Can you ride out the pandemic?

6 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

Before COVID came I was already thinking that the stock market would crash before the end of this year so, when the market was hitting record highs, I was already cashing out in preparation for a year or two of recession.  From that point of view I couldn't have timed it better. Only thing I'm hoping for now is the USD to strengthen a bit against the THB.

I hope you bought back in when it was down ?

I bought in with extra funds I have in reserve, then sold and made the best money I have since being here in 4.5 years, that said, when I did sell, some stocks that I sold, fell again and I bought back in again making another 1/3rd of what I made the previous month, funny thing is those stocks kept climbing after I sold and I could have made 3 times more than what I made previously, damned when you do, damned when you don't, picking the market at both ends is the hardest thing to do, but as I always say to myself, you have blue chips that pay you dividends, albeit it they have reduced their dividends by 60% and or withheld on paying some, but you have made serious coin as opposed to being stuck with the stock being down, so I have to be grateful for the opportunity, greed has never been my motto, but more is always better, besides I have my reserves back and will go it again when I feel the time is right ????

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Best bet is first aid fillings then. You should also buy antibiotics in the event of an actual abscess. Your friendly pharmacist or google will inform you as to which to buy.

Amazon UK out of stock, Lazada nothing listed. Is the temporary stuff made by mixing zinc oxide with oil of cloves?

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Yea i invested some extra money too. Bigger TV, soundbar under the TV. Old TV 55 inch goes to bedroom. Got an extra VR set.. I always had good comfort in my home as i work from home. Still there are other things to improve upon if i wanted it. Just not ready to have construction crews in my home again. 

I thought I had all of the creature comforts, but with being home all day now, NOT.  Started buying things to enhance my relaxation time, a Harmon Kardon surround sound system for my Amazon Echo's, so I can listen to the same music throughout the house.  Bought a tablet with a stand for the Kitchen, so the GF can watch her cooking shows while cooking.  Of course had to buy a few new cooking gadgets as well.  Of course I had to also buy the next size wine refrigerator to house the growing collection, which almost turned to zero with the lockdown.  Yes unfortunately the Lockdown has cost me more than if I would have not been stuck in the abode with the Family.......The big investment was the Precor Treadmill, since the gyms were closed as well as the parks..... 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Same, my ex-Brit-schoolteacher wife was banging the gardener ....... only lost one house but it was a 600,000GBP house.

But hey,

it's not all that bad ....... if mine hadn't done the gardener, I'd still be hearing, "I'm not in the mood" from a 63 year old woman.

Now,

I'm being forced to ride out the pandemic in Chiang Mai with a Thai lady nearly half that age in my bed.

Some of your posts do put a much needed smile on my face, I must admit.

When you say you 'lost' the 600k house, how much in real terms money wise did you lose? Was talking to a fella I know recently who was very close to buying his apartment in the Docklands, London for 11k in 1984 would be worth 1.3 million now. Many peoples lifes has changed for better or worse due to property.

So far so good, far from complacent though, always remember that joke about the guy falling off the Empire State Building. The ramifications of this pandemic, or rather the response to it, are far from clear. Bit of a Black Swan Event if you ask me. No doubt, in retrospect, we'll be saying how obvious it all was.

31 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Many peoples lifes has changed for better or worse due to property.

House price value rises wouldn't have made any difference to me.

If I'd earned more money, I'd have bought a bigger house, and the ex-wife would have still taken it off me.

I'd have been better off renting all my life.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

I do wonder about the logic of worldwide shutdowns that no economy can sustain for more than a few months? When we open up the virus will still be circulating in populations without herd immunity. You inflict enormous economic damage only to open up and start the whole routine once again. 

I think it would have been more sensible to focus on prevention by isolating key risk groups but essentially allowing life and commerce to go on. After a while the virus will have less impact and over time we’ll  have medical solutions that limit it’s impact. 

The world’s approach simply destroys economic life whilst increasing the death numbers, which are spread over a longer time stretch and worsened by the devastating economic impact. 

I think the governments so far did their best. All was done so the hospitals would not overflow and there would be no deaths because of lack of space. That is all that lock-down helped to prevent. I think they worry a lot about having too many cases and when hospitals cant cope death-rate skyrockets. 

Not sure if its fair to people to force them to be exposed to corvid. Then again I understand the economic problems too. Tough choices and whatever they do they will always be attacked. 

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

House price value rises wouldn't have made any difference to me.

If I'd earned more money, I'd have bought a bigger house, and the ex-wife would have still taken it off me.

I'd have been better off renting all my life.

rent women too

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. No one on an anonymous forum is going to admit to shagging a less than DDG burd.

Reminds me of the time a mate of mine was in LOS for his holidays. When he came back he raved about the beautiful girls he'd had. He had his snaps developed in the UK and asked me to deliver copies to the beloveds on my next trip. Being curious I had a look and my goodness they were so ugly that I felt sorry for him. Not that I let him know that though. Poor guy.

