Dengue Fever

lelapin

On 5/11/2020 at 9:45 AM, finnsk said:

Dengue fever is maybe a bigger problem than Covid in asia.

No it is not.

Dengue fever is only present where there are Aedes mosquitoes and it is not contagious. 

I live out in the sticks but got dengue from a mosquito in a hotel in Pattaya, they prefer to be near humans. Although very uncomfortable and quite painful at times I would be a bit more concerned with covid-19.

• Like 1

For further protection I'd suggest buying mosquito proof clothing, but I don't even know myself where to buy in Thailand. Frustratingly I bought some mosquito proof socks and more tops from the UK a few months ago but I can't get them to Thailand anymore due to the covid issue. (My dad's flights were cancelled and the international post restrictions)

I had a gf in Brazil, was a schoolteacher out in the boondocks, town wasn't even on the map.  She caught dengue twice within a few years' time.  Hardy stock, and also Portuguese hard-headedness ????

So yeah, this thing about it being limited to dense urban areas just ain't so.  It didn't get much notice down there until it hit Rio, when celebrities and wealthy people started getting it.

My understanding is the mosquito that carries dengue is from Mangroves, these are the trees that live with their roots in water, and that the mosquitoes usually only fly one kilometer from those trees. So your stagnant water may not be an issue. Maybe put some of those fish that eat mosquito eggs in the water.

Pour a couple of spoonfuls of oil on the water. It spreads and creates a thin film which prevents the mosquito larvae from breathing.

NOTE. This won't work on flowing water.

Edited by phetphet
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mansell said:

My understanding is the mosquito that carries dengue is from Mangroves, these are the trees that live with their roots in water, and that the mosquitoes usually only fly one kilometer from those trees. So your stagnant water may not be an issue. Maybe put some of those fish that eat mosquito eggs in the water.

I have a large plant pot on my balcony, which stands in the usual plant pot tray and when it rains, this tray collects the water (which is obviously good for the plant) and on occasions I have decided to empty this water and in doing so I have seen little mosquito larvae (or at least I think they are) doing their thing in the water.

I spray a thin film of insect killer on this water in the hope that it will kill these things, and as yet the plant hasn't died!

I have had dengue fever before and certainly don't want it again.

Even a 'world class city in their own mind' place like Bangkok has a problem with putrid water, and even in the middle of the city. Try walking up Sukhumvit 19 and avoiding the stink. Then there's the 'canal' beside the road leading to Don Muang airport. And behind the houses where I once lived in Udom Suk there was a stinking canal. I don't know how the residents could stand it. Real third world stuff.

On 5/10/2020 at 5:02 PM, Sheryl said:

Spraying with insecticide will help but the spray will quickly be washed away when it rains

Better approach is just use insect repellent when you go out...or if possible avoid walking near it. The mosquito doesn:t fly very far from its breeding site.

75 ft I heard , maybe a lil oil evertime you go past 

Edited by Ireland32

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have a large plant pot on my balcony, which stands in the usual plant pot tray and when it rains, this tray collects the water (which is obviously good for the plant) and on occasions I have decided to empty this water and in doing so I have seen little mosquito larvae (or at least I think they are) doing their thing in the water.

I spray a thin film of insect killer on this water in the hope that it will kill these things, and as yet the plant hasn't died!

I have had dengue fever before and certainly don't want it again.

I got Dengue from flower pots overflowing I was dumping them because landlord overfills them 

2 hours ago, Mansell said:

I didn’t live anywhere near a mangrove in Patts 

2 hours ago, Mansell said:

Nothing to do with mangroves and the vector (aedes aegypti mosquito) is found throughout SE Asia, urban and rural areas.

Like all mosquitos it does require water to breed and it prefers stagnant water so will be found where there are collections of stagnant water.

Wet markets are a prime source as are uncovered water jars. But anything with stagnant water will do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Nothing to do with mangroves and the vector (aedes aegypti mosquito) is found throughout SE Asia, urban and rural areas.

Like all mosquitos it does require water to breed and it prefers stagnant water so will be found where there are collections of stagnant water.

Wet markets are a prime source as are uncovered water jars. But anything with stagnant water will do.

This is the stagnant water near my wall.

image.thumb.png.4c953ef4dfb5f5b625160626541f259e.png

Edited by lelapin

That doesn't look so stagnant, looks like a drain, and it must go somewhere...

In any case, just put anything in there, a couple of bars of soap, some oil, bleach, drain cleaner, whatever you like, it will drastically reduce or completely solve the problem.

16 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

That doesn't look so stagnant, looks like a drain, and it must go somewhere...

In any case, just put anything in there, a couple of bars of soap, some oil, bleach, drain cleaner, whatever you like, it will drastically reduce or completely solve the problem.

The problem is that the base of the drain is 2 feet below the level of the drainage pipe so even after rain when the water flows through 2 foot of dirty water still remains.

Fairly easy to fix the stagnant water issue, every week or so pour some oil over the water, then the Mosquito larvae cannot proliferate. If smelly water chuck in a bottle of bleach.   If it looks blocked, carefully throw in regularly some caustic soda.

I do this regularly, one advantage of the bleach is that it encourages Thai's to get it drained  ...it seemsd they dont like bleach either!!

Edited by Paul DS
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I was thinking of a litre of motor oil, the larvae can't breathe through the film. Environmental vandalism I know, but it is a question of the OP's priorities.

