I have friends who went to play golf.  Problem is I think there is only one course and it is pricy.  Night life?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I have been to Issan, many times.  Even into the small villages.  I have been the first foreigner ever seen by children, on many occasions.  I doubt your travel around Thailand, and the region, is as extensive as mine.

So, you have now finally said something about Pattaya, and not about me, or yourself. 

You say, "not as many as before."  Care to give a percentage of establishments remaining open, to those remaining closed?

You say western tourist numbers will be down.  Care to say what that will do to establishments catering for westerners here?

You say, "quite a few small restaurants, shops, bars and markets will disappear."  Once again, how many is "quite a few?" 

You say, "they will probably be redeveloped fairly quickly into new hotels , shops or yes, god forbid, condos."  For who?  Chinese, Indians and Russians?  More zero baht tourists. 

Getting desperate now aren't we.

You have my answer which is objective about the future of Pattaya, not tainted with bitterness like yours

4 minutes ago, jimmybcool said:

On Siem Reap I am especially curious.  I have friends who went to play golf.  Problem is I think there is only one course and it is pricy.  Night life?  

Siem Reap night life is excessive but different.

2-3 streets of bars and restaurants, if you sit at a table on your own, a young lady will be sitting with you in seconds.

And the lady drinks are 50c or 75c, same as your drinks.

(OK $1 to $1.50 if you're drinking cocktails)

I have no idea about golf, plenty of places to cycle and swim though.

Edited by BritManToo