Tablets / Ipads...I don't get them?

Kenny202

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

I have a love/hate relationship with my 12.9 inch ipad Pro. Love it for reading books, as my close vision’s not what it used to be, and perfect for browsing the internet. Hate that its toy operating system makes simple file transfers from my PC very complicated.

Exactly, that is why I buy only Samsung and Android.

Apple is good, Samsung is now better.

• Haha 1

ROFLMAO

There really is no substitute for intelligence...

My TV is too heavy to hold, so I use a stand.

Same for my ipad.

Even my Kindle, I have a stand to hold it at a good angle for reading if I'm lying down.

34 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

ROFLMAO

There really is no substitute for intelligence...

My TV is too heavy to hold, so I use a stand.

Same for my ipad.

Even my Kindle, I have a stand to hold it at a good angle for reading if I'm lying down.

No one wants or has advocated holding your TV, silly.  If your ipad is the same you may want to check exactly what you bought.  You probably shouldn't have brought comments on intelligence into the thread.

• Haha 2

I’ve used a tablet (same brand) for 7 + years... traveling daily

with laptop and all in bag began to make my shoulder ache....

last fou four year exclusively work for me ..... spreadsheet 

usually have to send excel as many don’t use numbers..

I have used an iPad for 10+ years, It is not suitable for word processing or other PC functions. It is ideal for all other uses. I have started to read books on it. You can stop the screen from rotating using a screen lock.

All I can say is that I love my Lenovo tablet. Good value for money too. I find phones screens and keypads too small. It's now getting on for 4 years old and so has slightly less functionality than the latest tabs and phones and yes the screen has cracked and is reinforced with sellotape. Previously my various smartphones all went that way too. A smart phone is better on the go for e-ticket readers but the Lenovo is ok. The google keyboard function is ok and I have a Bluetooth keyboard too but creating documents and spreadsheets is still much easier on a laptop which I also have ....but I hate lugging it around.

I use my tablet everyday all day but I am retired so not for serious work. Mostly for book reading with a Kindle app, news, newspapers and journals that all have an Android app these days, internet surfing, email, phonecalls and video calls using WhatsApp messenger, Facebook. Great for Spotify music especially with some Bluetooth headphones, Netflix and YouTube all of which I can put on my TVs and sound system with Chromecast. Good also for maps, GPS and driving directions although a little difficult to fix it somewhere visible but not in the way due to screen size. But now I mostly just listen to the voice directions rather than watch the screen. Storage is no longer a problem with cloud storage. A phone is easier for taking photos but my tab is great for videos.

Bought a folding cover/stand at the same time which has been fine but now had its day so I need a new one.

There are compromises of one sort or another whether it's a phone, a tablet, a laptop or a desktop.. for what I need across the spectrum the tablet wins overall.

• Like 1

I go to bed with not just one, but two tablets, one ipad and one nexus (10.) When I wake up I also need a third one, a Samsung TabS. Those to be used throughout the day besides my two Dell 17 in laptops, each connected to an external 24inch monitor. Not counting a couple of smaller sized ones (nexus 7 and ipad mini) reserved for going out. To make sure I'm not caught in a lurch if one of them goes kaput, I have a couple of backups for each kind stacked in my wardrobe closet, I check them out occasionally to make sure they're up to snuff. I notice since covid, them prices have gone up quite a bit, wonder why. Yes, a sturdy case (not the fashionably dressed kind) is a  must, as they tend to do sommersault under my care. I'm not an Apple fan but I love ipads to death, especially the pre-Air ones.

I have a 10" Lenovo with 2k screen.

I only uses it out on the patio and on short holidays, and it's perfect for that.

Kindle reader for books, it's so light and last min 2 weeks on a charge.

Have desktop and laptop as well, they all have their use and I don't see any reason stop using/buying any of them.

My son uses my old Ipad mini2 and he loves it, it's been fantastic considered the abuse it survived. 

My wife has a 10.5" iPad Pro with leather case.  The screen cover folds behind to make a stand and works well and never had any complaints.

I'll buy my wife a replacement iPad before long, as an update, but will first require the surgical removal of the current iPad from her grasp.  

• Like 2

I have a desk top computer with windows 10,works for all my needs,and here in Thailand i can do my banking ,but i worry that if it breaks down i wont be able to as my bank accounts need windows 10, can anyone recomend a cheap  laptop or whatever ,to buy in this eventuality ?

6 hours ago, kokesaat said:

I've been a tablet fan for a few years, first with a Samsung Galaxy 10" that cost nearly $500, now with a Huawei 10" for less than 6000 baht.  I'm not a gamer so can't measure that ability, but the cheaper and newer Huawei does everything the Galaxy could do.  My daughter bought me a Jelly Comb bluetooth keyboard for the tablet, and now I'm in 'laptop' heaven, without the cost of a laptop.  The keyboard has an opening at the top where you can easily place your tablet or smartphone.....or both, and switch between the two with a simple press of the F1 or F2 keys.  

