What it’s really like dining out at social distancing restaurants in Thailand– and why it WON’T work post-lockdown

webfact

49 minutes ago, Fling said:

Wow you think really. Finally someone at least wrote a small little dose of common sense for a change not much here but finally a little bit. 

This whole thing is total nonsense. More of psychological epidemic than virus. 

Just imagine the living environment of S Korea and Japan. Majority of population (99$) is living in tiny space of jam packed high rise apartments like chicken farm and the subway as major transportation is packed with no space between each riders. What the hell mask would make any difference. On the other hand we have 100 times more space between each person in US. But the death rate is exponentially higher than tiny Asian country. Whole thing is scientifically BS. Definitely something is not right. And liberal media is eager to make Trump look bad for whatever the fact is and using COVID to attack Trump every possible way. 

It is more mystery than UFO.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The popular restaurants in Central mall were fairly busy yesterday at 3 pm.

Bonchon had about a 30 minute wait.

X at places where not to sit.  Some had the plastic dividers and some not.

I guess people can wait for a vaccine before they go out and eat.  I plan on eating out when I feel like it.

Well Sunday is officially shopping day in Thailand so opening the malls on a Sunday was brilliant. It must have been like a buffalo stampede! Sorry we missed out on all the fun.????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smedly said:

my only comment is about the clear PVC screens dividing a single table up, what is the point of that, when you go to eat and sit at a table it is usually with someone you know and have already been in close contact with, putting a screen between you on a table serves no logical purpose, in saying that - putting a larger screen between the individual tables might make more sense but only a little more 

The hotbed for spreading something are the areas inside were people will share like toilets or even the chairs and table you are using - the sauces and salt and pepper shakers that usually sit on tables - the truth is - restaurants are hotbeds for spreading stuff by their very nature - even worse than bars but not by much

The point of the PVC is so they have more seating. Each party is supposed to be 2 meters apart. They are trying to get around that by separating parties with a barrier.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Personally I refuse to participate.  If restaurants are going to put up plastic sheeting, require masks, social distancing - then I won't go.  By the way, you can find restaurants is the back alley khets of cities and in villages where none of this nonsense is happening and it's back to business as usual.

This is a virus.  The virus will burn out like all seasonal viruses do. This entire fiasco has been politicized and hyped.  A seasonal flu has been made into something it is not - but in the process the economy, society, culture, and religions have been destroyed.

When average people feel enough pain they'll finally say "enough" then the world can get back to normal - not 'the new normal' promised by technocrats and power mad politicians - but normal. But until then, the economy will continue to be devastated and restaurants will be a bell-weather.  The future bell-weather will be tourism that refuses to recover.

Nobody is asking you to. You are free to cook at home or get delivery everyday. Some people would just like to do something different besides the same routine under lockdown. All restaurants will be like this in the near future. Day by day things will get better and restrictions will be lifted.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As if we all do know this can never be done and expecting money comes out of it from restaurant or bars....this social distancing is killing the origin for dining out or drinking out .

All that temperature checking  and handwashing can become second nature,and can become accepted as a new way, but the whole social distancing is like a wishful fairy tale, same as the 1.5/2 meter or whatever distance, as already on airplane not requested anymore as the big shots their earnings would evaporate as no more economic possible to fly by the masses 

If they find no cure or vaccination this could create very hard civil unrest as limiting freedom as used to by very free people we westerners ……, you can see it starting all over Europe starting , and besides the rich would see their fortune evaporate

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

No new cases in Chonburi district since April 26, Pattaya City since April 20. 

What "spread" are they "tracking"

What "spread" are they "tracking"

That is a leading question.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

No it's not a bad thing because it's Thai. That's a strawman argument. It's bad wherever it takes place and I already mentioned that the Thai government is simply copying their new best friends in China. 

As for the tin foil hat argument, I remember when it became common knowledge that your movements could be tracked by checking which towers your mobile phone pinged off. Naive people like you were claiming that was some kind of conspiracy theory being pushed by the "tinfoil hat" brigade ????. Ignorance is bliss eh?

People like you really make it easy for the authorities to invade the privacy of the people they are supposed to be serving (normally under the guise of national security). 

