Home style Bacon......yummo!

23 hours ago, sirineou said:

Bacon makes everything batter. :smile: 

I fry it, cut it up, and boil it with Brussels sprouts. Then  I throw away the Brussels sprouts and eat the bacon.  LOL

only kidding, I will admit my shame, I like Brussels Sprouts too. 

I have never had a problem with Brussel Sprouts.  My mum had a way of cooking them which made them tasty.

22 hours ago, vogie said:

Nothing better than homemade bacon in homemade bread with lashings of New Zealand butter............breakfast time.

As an Australian I am ashamed to admit it but I eat NZ butter too.  I don't see how the Australian butter can be worth half a dollar more! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes my A1B, the new blood test for bacon grease, showed it was on its way to non elevated levels. Doctor told me to up my intake of bacon to 400 grams a day.....lol

Yesterday had a full blood workup and everything in range for age.  Goodbye diabetes....don't hurry back.  The Moringa Oleifera leaves in my Lemon Honey Tea must be doing the trick.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Hey GJ,

Tried a black pepper and molasses dry cured bacon? Great stuff. Ingredients pepper. molasses, sugar and salt. You don't need the pink salt. I have recipes (on a remote drive somewhere) for farm made sausages western and some Isaan ones. You will need a mincer and spout. I buy salted pig intestines (skins) by the kilogram at an old style Thai general store. 

If you are interested in the recipes, let me know and I will try to find the drive. We should start a pinned thread on farm produce and recipes.

Maaate, you had me from black pepper and molasses dry cured bacon!   Those salted pig intestines (skins), would be great if you had a picture of the packet they come in.  And being salted they will last in the heat better than some others.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

Maaate, you had me from black pepper and molasses dry cured bacon!   Those salted pig intestines (skins), would be great if you had a picture of the packet they come in.  And being salted they will last in the heat better than some others.  

No packaging, just a bag of salt with the skins in it. Buy by the kilogram from memory. Take as many as you need and soak them in water to remove the salt. 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2020 at 6:18 AM, stephenterry said:

I see a few posters are on their way to an early heart attack from blocked arteries. Advise an immediate ECG. 

I have 2 slices once a week, am I at risk?

I have diabetes type II. Doctor told me to cut-down on carbs to control my blood sugar and to eat more fat for energy.

Last year, I was told I had gall-stones and that I needed to have key-hole surgery to take out my gall-bladder.

Doctor told me to eat less fat because of not having a gall-bladder (still have bile).

Now, the only thing left is protein. Lots of beans, pulses and lean meats. Eating a lot more bacon than I used to, but, it has to be back bacon and not the streaky kind.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sungod said:

I have 2 slices once a week, am I at risk?

All meat consumption results in an inflammatory response, especially processed meat - which scientists advise is unhealthy. However, two slices of bacon a week, providing  accompanying food is plant based, and makes up at around 70-80% of your lifestyle is probably not harmful to you, only the pig that was slaughtered to feed you.

11 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I have diabetes type II. Doctor told me to cut-down on carbs to control my blood sugar and to eat more fat for energy.

Last year, I was told I had gall-stones and that I needed to have key-hole surgery to take out my gall-bladder.

Doctor told me to eat less fat because of not having a gall-bladder (still have bile).

Now, the only thing left is protein. Lots of beans, pulses and lean meats. Eating a lot more bacon than I used to, but, it has to be back bacon and not the streaky kind.

Protein is overrated. By following a whole food plant based lifestyle, you will provide your body with all the protein you need - and would (scientifically proven) to reverse diabetes 2 as well. While meat protein is absorbed quicker, it's not essential. I'm sorry to hear about your gallstones, it was an unnecessary operation, IMO.   

16 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

I remember my father telling my mum she was working too hard cooking the veggies for family meals. She only had to cook them, not boil the ByJesus out of them. Fond memories

Yes , many years ago my mum lived near to the biggest vineyards in England , when visiting I would buy the wine and she the lunch. On a board above in the restaurant was written ' For those that like their veg cooked a little longer just ask '.  My mum always asked.  Soggy sprouts  yuk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Protein is overrated. By following a whole food plant based lifestyle, you will provide your body with all the protein you need - and would (scientifically proven) to reverse diabetes 2 as well. While meat protein is absorbed quicker, it's not essential. I'm sorry to hear about your gallstones, it was an unnecessary operation, IMO.   

plants cause gallstones

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

At risk of going nutS! ???? How on earth can one retain ones sanity in this godless county without some semblance of normality.  It's bad enough almost everything on the menu comes with rice,  or something made out of rice...noodles being one.  We are cultured gentleman of good stock and good character ( ???? ) so denying us a filling healthy breakfast is insulting to say the least. 

I was being sarcastic............

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

First attempt a couple of days ago. I ordered the wrong size casings

from Artisans which wouldn’t fit over the nozzle of the grinder. So down to the local market to get the fresh ones. Cleaning them was a bit of a challenge.

Plenty of recipes on Google.

E8017B99-40E6-4DCE-B9C1-CE7605F27683.jpeg

Don't leave us hanging....whats the recipe? 

2 hours ago, vogie said:

There is nothing better than getting out of bed in the morning with a strong smell of bacon wafting around the house, conversely there is nothing worse than getting up in the morning with a strong smell of fish, and the smell has a habit of lingering.

Ask her to shower then!   PML

• Like 1