AIS extends free call time offer to foreigners

AIS extends free call time offer to foreigners

By THE NATION

800_65a994a876eef43.jpg

Advanced Info Service (AIS) has extended its offer of 100 minutes of free calls to cover foreigners as well as Thai customers.

Pratthana Leelapanang, AIS's chief consumer business officer, said the Covid-19 outbreak and response measures were affecting the lifestyle of both Thais and foreigners in Thailand, demanding adjustments including learning or working from home, online shopping, and communication to help others.

“All of this needs a quality communication system to ensure efficiency in the activities," he said.

Foreign AIS customers can apply for the 100 free minutes by sending their passport number by SMS to 170 between May 1 and 15. The service is available to both post-paid and pre-paid subscribers.

A confirmation message will be sent and they will be able to use the free call minutes immediately for 45 days.

The free call privilege, for which Thai mobile phone users can apply from all five telecom operators from today until May 15, is the result of a collaboration between the operators and the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission, to ease people’s burden amid the Covid-19 outbreak.

Subscribers will be granted the 100 free minutes for phone calls to any local landline or local cell number over and above the free minutes under their existing packages.

Thai subscribers can apply for the free 100 minutes of calls from May 1 to 15 by dialling *170*, followed by their identity card number, then pressing #. The free minutes kick in as soon as an SMS is received for confirmation and are valid for 45 days.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387128

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-01

• Like 1

Out of words.

I was about to write "Thank you AIS" until I experienced that neither passport# or our personal id# will work.

13 digits required.

Edit: I guess thai id card required then, ,only for the very few with PR (?)

20200501_185421.jpg

Edited by OnTheGround
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

It works. You did not read properly. You need to SMS your passport number to 170. If it is registered with AIS you will get 3 SMS within 1...2 mins and 100mins voice for 45 days.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MadMac said:

It works. You did not read properly. You need to SMS your passport number to 170. If it is registered with AIS you will get 3 SMS within 1...2 mins and 100mins voice for 45 days.

*170*passport number followed by #

Didn't work twice.

Quote;

170*, followed by their identity card number, then pressing #

Attempted again, same error message!

• Confused 2

27 minutes ago, OnTheGround said:

Didn't work twice.

Quote;

just send an SMS to   170

put your passport number in the message ....  and send.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Agree. As the text says, SMS for farang not *170.....

But the reply SMS doesn’t come back straight away - I was told it takes 3 hours...

2 minutes ago, regedit said:

Agree. As the text says, SMS for farang not *170.....

But the reply SMS doesn’t come back straight away - I was told it takes 3 hours...

It only works if your passport is registered with AIS. Took less than a minute.

Ditto, didn't work. It says:

Cannot be eligible The ID number you entered does not match the SIM registered. Please make a new transaction. Or update SIM registration information online By dialing * 161 * 2 * Citizen ID # Call out> Wait for SMS, follow the steps> Click to receive the next day. For Non-Thai residents, text Passport No.> send to SMS No. 170 / call info More info , dial * 915645.

I would try again as instructed re *161*2 ...

Edited by debbiedebbie
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, debbiedebbie said:

Ditto, didn't work. It says:

Cannot be eligible The ID number you entered does not match the SIM registered. Please make a new transaction. Or update SIM registration information online By dialing * 161 * 2 * Citizen ID # Call out> Wait for SMS, follow the steps> Click to receive the next day. For Non-Thai residents, text Passport No.> send to SMS No. 170 / call info More info , dial * 915645.

I would try again as instructed re 162*2 ...

If your Thai ID or your passport is not registered with AIS and that particular number, it will not work.

Edited by MadMac
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MadMac said:

If your Thai ID or your passport is not registered with AIS and that particular number, it will not work.

Oh yeah, it probably has my old passport ref. Anyways, I would just visit the center since malls are open now. Would update here if ever. Thanks, MadMac honey ... ????????

Just now, debbiedebbie said:

Oh yeah, it probably has my old passport ref. Anyways, I would just visit the center since malls are open now. Would update here if ever. Thanks, MadMac honey ... ????????

Works with old passport number if you used that for registration. If you can remember it of course...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OnTheGround said:

Didn't work twice.

Quote;

You are not paying attention. Three times you have been told ????

SMS, not USSD.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You are not paying attention. Three times you have been told ????

SMS, not USSD.

Thanks for the nice words. *170* IS USSD CODE.

After # in the end, press Send = USSD code running.

Ais probably didnt register passport number, even passport was handed over to Ais staff.

20200501_210036.jpg

20200501_210010.jpg

10 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Works with old passport number if you used that for registration. If you can remember it of course...

Thanks, MadMac honey! Received 2 SMS as follows:

คุณได้รับสิทธิ์โทรฟรี 100นาที ทุกเครือข่าย นาน 45วัน จากAIS-รัฐบาล-กสทช. กรุณารอรับ SMS ยืนยันเพื่อเริ่มใช้งาน You are eligible for 100min free call to all networks for 45days from AIS-Govt-NBTC.Please wait for confirmation SMS to start the package.

Then:

You can start calling 100 minutes free of all networks (in the country). Can use 45 days and receive 45 days of additional usage from the government of the NBTC to look after you ... (translated)

Love you, MadMac honey. ????????????

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My US passport is a 9-digit number, so I have no idea why I'm getting an SMS response back talking about a 13-digit ID card number.

Probably just their default error message. Probably your passport number is not registered with your phone number.

I just put 170 as destination in my Samsung galaxy message app and then my passport (indeed my old one ) and got the confirmation ,when I tried the USSD code gave me failure , maybe different by type phone , by now I think they (AIS ) are recovering already by sms fee  some people's 45 minutes by just they try to get it …..55555

(they are Thai you know …. 5555)

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, taotoo said:

"Foreign AIS customers can apply for the 100 free minutes by sending their passport number by SMS to 170"

..is not the same as:

"Thai subscribers can apply for the free 100 minutes of calls from May 1 to 15 by dialling *170*, followed by their identity card number, then pressing #."

Yeah, correct. A moment of missed comprehension, maybe. For sure, they would re-read.

100 minutes free voice calls - the GF will use my allocation in one go telling me I drink too much and don't send her enough money. Thank Buddha for the GF noi, lol.