Bangkok: Famous 5 star luxury hotel shuts and lays off staff

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

They would receive no money

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Furthermore if they didn't show up when the crisis has eased that would count as dereliction of duty.

Wow, that sounds really unfair. What about the dereliction of duty to pay them if they expect something from them?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Quantity over quality is never a good thing, unless you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It just lowers the quality of the experience for all. This is an emergency situation. It needs to be dealt with, and it needs a high degree of intelligence and competence. Not something Prayuth or Pipat possess. Someone else needs to handle this, and it needs to be handled yesterday!

The tourism industry is teetering on the edge of a tragic drop, and has already been devastated by this highly destructive administration. This could crush millions of families dependent on tourism. 

You know what they say about putting all of your eggs in one basket? I have been warning of the dangers of becoming too dependent on China for years. Now, after you have made your bed, you get to sleep in it. You have alienated all tourists but Indians and Chinese. Westerners are not coming here anymore for a dozen very good reasons. You insulted us. You demeaned us. You accused us of being evil, and you accused us of being criminals. You mounted campaigns touting us as bad for the nation. You demonstrated deplorable amounts of racism and xenophobia, and fear of the outside world. Some of your officials even went as far as saying we prefer to have tourists that look more like us! And now you want us to come back? Really? How soon you forget. Sorry, but they have not forgotten what was done and said. What they have forgotten is the Thailand, as a tourist destination. There are too many alternatives now, and they are not only trying harder, they actually have competent people in charge! Surprise!

Sorry to say, but the high spending tourists are lost for good. They WILL NOT come back to Thailand, for a dozen different reasons. And places like Pattaya, Phuket and Samui will continue to go downhill. So, the goons at the TAT continue to pursue ever higher numbers, regardless of the noxious air, unbelievable congestion on the roads, and woeful service at the airports, that this policy only exacerbates. But, will they return? Not like before. Not even close.

People have avery short memories they will be back, when they get some money

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retarded said:

Decades old joke said if all Chinese poop on island of Japan, it would cover the entire island with that fertilizer. COVID proves it isn't a joke. 

Actually, that it wasn't funny in the slightest proves it isn't a joke.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pj123 said:

The report quotes the hotel as stating that staff "would receive no money". But under Thai employment law 

"Employees with more than 120 days, but less than one year employment are entitled to severance pay equal to one month's salary. If employed more than one year, but less than three years, employees are entitled to severance pay equal to three months' salary." (https://www.thaistartup.com/references/severance-pay-rules.php)

Or is the hotel using some loophole to avoid severance pay by saying their jobs will be available again in three months?

Of course the latter!! Thai laws are not for the protection of workers rights, but to protect the owners wallets!! etc. etc.????????????????????????????????

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, pj123 said:

The report quotes the hotel as stating that staff "would receive no money". But under Thai employment law 

"Employees with more than 120 days, but less than one year employment are entitled to severance pay equal to one month's salary. If employed more than one year, but less than three years, employees are entitled to severance pay equal to three months' salary." (https://www.thaistartup.com/references/severance-pay-rules.php)

Or is the hotel using some loophole to avoid severance pay by saying their jobs will be available again in three months?

Severance is paid if an employee is terminated  No one was terminated just layed off

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mistymilesdj said:

Make the rooms available to COVID-19 patients 

what covid patients? Thailand currently has 3,000 confirmed cases out of 65 million people. thats 46 per million people. The number of deaths is in the mid 50's which is less than 1 in a million people.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Quantity over quality is never a good thing, unless you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It just lowers the quality of the experience for all. This is an emergency situation. It needs to be dealt with, and it needs a high degree of intelligence and competence. Not something Prayuth or Pipat possess. Someone else needs to handle this, and it needs to be handled yesterday!

The tourism industry is teetering on the edge of a tragic drop, and has already been devastated by this highly destructive administration. This could crush millions of families dependent on tourism. 

You know what they say about putting all of your eggs in one basket? I have been warning of the dangers of becoming too dependent on China for years. Now, after you have made your bed, you get to sleep in it. You have alienated all tourists but Indians and Chinese. Westerners are not coming here anymore for a dozen very good reasons. You insulted us. You demeaned us. You accused us of being evil, and you accused us of being criminals. You mounted campaigns touting us as bad for the nation. You demonstrated deplorable amounts of racism and xenophobia, and fear of the outside world. Some of your officials even went as far as saying we prefer to have tourists that look more like us! And now you want us to come back? Really? How soon you forget. Sorry, but they have not forgotten what was done and said. What they have forgotten is the Thailand, as a tourist destination. There are too many alternatives now, and they are not only trying harder, they actually have competent people in charge! Surprise!

