Thai woman conned out of thousands by "American" - he promised marriage and diamonds, she lost everything

webfact

Fantastic story. Sadly all too true - I remember a guy turning up when I was a student in Fleetwood many moons ago. He took out a wad with about 1500 quid and bought a couple of rounds...

A month later he left town with his winnings - including a BMW, and a boat that he persuaded people to lend him along with quite a few people that lent him 300 quid to get his car out of the garage so he could go and collect next month's salary (paid cash, as usual).

Con artists get by being believable - hard to imagine how it can be done via internet, but anyone who can fall in love online without actually spending time with someone is pretty much fair game.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One day I like to get some lessons from one of those scammer how to make a woman fall in love with me and spend lots of money in that process. These guys must have real talent.

For me something "in between" would be more than enough: "how to make a woman fall in love with me without me spending lots of money". I don't need to scam money out of girls. But would be happy to save some...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, balo said:

The average IQ is a bit lower here in Thailand , maybe that's why we hear so many stories like this. Then again it also happens in the West.  Never mind, 

In this day and age, I could say the same thing about the US, and it would apply! 30 years of gorging on reality TV, carries with it a high price indeed. 

Scamming is universal. 

4 hours ago, varun said:

For every opportunistic Thai ripping off a foreigner,

there will be an equally opportunistic 419 scammer ripping off a greedy Thai - what goes around, comes around.

I like to call this KARMA............

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

In this day and age, I could say the same thing about the US, and it would apply! 30 years of gorging on reality TV, carries with it a high price indeed. 

Scamming is universal. 

the current pres. and his 

gang of misfits and followers are a good indication of low IQ

• Haha 1

They must be catching the thai lady soon as she has opened the bankaccount to wich the money was send and the nigerian will be nowhere to be found . Leaving his coulperate as a single mom delivering food . Sorry couldn't stop myself writing the last . 

2 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Strike 1 for America against 12,669,998 to Thailand. ????????????????????????????????

Lol, more likely a Nigerian or one of those nations that are always scamming Thai's, American's don't need to stoop so low.

So might that be 100,001 to Nigeria or one of those countries vs 12,669,998 to Thailand ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And how can it be known he was actually an American, No actual phone calls, never hearing the voice, fake photos and such probably, Maybe it was the supposed other female who was working in conjunction with the Nigerians in their romance scams.  It is not newsworthy as other than the woman loosing money, as the rest of the story is unknown.... 

Americans are not hired as crew on cargo vessels because they are too expensive. Nowadays they are all Filipinos, Burmese, Sri Lankan and some East European officers.

Most of the romance scammers arrested here turn out to be from African countries with Thai girlfriends. Obviously they don’t use their own photographs. It’s a scam derived from the Nigerian letter.

Edited by Dogmatix

I was not going to comment on this as the usual greed comes in to

What am I getting out of this

But I just did but it brought a smile to my face thinking there is always someone getting conned

No doubt others will be coming in the future it never ends 

• Like 1

I met and got chatting to a Thai lady on instant messaging a while back and after a while she mentioned she'd recently been conned by a similar scam and lost a lot of money. I was the first person she had told since she was too embarrassed to tell anyone she knew what had happened. I had no reason to disbelieve her.
So I think there are a lot more of these scams that never get reported due to victim embarrassment.

Some scammer tried to contact my girlfriend on Facebook, same kind of story. But this guy was apparently from the US Army and working in Afghanistan. When my girlfriend told me about this, I checked his Facebook. No history whatsoever. No connections. Nothing. Told my girlfriend he would say flattering things to her and at some point ask for money. So my girlfriend was prepared. Also I asked her to send me the photos of his Facebook and LINE accounts, but she was slow with that.

At some point she shows me a message with a bag full of US dollar bills. I told my girlfriend that he would ask her at some point to send some money in order to receive more money. She said she wasn't stupid and wouldn't give the address. But just to be sure to convince my girlfriend I also asked her to send me the photos of his accounts.

Using Google reverse image search it became clear that:

- 1 photo was from a popular German singer … quite typical blond and such.

- The other photo was indeed from a US army general, but he clearly had some asian heritage, black hair and such.

I believe at that point, my girlfriend finally stopped chatting with this guy.

We're not rich, but these people do target woman that they believe have at least some money. I guess my girlfriend posted photos of our house and car and gifts (like gold necklace and such) on Facebook, which must have peaked the scammer's interest. 

I cannot believe that most of the posters discuss this story as if it were something possible and true.

Mr tinted glasses listen, these scams are usually Thai - foreign cooperations. Thai women with foreigners but often Thai women alone.

Nothing new here. This has been going on for ages.

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And how can it be known he was actually an American, No actual phone calls, never hearing the voice, fake photos and such probably, Maybe it was the supposed other female who was working in conjunction with the Nigerians in their romance scams.  It is not newsworthy as other than the woman loosing money, as the rest of the story is unknown.... 

I've actually seen a video of one such conman. To him, they had a woman romancing him and recording a video call with him, or maybe they hacked into a call and recorded him, I don't know, but basically they had video+audio recordings of the man, and they cut it up to pieces and played what was appropriate for whatever the woman said. Often "his answers" made no sense. Or there were visible cuts (when person moved half a meter in 0.000001 second) which was attributed to "bad signal". As Thai (and many other ladies) aren't excellent in English, they believed the nonsense and parted with money to a scammer.

What is really disappointing, though, is that this scam has been going on for many years, has been in the media over and over, yet, people still fall for it.

Kind of like my "Your Apple ID has been locked" email every other day... I bet there are people who click on the link despite all the warnings...

A fool and their money are soon parted.  This phrase is older tjan I am, and I am a senior.

One would think that someone in their 30s would at least have some friends who could see that this was a scam. Too bad she did not check with a friend or 2 before

losing her money.

Geezer

7 hours ago, wolf81 said:

Some scammer tried to contact my girlfriend on Facebook, same kind of story. But this guy was apparently from the US Army and working in Afghanistan. When my girlfriend told me about this, I checked his Facebook. No history whatsoever. No connections. Nothing. Told my girlfriend he would say flattering things to her and at some point ask for money. So my girlfriend was prepared. Also I asked her to send me the photos of his Facebook and LINE accounts, but she was slow with that.

At some point she shows me a message with a bag full of US dollar bills. I told my girlfriend that he would ask her at some point to send some money in order to receive more money. She said she wasn't stupid and wouldn't give the address. But just to be sure to convince my girlfriend I also asked her to send me the photos of his accounts.

Using Google reverse image search it became clear that:

- 1 photo was from a popular German singer … quite typical blond and such.

- The other photo was indeed from a US army general, but he clearly had some asian heritage, black hair and such.

I believe at that point, my girlfriend finally stopped chatting with this guy.

We're not rich, but these people do target woman that they believe have at least some money. I guess my girlfriend posted photos of our house and car and gifts (like gold necklace and such) on Facebook, which must have peaked the scammer's interest. 

Is you're girlfriend looking for somebody else, or am i getting the wrong impression from you're post.

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Claims to be American because who the heck would marry an African?

16 hours ago, Enzian said:

I've reviewed a number of dating sites since my recent breakup, and they all say never get money involved especially if you have never met someone in person.

Do you need a dating sight to tell you that?