Reminds me of someone I used to know that admitted on an anonymous forum that he went out with an ugly fatty in Thailand that worked as a cook in a Sizzler to make ends meet because her farang lottery couldn't afford to support them both! Its funny, whenever he bangs on about other people having rough partners I mention this. He still always flies into a rage. Funny how he always seems to forget that when he's nasty about other people. Do you remember him TBL?

Edited by Kananga
  • Like 1

Tricky, when to buy shares at the start I thought I'd put some in, went about half, probably a shade too early but not too bad, still holding the other half, waiting for the second wave to hit the US. Not that I hope that. Other than that wish there was sport on TV, drinking only moderate, diet good, wife has been terrific, income secure, a bit more would be nice, divvies down and work not possible, travel plans all over the place. Not scared.

The CCP Virus has not affected me too much and my savings are not touched. I have saved more money from not doing coffee shops and restaurants then what I could believe. I needed a new TV, so from the savings of last month, bought one. I already have a good surround sound system and many other toys to play with. I have a stable income and nothing for me changes at all. My wife and I do not need much. I live in a old Lana House that one day in the future I will most likely knock down to build a small but well provisioned home as the location of the Land is worth a fortune and we could not afford to buy land in this area again. These are my plans for the next 10 or so years regardless of Virus or no Virus.

Life just goes on. 

• Like 1

I teach online from my rented house in Laos. with business visa and work permit all in place.  So no problems for my daily income from teaching ????

My main hobby is ham radio, mainly using digital (non-voice) modes.  My rig is right next to my teaching desk.  So, I can teach and also make my ham radio contacts around the world at the same time.

My only downside is that the local night-market is closed, where I'd normally buy fresh, healthy salads after work.  I'm eating whatever I can buy at the one and only small supermarket in town.  Need to go on a diet when lock-down ends here!

Myself and my wife are quite comfortable with rice and noodles and everything from her garden and some ice cream in the freezer and a handful of very cold beers and the movies provided by the internet and taking care of the normal household necessities, yada yada yada. All good at this end and the pandemic has only affected us in normal travel situations. I don't see a whole lot to ride out, as for us, it's pretty much normal everyday life. :cowboy:

Edited by Dap
  • Like 1

Ok for me here in Singapore. Have a 4 bedder in district 9 and two kids in international school, so minimum monthly expenses are around 270,000 baht (equivalent) a month. Could probably sustain that for six months if job went south, also have a few rental properties in the UK which bring in some additional income that I could also rely on. Not worried to be honest but I do miss all the business trips and family vacations.

Edited by Kananga

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. No one on an anonymous forum is going to admit to shagging a less than DDG burd.

Reminds me of the time a mate of mine was in LOS for his holidays. When he came back he raved about the beautiful girls he'd had. He had his snaps developed in the UK and asked me to deliver copies to the beloveds on my next trip. Being curious I had a look and my goodness they were so ugly that I felt sorry for him. Not that I let him know that though. Poor guy.

Why not? It is anonymous after all, I'm sure most will admit to a few munters on the CV....though this place does attract more than its share of fantasists all with Hi-so Thai Chinese wives with generals for fathers..... 

5 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

Why not? It is anonymous after all, I'm sure most will admit to a few munters on the CV....though this place does attract more than its share of fantasists all with Hi-so Thai Chinese wives with generals for fathers..... 

Not to mention those sad losers that try and convince people they were in the CIA or worse still that they were in the Vietnam war!

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

I can confirm the photo BMT sent me by PM is/was a 10. Now excuse me while I get the drool off my keyboard.

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

How are your plans for coping with the present situation working?

No change in financial plans, so far business as usual for me.

In life-style minor changes due to lockdown, but not a big problem, just a question of time before it reverts to something not that far from how the World once was...????

30 minutes ago, khunPer said:

No change in financial plans, so far business as usual for me.

In life-style minor changes due to lockdown, but not a big problem, just a question of time before it reverts to something not that far from how the World once was...????

Permit me to doubt the travel and airline industries will get back to "normal" for a long long time. There are airlines going bust all over the world.

4 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

What pandemic ? Merriam Webster defines "pandemic" as a widespread disease with an exceptionally high contagion rate, but I don,t know of one person having it nor know any friend who knows anyone affected by it. Something very fishy here !

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR1-sX77RQsi5L8WuitD1Phb2_8_h1IPSQLkWaeUYST6ICTzdWRs96VtUDs

4.5 million infected , 300k death . And yes i know several people who did have it and far family of me had 4 deaths . Be happy that it isnt circulating anywhere near you since it is highly infectious and once it does enter 1 person in your surroundings , very fast everybody in your surroundings gets it . 

Oh and those nrs are very understated , since they done antibody tests on randoms around here , and according to that around 6% of population did have it .

Edited by sezze

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I think it was Stalin who said millions of deaths are just a statistic. I believe the relatives of the 85,000 who have died in the US would disagree with your imaginary description.

It is absolutely an imaginary pandemic, spot on BritMan. How can “covid” be classed even as a disease when a quarter of those who “have” it show no symptoms whatsoever???