Sorry to say, but the high spending tourists are lost for good. They WILL NOT come back to Thailand, for a dozen different reasons. And places like Pattaya, Phuket and Samui will continue to go downhill. So, the goons at the TAT continue to pursue ever higher numbers, regardless of the noxious air, unbelievable congestion on the roads, and woeful service at the airports, that this policy only exacerbates. But, will they return? Not like before. Not even close.

Bizarre post  sounds like your forcing your Chinese theory to fit. Tourism around the globe is destroyed and in fact when things fire up again whenever that might be its the Chinese that will save Thailand, a luxury many other tourists hot spots that rely on the white man don't have. It's the white man that won't be traveling for years! 

Edited by madmen
  • Like 2

I may be wrong but I think that owners of small hotels will be able to weather this storm better than large hotels.  There is and will always be a market for low cost housing or apartments for people that work in the city but their family or home is up country.  If they are smart they will market to that crowd.

The larger hotels have more costs and a greater upkeep that they have to maintain.  You could ot market a room in the sheraton or Hyatt as an apartment at low cost.

Tourism is going to be slow and it will be interesting to see how the international brands decide which hotel they keep open and which they close.  Holiday inn has a lot of hotels in BKK and I am sure they will have to at one point or another make the necessary decision  as to how long they can run the hotels at a loss and which hotels they need to divest themselves of.    

The good news is that just like the stock market tourism will bounce back the only thing we do not know is what it will look like.

• Like 2

A baiting post has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

3 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I swear I'm the only paying resident in my entire hotel.  not that big, maybe four floors.  i might give them an extra 500 or 1000 baht because they have a kid and sometimes a nice gesture goes a long way.  but i can only imagine the stress....... 

in another hotel, i remember the owner would be super depressed if their place wasn't full.  now it must be numbing......

this is obviously not just a Thailand thing.....every hotel in the world.  soooo crazy.  

An old friend lives in a 50 room hotel just up the road from the Sheraton, he and an American are now the only two residents. I left there a month ago and it was down to 5 then.

The economies of countries like Spain & Greece are to be further destroyed by the decimation of their tourism industries, very sad.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

general manager Richard Coleman

It seems whoever wrote that article was not even able to look up the name of the GM on the internet.

The Sheraton Sukhumvit is already closed since more than a month because they had no guests anymore. Why would anybody blame a hotel for closing when it's empty? That does not make any sense.

Maybe before you publish misinformation like that talk to the GM, Richard Chapman.

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Logosone said:

were the Chinese who have a reputation all over the world for being cheap

Oh, that´s the reason why they buy so much in famous brand stores in Europe and the US.

In Chiang Mai the 5* hotels like the Le Meridien, Shangri La, Four Seasons, etc. are full of Chinese (in normal times) - and they pay the regular prices.  

But perhaps you have different experiences than all other business people I know who have contact with Chinese.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dap said:

An incredibly cold and mercenary response to "valued"(?) personnel. 

Do you believe everything you read somewhere?

TV published what Sanook published. And nobody checked even a little of what they published. Sad.

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Artisi said:

Do you feel sorry for them? 

I don't, screwing the staff at every turn - - let the share-holders dig into their huge profits generated off the backs of their employees. 

I agree with you entirely Artisi ... but I have a feeling I will see a porker fly by my condo window before that happens.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I agree with you entirely Artisi ... but I have a feeling I will see a porker fly by my condo window before that happens.

It wouldn't even be given the slightest passing thought.... 

6 hours ago, pj123 said:

Yes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobbyL said:

A sign of things to come in that area I reckon. Far too many new hotels like the Hyatt and many others being built on that same stretch of Sukhumvit from Nana to Asoke. They will be hemorrhaging money from now on. 

Ya think?  That's a revelation.

• Like 1

Regarding the "dereliction of duty" comment that is attracting so much derision here, it should be remembered that the letter to the employees was written in Thai and what is stated in the OP is just someones translation of it with no guarantee of it's accuracy.