When I'm composing emails on my tablet, I use the F1 key....and if I want to compose a long LINE message on my smartphone, I simply press the F2 key and do that.  

I use the cloud for all my storage and apps for all my necessary software.  If my tablet died today, I'd simply buy a new one, reconnect to my cloud/app accounts and be back in business.  Computer life has never been easier.....or cheaper.

The Jelly Comb keyboard cost $25 and is a fully functional keyboard.

Screenshot_20200425-141156_Gallery.jpg

Wow, mine is Huawei 10" too, probably the same model. I have always been an Apple laptop, and Samsung phone man but these are pretty damn good for the money. Apparently they lost a huge amount of business in the US after being black banned and prices (bang for buck) have came way down. Very well made unit.

58 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I have a desk top computer with windows 10,works for all my needs,and here in Thailand i can do my banking ,but i worry that if it breaks down i wont be able to as my bank accounts need windows 10, can anyone recomend a cheap  laptop or whatever ,to buy in this eventuality ?

Most of the power buy, Big C, Banana stores usually have clearance laptops for under 10,000 baht. Saw a Lenovo a while back for 6000 baht in Big C. Nice looking little slimline unit too. I'm guessing not a super fast hi tech notebook but guessing would fill most peoples needs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been a tablet fan for a few years, first with a Samsung Galaxy 10" that cost nearly $500, now with a Huawei 10" for less than 6000 baht.  I'm not a gamer so can't measure that ability, but the cheaper and newer Huawei does everything the Galaxy could do.  My daughter bought me a Jelly Comb bluetooth keyboard for the tablet, and now I'm in 'laptop' heaven, without the cost of a laptop.  The keyboard has an opening at the top where you can easily place your tablet or smartphone.....or both, and switch between the two with a simple press of the F1 or F2 keys.  

When I'm composing emails on my tablet, I use the F1 key....and if I want to compose a long LINE message on my smartphone, I simply press the F2 key and do that.  

I use the cloud for all my storage and apps for all my necessary software.  If my tablet died today, I'd simply buy a new one, reconnect to my cloud/app accounts and be back in business.  Computer life has never been easier.....or cheaper.

This will be a stupid question for many and reason I asked I have shied away from any Cloud storage since my mate got caught by his wife, sending messages to his girlfriend lol. He gave her one of his old devices to use and forgot it was still linked to his phone.

I understand the concept of it, and I use Google drive for some storage now, but I don't synch everything up, I prefer to choose what I store / back up.

I see Huawei and Samsung offer cloud storage too. What are we referring to when we talk about Cloud? Same sort of thing? Is it a google thing or generic term?

Out of interest do you connect a mouse to it or do you have to use the touch screen when selecting stuff? I guess you could connect a USB mouse through a dongle micro USB adapter or a bluetooth mouse. Can you have more than one bluetooth device connected at a times?

Having said all of this just brings me back to my original thoughts. Adding keyboards etc is just trying to make your Tablet the same as a notebook. And when you can buy a notebook for about the same price as a tablet with everything built in (stand, tilt able screen, keyboard, touchpad / mouse already, at around the same price, for me notebook a better option.   

• Like 2

I have a four year old Macbook Air which has had a hard life accompanying me around Asia. I bought a basic iPad recently to see if it would be a suitable and lightweight replacement for the laptop. For me, the one advantage of the iPad is the touch screen and the ability to use a pen, but apart from that it offers very little. Especially if you use Apple products, adding a proper keyboard, cover and pen can bring the price up to near that of a laptop and you're still left with a glorified phone. Buy an iPad Pro and the price is way more. I sent my iPad back within the 30 day refund limit, I'll wait until this machine is on its absolute last legs and then I'll  buy a new Macbook Air. 

On 4/25/2020 at 9:17 AM, Crossy said:

Do you have a stand for it, or a case with a built-in stand? they do make a lot of difference.

I tend to use mine in bed to watch the cricket whilst Madam is watching TV, tablet propped up on the bed (case with stand). Me, cans on, laid on my side. I'm comfortable like that but it's not for everyone.

What cricket?

23 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Out of interest do you connect a mouse to it or do you have to use the touch screen when selecting stuff? I guess you could connect a USB mouse through a dongle micro USB adapter or a bluetooth mouse. Can you have more than one bluetooth device connected at a times?

Having said all of this just brings me back to my original thoughts. Adding keyboards etc is just trying to make your Tablet the same as a notebook. And when you can buy a notebook for about the same price as a tablet with everything built in (stand, tilt able screen, keyboard, touchpad / mouse already, at around the same price, for me notebook a better option.   

