Thailand looking at quarantine waiver for selected tourists

webfact

8 minutes ago, EricTh said:

It has already been stated earlier that China and South Korea are on list of low-risk countries.

Not quite. They're not on the list of high risk countries. Subtle difference.

• Like 2

Post in breach of Forum Rules removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wholly predictable behavior. China, Korea, Singapore, Japan and India.... 

Can't say I blame Thailand, its highly political now - A large lump of Thailand's GDP comes from tourism, Thailand simply can't afford not to kick-start the tourism industry as soon as possible.

Lock-Down objectives have been met. Hospitals were not overwhelmed. Covid-19 is with us, most have probably had it and not known. Life has to move on now, economies have be defibrillated - this is true of the world, not just Thailand.

Most have not had it here. 

Where did you get that wild idea? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JCP108 said:

So, if we end up in a world where Chinese people can travel freely in some parts of the country while farang tourists can't, how will they know that I am not a tourist as I'm here on a retirement extension? Will we wear special armbands whenever we're out in public if we're one of the ones not allowed to go to some parts of Thailand?

I guess you will need your passport with the extension of stay and the last arrival stamp you recieved on arrival. Not that hard to figure out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JCP108 said:

So, if we end up in a world where Chinese people can travel freely in some parts of the country while farang tourists can't, how will they know that I am not a tourist as I'm here on a retirement extension? Will we wear special armbands whenever we're out in public if we're one of the ones not allowed to go to some parts of Thailand?

Easy, White skin quadruple  the entrance fee

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I guess you will need your passport with the extension of stay and the last arrival stamp you recieved on arrival. Not that hard to figure out.

But, where are the checkpoints to block those who aren't legit? At the door of every hotel and 7-11? At the entryways to the selected regions? Can I trust all the folks manning those checkpoints to figure it out cleanly? Probably not. 

Get Thai in the air again and offer government organised packaged holidays,  14 days in a government hotel full board, evening entertainment and no need to leave the hotel, all internal transport inc

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, moe666 said:

"Show me your papers, farang!"

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, bodga said:

Ok so I'm English have  lived in China for 10  years,  hold a  UK and Italian   passport have never left China in all that  time and  will fly in, whattcha  gonna do Thailand?

PS  all untrue but what if?

Good question ... I hold a passport from one of the Scandinavian countries  - working in Beijing  for almost a year. Never left Beijing since December last year. 

26 minutes ago, rvaviator said:
5 hours ago, bodga said:

Ok so I'm English have  lived in China for 10  years,  hold a  UK and Italian   passport have never left China in all that  time and  will fly in, whattcha  gonna do Thailand?

PS  all untrue but what if?

Good question ... I hold a passport from one of the Scandinavian countries  - working in Beijing  for almost a year. Never left Beijing since December last year. 

What do you suggest? Make individual decisions about each traveler?

There will always be some "exceptions" which don't fit into the regulations. And if these are only a few then it does not really matter.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

I would add that Vietnam with zero deaths 

New Zealand with zero cases. 

Australia with 100 deaths and restrictions easing. 

These are the ones who should be given access almost immediately. 

Minimum risk. 

Aussies and Kiwi's can't leave their countries though.

• Like 1

Tourism is not returning to Thailand anytime soon. If you think about it, the group that comprised perhaps 60% of all arrivals (lower to middle income Chinese and Indians) are the ones who have been hardest hit by this idiotic worldwide economic shutdown. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work.

Will most countries will still be required to have Covid letters, as the virus is still raging in many countries. And some countries will not issue that letter (impossible to get in the US).

Plus, will mandatory health insurance be required? Will it be a policy without a pandemic exception, which is costlier? 

Will the restrictions be even stricter than before?

Will the restrictions be based on the numbers of infections on the country you are coming from? That would make sense. So, the hardest hit, and the most radioactive tourists in the world, for the next year or so will be:

1. US

2. Brazil

3. Russia.

4. Spain

5. UK

6. italy

7. France

8. Germany

9. Turkey

10. India

China is presently #14 on the list, but they seem to have beaten this thing long ago (as it would appear, if the deleted are the be trusted), and are an important sector for Thailand, so my guess is no restrictions on Chinese. But, looks like they lost the Indian market for the next year or so, with nearly 140,000 cases, and over 4,000 deaths. 

There are so many unanswered questions, it boggles the mind. One thing is for certain. Thailand will be feeling the effects of this for a very, very long time, with 20% of it's economy dependent on tourism. So will the rest of the world. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Translation : If your country regularly starts pandemics or lies through its teeth and doesn't do any testing, you can come back 

You mean like Laos and Cambodia? They've done no testing in 40 days and declared victory already.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Tourism is not returning to Thailand anytime soon. If you think about it, the group that comprised perhaps 60% of all arrivals (lower to middle income Chinese and Indians) are the ones who have been hardest hit by this idiotic worldwide economic shutdown. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work.

Will most countries will still be required to have Covid letters, as the virus is still raging in many countries. And some countries will not issue that letter (impossible to get in the US).

Plus, will mandatory health insurance be required? Will it be a policy without a pandemic exception, which is costlier? 

Will the restrictions be even stricter than before?

Will the restrictions be based on the numbers of infections on the country you are coming from? That would make sense. So, the hardest hit, and the most radioactive tourists in the world, for the next year or so will be:

1. US

2. Brazil

3. Russia.

4. Spain

5. UK

6. italy

7. France

8. Germany

9. Turkey

10. India

China is presently #14 on the list, but they seem to have beaten this thing long ago (as it would appear, if the deleted are the be trusted), and are an important sector for Thailand, so my guess is no restrictions on Chinese. But, looks like they lost the Indian market for the next year or so, with nearly 140,000 cases, and over 4,000 deaths. 

There are so many unanswered questions, it boggles the mind. One thing is for certain. Thailand will be feeling the effects of this for a very, very long time, with 20% of it's economy dependent on tourism. So will the rest of the world. 

"No restrictions on the Chinese". Sigh. I like most of your posts but this one wasn't very carefully thought out.

If you cared to do a little research you would have known that even before travel was banned, Chinese visitors had to present a "certificate of good health" to apply for a Thai visa. This requirement was put in place in February.

What it comes down to is, will there be a temporary "travel bubble" most likely lasting just a few weeks or so, with select countries, after which travel re-opens to the rest of the world, or will they wait until a certain date and let in everyone? Although a travel bubble could work, I think it may be fraught with difficulty if they start applying certain rules like: citizens of certain countries can't come, even if they are flying in from those countries with which a travel bubble exists. For example, a US citizen arriving from China may not be admitted under such a proposal, never mind said traveler may have been in China since March.

• Like 1