Motoroil is not a good environmental help. You better buy a bottle of baking oil (sunflower or whatever) and put that in.

Then indeed the water is covered with a layer of oil and larves cant breath and also mosuitos cant get in.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:34 PM, AshMart said:

In the first place, aedes mosquitoes choose clear clean water to breed so there is nothing to worry about. 

Ae. aegypti favour small receptacles over water in drains - like coconut shells or small plant pots that fill with water. Drain breeders are generally a dull brown color. Aegypti are quite distinct as they have white/silver banded legs on a black body. Other species look like this but would put money on it be aegypti if I saw one, which is not often. 

Our village gives small packets of pellets to put in water - I'm assuming it's bti. This stome adults emerging. Thermal fogging is a last resort, as the adults have already emerged. 

6 hours ago, Mansell said:

No, they don't breed in mangroves. 

2 hours ago, lelapin said:

If the surface of the water agitates, as it seems to be, there will be no mosquitoes emergig from that water. It needs to remain still for a fair about of time. If you see adults flying around it, they may like the moisture emanating from the water. They don't like dry environments. 

When I first came to Thailand 20 years ago, I noticed my gf's (wife now) family had mosquitoes breeding in the large water tank in their bathroom. I just told them to let the water drip slowly from the tap. I never saw mosquitoes in that tank again. 

Edited by DavisH

On 5/10/2020 at 10:31 PM, lelapin said:

Do you know what was used for the spraying sessions

You can buy this from lasada about 900 b and it is 25% CYPERMETHRIN it can be mixed with water for hand sprayer ,or is mixed with diesel when used in a heated type sprayer which makes the fog, and oil on wings etc.  We were overrun around our place with ticks it worked like a dream. Sometimes wifey comes home with some sachets that look a bit like a small tea bag, "govt. give me to put in places that have water" could try your local hardware shop for those.

IMG_1575.JPG.d008330ff8869de1c756c4de89cd7990.JPG

17 hours ago, lelapin said:

how about putting some screen door mesh fixed to underside of the grating, will still allow water to pass but stop mosquitoes perhaps?

The sad fact is, as I know my own cost, mosquitoes cannot be avoided, so neither can Dengue if it's in the area .  if you live in the tropics its a daily risk that you take.  Yes you can try to use repellent on your skin, but its usually foul smelling, doesn't last long and is largely ineffective when you are hot and sweaty.   We try to keep the house free by the use of screens and spray, but even that doesn't always work. Dengue is a horrible affliction that laid me out for 6 weeks, 15 years ago.  the pain was the worst  I had ever experienced. As I told my wife at the time, it was far worse than child birth, which as we men all know, is just a little stinging. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

There is a small fish, don't know its name, but in common use among Thai's, that eat the mozzie eggs.

Mosquitos apparently do not go more than 150m from their birthplace. So if you check around your home for static water, and remove it, or if too big, add those fish, you will have done at least something to help.

We have near us a pond with a statue and this is full of the small fish, and many people come with a small net to catch a few and take them to their own static water menace, like large pots with flowers.

The mosquitoes themselves do not automatically carry dengue, but can get it from sucking on a carrying human, and then transfer it to another. Another well known method of prevention is the 6pm to 6am rule of long sleeves, trousers not shorts, and spray the remaining skin that shows.

This helps. Good luck.

Ok, some contradictory information but mainly good. 

1. Aedes aegypti (the vector for dengue) prefers to live near humans, but they may exist at low levels elsewhere. As said, their needs to be a human carrier in the area for the mosquitoes to bite before they become infected.

2. Only female mosquitoes suck blood, so only they get infected.

3. Where do they breed? They need water, but only a small amount. They need food in the water (microorganisms) so very pure water will not support mosquitoes, also very polluted water will probably be toxic as well, e.g. high levels of detergent.

4. Water in drains is often to polluted (Thais just LOVE washing clothes and use a lot of detergents) and if flowing also not favoured. Water in large ponds and lakes also not good for the larvae as wind induced currents keep the water moving and of course fish and other predators will eat them.

5. As said, flower pots, discarded plastic, tyres, anything which can hold water make the best breeding sites for them. They just need a bit of dust and soil and soon you have a breeding site. Easy to control in the dry season, but in the wet season can breed easily, can just live in the soil then.

6. Control - fogging will kill the mosquitoes in the immediate area, but it is only temporary. Certainly the way it is done in Thailand usually pretty useless, the mosquitoes either hide or are not all killed, usually back within 24 hours. Spraying indoors is effective. Dumping loads of insecticide down drains is counter-productive - it can end up draining into ponds and rivers. Oils only good for smaller areas.

Putting fish in drains will not work - they will almost certainly die very quickly - only effective if the water is clean enough to support animal life. The fish used in Thailand are usually guppies - small colourful fish which breed readily and can be kept in quite small containers. Goldfish are too big - cats will eat them if they can! Tilapia, again too big really for tanks and bowls, but ok for ponds etc.

So, eradicating the mosquitoes is nearly impossible - but - very few of then actually have the virus. Can only reduce the numbers. Protect your home (fly screens, no open doors and windows), spray if necessary, dress sensibly, spray ankles and other exposed parts (i just use the Soffell stuff in small spray bottles). Keep an ear open for any local cases (and then increase measures), usually any local outbreak is short lived. Finally, the roads kill more people than Dengue does.

• Thanks 1