Or get a notebook with a removeable screen/tablet like a Lenovo Yoga.

Trade off big screen big keyboard and can book things online and you can see the full page unlike phones where its a struggle, Netflix etc

Trade off is size and weight

Why not get both, have bought a tablet 10 core/ 8g/128g and 8000 mah battery for less than 2k lazada, love it

Edited by madmen

I had the legendary Asus Infinity Pad when it first came out, which came with a bundled keyboard.

I actually never ever used the keyboard, because no matter how well it's built, a proper keyboard will always be better for speed typing. 

So I prefer to work and type emails on a large laptop. The tablet however is the one I use the most, since I read epubs with the Moon Reader Pro app and also use the tablet as a media centre with netflix, bbciplayer and joyn for German tv.

I strongly big up the Samsung Tab S4, it's Amoled display is awesome, very reliable tablet, even if it is lower spec than the Asus Infinity Pad as all tablets are these days.

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2179113?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.335a4c4dygDrlw

I bought the UBook pro in March ,and received it in 10 days in full corona contagion , it is a Microsoft Surface 7 clone 8GB 256 ssd.

2 versions different processor in Ubook Pro, also lower specs and prices in Ubook (not pro..)

They have cheaper other ones to also ,  check website 

Win 10 or Android versions for "non UBook Pro's) on website 

Review on  Youtube

Chuwi UBook Pro specifications.bmp

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

This will be a stupid question for many and reason I asked I have shied away from any Cloud storage since my mate got caught by his wife, sending messages to his girlfriend lol. He gave her one of his old devices to use and forgot it was still linked to his phone.

I understand the concept of it, and I use Google drive for some storage now, but I don't synch everything up, I prefer to choose what I store / back up.

I see Huawei and Samsung offer cloud storage too. What are we referring to when we talk about Cloud? Same sort of thing? Is it a google thing or generic term?

It basically means storing it on someone else's drive at a remote location.  That drive could belong to Google, Samsung, Huawei or one of many others.  It's all known as the cloud to me and you.  Only put stuff there you're happy to be opened to the public as it's no longer under your control.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Just to be clear, I'm still a desktop fan.  But after having the Huawei with the Jelly Comb keyboard, I'm finding more and more that I can do virtually everything on this setup that I can do on my desktop, only with the added mobility of the tablet or the tablet and the keyboard.  The tablet is a mere 1.04 pounds and the keyboard 1.8 pounds.  I've seen many a keyboard on a laptop that isn't as easy to use as the Jelly Comb.......I've a 60 wpm typer and can do close to that on my JC.

I realize there are many choices and many different needs......but if you're just doing reading, surfing, netflix, or a combination of tablet/smartphone at the same time, I haven't seen anything that comes close for the price.

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2020 at 8:46 PM, treetops said:

No one wants or has advocated holding your TV, silly. If your ipad is the same you may want to check exactly what you bought. You probably shouldn't have brought comments on intelligence into the thread.

Sorry, someone was complaining they had serious issues holding the tablet for a long period - I guess you missed the point that I can watch TV all day without getting tired, and the same theory applies to an ipad, or even a smaller device like a Kindle, because you can just prop it up.

It's a bit like complaining your legs are tired when you're standing next to a sofa... and you're right, one of the biggest issues with having intelligence is that the idiots around you don't get the inferences and assume that you're talking rubbish so I shouldn't bring that up.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:39 AM, jadee said:

Hi, the main appeal of tablets is entertainment/gaming/social media/ and easy video conferencing. Most tablets - especially Huawei's running Android - aren't designed for serious work. 

I don't own a tablet and prefer using a slim laptop running Windows for all the reasons you said (better for work and productivity, easier to type, almost as light as a tablet).

A middle-ground solution that's become quite popular are hybrid tablet/laptops with detachable keyboards so they can be both. 

But as you're was a gift and you just want to get the most out of it, here's my two cents: 

1) if you want to watch it in bed but don't want to hold it, buy a 'bed bracket stand' - under 200 baht from Lazada. 
2) If it's difficult to type on, buy a case with built-in bluetooth keyboard, - a generic one costs around 700 baht from Lazada, 

item 2: do these bluetooth keyboards not just add to the confusion? what I am inmaagining is that, now you aresitt7ng upright in yro bed with two separate pieces of equipment. The answer has been on the market for a while; two-in-one tablets.

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 7:24 PM, torturedsole said:

My wife has a 10.5" iPad Pro with leather case.  The screen cover folds behind to make a stand and works well and never had any complaints.

I'll buy my wife a replacement iPad before long, as an update, but will first require the surgical removal of the current iPad from her grasp.  

I finally got around to purchasing my wife a new iPad which is a 12.9" iPad Pro 2020 with USB-C port.  

Personally, I'm not a big tablet fan but it's a nice bit of kit, nonetheless.