I went this morning Big C Sukhumvit and they use a scanning qr system  to whatever tracking (?) …, but it did not work for me or even another foreigner , probably as the connection site is only in Thai , maybe it don't accept any smartphone settings in a non Thai language ….., would not surprise me from Thai organizing such thing ….. finally we could be allowed go inside Big C  after again temperature  checked ….. but …. no handwashing there as at Tesco Lotus (?)

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, bangsaenguy said:

With all these restrictions, are restaurants washing dishes in hot water or sterilising between uses? Hell no

The heat of the water is not really a problem as long as they are using soap. More of a problem would be how often they change the water in the bowl used, which in most places is what is used. Having said that, I much prefer kitchen utensils washed using hot water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Even crazier is when they make you sit diagonally with another diner (whom you probably sleep with) instead of opposite. The distance is probably 1 cm different.

That's what I noticed in quite a few sit-down places when I was out and around over this past weekend in BKK...

Tables for 4... with two seats/places marked off as forbidden. So two people could sit at the table, but not opposite/across from each other... only in the diagonal chairs....

I guess it might prevent you breathing directly into the other person's face. But I'm not sure in reality how much difference shifting to a diagonal seat is gonna make.

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

Yesterday even in small Tesco need type your information on list! My name chance to Donald Duck! Phone 0856666666

I was delighted to see that Sid and Doris Bonkers were seen to be visiting Tesco On Nut yesterday.

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

Yesterday even in small Tesco need type your information on list! My name chance to Donald Duck! Phone 0856666666

The big Tesco did that to us this morning we just scribbled something down on the paper and went shopping but the small Tesco has never done that although they do want you to wear a mask inside. I never wear it outside it’s just too damn for a hot outside and most people working outside don’t wear it either. I’ve made multiple videos including today. I just said my phone number really and I told my wife just write something and let’s go. 

Edited by Fling

15 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

I have found that I am spending much less money these days.  I only get food to take out from less expensive places, not the air-conditioned more upscale ones I used to go to.  I will save also more when I do decide to go to a restaurant where I am able to eat on site because I won't be ordering any over-priced wine or beer with my meal.  I used to get a haircut, a manicure and a pedicure twice a month, but now I am happy to just get my hair trimmed a bit shorter once a month and do the nail care myself at home.  I am now used to watching what I want when I want on Netflix for less than I used to spend going to a cinema only one time, and I can watch Netflix in my boxers.  I am also used to staying home more so there is no need to wear as many different articles of clothing which saves on laundry soap, softener, water and electricity.  In addition, I am spending only about a third as much on fuel for my vehicles, and not driving  means not having to change the oil or service the vehicles as often.  In short, I have found that I really do not need as much as I thought I used to need.  My life has become simpler, healthier and less stressful.

What you and many seem to be doing is justifying a downgrade in their lifestyle.

I personally don't want to live my end years with some simpleton scared life feeling good about myself because I am squirreling away money.  

1 hour ago, Retarded said:

Whole thing is scientifically BS. Definitely something is not right. And liberal media is eager to make Trump look bad for whatever the fact is and using COVID to attack Trump every possible way. 

It is more mystery than UFO.

Indeed, there's absolutely no need to make Trump look bad, he is doing a wonderful job of that himself, every time he speaks or tweets. And yes, that's the reason we, especially americans, whether you're liberal or not, but with a sense of good vs evil, need to "attack Trump every possible way."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I give it two weeks before it starts getting relaxed.  Many restaurants in Bangkok, which have been allowed to open for 2 weeks now, are not imposing the single seating restriction or having screens.  Table spacing, hand sanitising, masks for servers and temperature checks - yes, but it's a complete nonsense to separate diners from each other.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

What you and many seem to be doing is justifying a downgrade in their lifestyle.

I personally don't want to live my end years with some simpleton scared life feeling good about myself because I am squirreling away money.  

it is same as the one you replied to, he only he see the benefit in it ,...sadly enough , while you just realize wat quality in life you loose .

The way it is going present is the wrong way , fault of wide spread media attention with so many experts contradicting each other and driving the world crazy 

• Like 1