How Much Does an Abortion cost in Thailand?

NCC1701A

I have a Thai friend who is asking me for money to help her. 

I thought I would research this as her requests for money seems high.   

This is a serious question so no jokes which i know seems weird because I am me and you know, anyway.

Are there free clinics? or very low cost clinics? government hospitals?  

is it even legal? 

and no i am not the father. and i was not born yesterday. unfortunately.     

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There are no legal clinics. Abortion is illegal in Thailand.

I think the only way it can be done is if the life of the mother is at risk.

B-I-L had to pay about 20K Baht at an illegal back street clinic in Udon about ten years ago.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As of Feb 21st of February 2020 abortion is now legal.

However an issue remains as to where such procedures can actually be performed. It has huge variation in availability depending on which region the young lady lives in.

Her first port of call should be her local hospital. They will have the information you need.

I advise against using illegal clinics. Over 100,000 young women end up in hospital resulting from complications.

Good luck mate.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

As of Feb 21st of February 2020 abortion is now legal.

However an issue remains as to where such procedures can actually be performed. It has huge variation in availability depending on which region the young lady lives in.

Her first port of call should be her local hospital. They will have the information you need.

I advise against using illegal clinics. Over 100,000 young women end up in hospital resulting from complications.

Good luck mate.

The change in the law you are referring to does not take effect until Feb. 2021.

By that time she will have a baby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I have a Thai friend who is asking me for money to help her."

If she can't do it legally and you help her you might end with many problems. In the worst case she dies. IF you are not the father why you want to do this at all?!

• Like 2

My sister-in-law had a couple of them done when she worked in Phuket about a decade ago, they are still illegal, cost was about 2,000-3,000 each time back then if memory serves me correctly, but I suppose it depends on who is doing them and where.

She asked my wife to help her out and she declined, her reason being that she knows better when having sex to wear a condom, and to take the pill, after all she was making money, but chose to drink it and take yabba dabba doo, her mistake, not my wife's, she is hard, but fair and I agreed with her, so the big sister paid for it twice, did her sister learn from it, well she now has a 2 year old, father being the x boy friend is in jail for a decade because he got busted dealing in yabba dabba doo.

If she is a friend and you lend her money, will this be the only time, I say that with respect.

Sometimes you got to be hard, or people don't learn, different if it was a life death situation, and I know you said you no jokes, so I have gone in the opposite direction as you didn't say no preaching ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

@NCC1701A

I advise you to advise your friend not to do abortion. It is not only dangerous to your friend (she might have trouble giving future births) but also cruel to the baby.

There are organisations in Thailand that will accept unwanted babies for future adoptions. I have been to one in Bangkok but I forgot its name.

There are many childless couples in Thailand and in the world that will adopt the baby. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Only good way for that is travel to other coundry where is legal but thanks for covid that can be hard!

And cost much also but i now NCC have money lol

It is legal here in Thailand for medical (which includes mental) reasons - not every doctor is going to perform but it is available in safe settings.

43 minutes ago, EricTh said:

@NCC1701A

I advise you to advise your friend not to do abortion. It is not only dangerous to your friend (she might have trouble giving future births) but also cruel to the baby.

There are organisations in Thailand that will accept unwanted babies for future adoptions. I have been to one in Bangkok but I forgot its name.

There are many childless couples in Thailand and in the world that will adopt the baby. 

Best answer. Thanks for posting.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1