Tesco Lotus sets new procedure for alcoholic beverages sales amid Covid-19 risk

webfact

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Why would any self respecting Farang shop at the BIG Tesco Lotus stores?

I don't get it. ????

It depends where you live. I hate my local Big C as it's way too busy. Parking is challenging even during relatively quiet times. At my big Tesco I have never struggled to get a parking spot, it's quieter and the people are more civilized. 

I do agree about the selection though. Simple things like reasonably priced pure apple juice and dry yeast are hard to come by.

11 hours ago, DavisH said:

Makro was bedlam the day before alcohol went on sale. They should open the shop, say 9am, then let in x number of people, then shut the doors. Everyone else must queue up (as if that's possible lol), and let on one trolley in for every trolley exiting. Thais are supposedly tolerant. I'm sure they can deal with that 55

Based on what, the ridiculous numbers of people that were infected? our are you just joining in the fear mongering?

4 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

No one has died from COVID. Always underlying conditions. The CDC in the US has said it's impact is less than the Flu! Yet they still keep the lockdown? Here we had one person tested with the non lethal COVID yesterday and under 300 in hospital and a 99% recovery rate. Why are we still having and putting up with these rediculous restrictions that are causing poverty, unhealthy people with no work and no money. The government has not paid a satang to my wife or her family despite challanging claims that they were farmers? Living snd working in central Bangkok. Open up. Stop this fear mongering. Or close the roads as they are far more dangerous!

Its obvious there is a new agenda now, that is being carried forward on lies and BS by a corrupt media, not a lot we can do - so I will drink! ????

11 hours ago, spermwhale said:

It is a Thai-owned affiliate. I've been to Tesco's Thai headquarters. I can't tell you how many foreigners I saw working in their offices. At least a hundred, probably more. 

I worked in Cheshunt and Welwyn for 10 years, not sure what your point is about foreigners though. UK is multicultral.

As far as I know the deal hasn't been sanctioned yet unless someone knows different.

Yes, it seems that Thailand is one of only a few countries in the world to

restrict the sale of alcohol. I do hope that the voters remember this at the

next election. I think that even the non drinkers have frustrated relatives and

friends who have been complainint. Down with Prayuts, watchman, and the

other dictator style leaders. Who needs submarines anyway?

Geezer

Interesting article about CP Group and the Tesco Lotus buyout/buyback:  https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-deals/Tesco-buyback-a-wish-come-true-for-CP-Group-s-80-year-old-tycoon

Snippet:

"Tesco Lotus is my child," CP Group Senior Chairman Dhanin Chearavanont told local media.

The return of Tesco Lotus to CP Group will be the realization of a decades-long wish for the 80-year-old. Dhanin is son and nephew of the group's co-founders. After taking over the family business in 1969, he expanded the company well beyond its agribusiness roots.

CP formed the Lotus Supercenter chain in 1994 under Dhanin's leadership. But after the Thai baht collapsed in July 1997 and triggered a wider financial crisis in Southeast Asia and beyond, the group sold 75% of Lotus to Tesco the following year. The rest was sold in 2003.

So the grand old man is buying back stuff he had to sell after the 1997 crash. They already got Siam Makro back.  Interesting corporate success story.

17 hours ago, Antiparovian said:

I don't normally do any"tugging" while buying alcohol. That is reserved for when I'm alone in the privacy of my own home....

If they ban tugging I'm outta here !

18 hours ago, transam said:

Takes a farang company to sort stuff out.....????

Now all they have to do is sort out their local staff. Most frustrating for me is when excellent products are introduced and some months later they simply disappear. Asking the desk staff doesn't reveal anything except "if you can't see it we haven't got it" 

David Rhead left the George Cohen 600Group and Joined Tesco as CEO.Saw potential here so bought in. All went well for a few years,then Thainess crept in with upcountry  outlets turned into big Mom n Pops and the stocks of Western Products as one can see today is minimal.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Five customers are allowed to enter the alley at one time and they have to be at least one metre away from one another.

This will work now as the "mass buying" is over, providing social distancing and some order.

However on Sunday the queues would have gone out the door and down the road.

All of this was totally avoidable if the government had applied some logic [I know they don't have any]

They caused the mass buying and the scenes witnessed on Sunday by issuing the ban in the first place.

Instead of dealing with the "illicit drinking problem" which conservatively speaking amounted to a few hundred people they punished the masses, when every household became dry what did they expect to happen when they opened the doors again?

When I was very young I was taught "cause & affect" something that's missing here.

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Seven is American lol.

7/11 started out being owned by a US company in TX.  It was bought by a Japanese company quite awhile ago.  There are a third more 7/11's in Japan than here in Thailand.  The CP corporation owns the 7/11 franchises in Thailand.h

13 hours ago, Zetetique said:

Sorry, not a Farang (English) company anymore but, for about a month, a Thai one which includes Makro and 7 Eleven. Not beginners hey ? There are some pretty smart Thais around, you should notice. I am a Farang. 

We covered that way back.....☺️

Tesco bought a big share of CP 20 years back and transformed the operation, made the shops more western, but alas it seems the profit margins were not up to par in this part of the world, so they sold it back to CP for $10,600,000,000,000 in March this year... 

7 hours ago, CGW said:

Its obvious there is a new agenda now, that is being carried forward on lies and BS by a corrupt media, not a lot we can do - so I will drink! ????

121868798_Screenshot2020-05-07at09_00_04.png.9849127ca18004ed5c18d96e19a3c589.png

I never go in our local anymore it stinks of rotten fish and durian. Recon they last cleaned the Air Con when Buddhas Dog ran off, and its full of cheap phone shops, blokes selling Number Plate Frames and Seat Covers, plus the Car Park Spaces are perfect width for Motor Cycles. Big City Guys are lucky.

I don't know about you guys but the seven (7) customers on the photo above look Asian to me.

I feel better now, I thought farang only were buying booze, well, that calls for a drink!

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all books in the world"    { Louis Pasteur }

I don't know why ppl talk about Farangs and alcoholics.

Yesterday I saw the neighboring Thai resort owner arriving with 5 boxes of Singha and 3 boxes of Leo.

Their business was shut down for weeks ... alcohol sales is open ... what do they do? Including all the mom & pop shops etc.?

All the news and pictures show Thai's making a run ... to get their hands on the boxes, before it might get banned again.

Sounds very logic to me. I would do the same, if I would have a catering/hotel business in Thailand.

Who created that issue? And no one is even sure what really caused the fact that there was no real outbreak here.

And all the drama and restrictions, look at the Air Asia crew uniform these days?

When, where and how will this end? For the people who are 'not' pensioners with a steady income or have savings?

What are they supposed to do? Stay at home forever?

Edited by RedPill

On 5/6/2020 at 3:18 PM, alien365 said:

If they don't want too many people in the aisles the government should simply allow alcohol to be bought at any time. It's not rocket science that the less time allowed to buy something, the more crowded it will be during those times.

Yup. The 2-5 'because of school' argument is presently even more silly.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:53 PM, transam said:

But the farang type operation sticks...????

It's called "Using their LOAF"...........................????

Not so sure about that. I ordered some beer to be delivered. 4 day waiting time. They cancelled for no reason just at the time the order should have been received by me.

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

Not so sure about that. I ordered some beer to be delivered. 4 day waiting time. They cancelled for no reason just at the time the order should have been received by me.

Well the place does not have farang delivery staff, does it....????