Rhodes Must Fall - Oxford protesters target statue of colonialist

webfact

57 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Surely that's the whole point of democracy. An elected council had not bowed to a minority who wanted the statue removed. 

And that elected council really dropped the ball didn't they?

Rather than have a respectful removal of the offending statue it was pulled down.

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Rather than have a respectful removal of the offending statue it was pulled down.

I do believe that there was a lot of local opposition to the statue being removed and thus it wasnt removed 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

They should probably remove double yellow lines at the unsafe places where people are going to park, as well.

I think it’s great that we remove these statues, so that we are not reminded who funded the prosperity of our cities. We can kid ourselves that we were always broad-minded liberals, and only foreigners, Americans and foreign dictatorships prospered from slavery and oppression.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

India is going to hold the UK over a barrel in any trade talks.

They will, and interestingly in part because of the legacy of suffering under the British empire. Much of modern Indian, and Chinese, nationalism is founded on the antagonism against the British empire.

"With their creation myths built on humiliation at the hands of perfidious Albion, it is very unlikely that China or India will ever agree to a trade deal with the UK on anything but the most punitive terms."

https://www.ft.com/content/224109be-6763-11ea-800d-da70cff6e4d3

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 10:33 AM, Thailand said:

The world has gone nuts .

I put it down to Pandemic panic .

Indeed , the world has gone nuts ..

1 minute ago, kingdong said:

And there was me thinking it was that geezer who shot an Apple off his sons head.

Or maybe William of Orange.  Any fruit will do.

You'll have the capital-fasc-ists on to you for capitalising apple there, by the way

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

With their creation myths built on humiliation at the hands of perfidious Albion, it is very unlikely that China or India will ever agree to a trade deal with the UK on anything but the most punitive terms."

I think that in today's political climate, you will find that the Indian democratic government has a far bigger dislike of the Chinese than the Bwitish. The Bwitish Empah oversaw the building of the framework that the modern India has used to succeed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

I think that in today's political climate, you will find that the Indian democratic government has a far bigger dislike of the Chinese than the Bwitish. The Bwitish Empah oversaw the building of the framework that the modern India has used to succeed.

Debt*1 is no precursor to gratitude
*1 My apologies that my words fail me.  Maybe "benefit" would be a better word

8 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I'm not so sure. Yes the British built marvellous things in India, but they also caused famines and Churchill's verdict "It's the fault of the beastly Indians, they breed like rabbits" is probably not forgotten in India.

Either way the trade talks with the EU, a much more important trading partner for India, 115 billion US$ of trade, as opposed to merely 21 billion US$ with the UK, have been going since 2007. And the UK will make exactly the same demands as the EU.

However you do not really a beat an Indian in negotiation anymore. Even the US found it very hard going to deal with India in their trade talks. 

"Duties on automobiles, engineering goods, agriculture, wine and spirits and dairy products that were among the prickly issues in negotiations with the US are expected to remain so with the Europeans and British. "

"The problem with targeting trade pacts in these days of slowdowns and tariff walls is that neither side is willing to look beyond their own self-interest and the give and take normal in such deals is very difficult to arrive at," pointed out Prof Biswajit Dhar of JNU, former Head, Centre for WTO Studies, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/business/2020/feb/22/holy-cows-in-the-way-as-india-eyes-free-trade-pacts-with-uk-and-eu-2107098.html

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I'm not so sure. Yes the British built marvellous things in India, but they also caused famines and Churchill's verdict "It's the fault of the beastly Indians, they breed like rabbits" is probably not forgotten in India.

Either way the trade talks with the EU, a much more important trading partner for India, 115 billion US$ of trade, as opposed to merely 21 billion US$ with the UK, have been going since 2007. And the UK will make exactly the same demands as the EU.

However you do not really a beat an Indian in negotiation anymore. Even the US found it very hard going to deal with India in their trade talks. 

"Duties on automobiles, engineering goods, agriculture, wine and spirits and dairy products that were among the prickly issues in negotiations with the US are expected to remain so with the Europeans and British. "

"The problem with targeting trade pacts in these days of slowdowns and tariff walls is that neither side is willing to look beyond their own self-interest and the give and take normal in such deals is very difficult to arrive at," pointed out Prof Biswajit Dhar of JNU, former Head, Centre for WTO Studies, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/business/2020/feb/22/holy-cows-in-the-way-as-india-eyes-free-trade-pacts-with-uk-and-eu-2107098.html

Winston Churchill was right, India now has 1,300,000,000 inhabitants............????

The UK still invests in India and it is suggested that in 10 years time will be a world financial major player. India even has nuclear weapons, not bad eh, for a country that folk think GB let down..

GB were feeding India huge amounts of aid until 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, transam said:

Winston Churchill was right, India now has 1,300,000,000 inhabitants............????

The UK still invests in India and it is suggested that in 10 years time will be a world financial major player. India even has nuclear weapons, not bad eh, for a country that folk think GB let down..

GB were feeding India huge amounts of aid until 

Economists have looked at this question and found that the UK has extracted 45 Trillion US$ from India. This is not counting the damage and cost the British inflicted with famines, wars, and getting Indian men to fight in their world wars.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/britain-stole-45-trillion-india-181206124830851.html

So if the UK extracted 45 trillion USD from India the UK aid to India, when it was still paying aid, of less than 1% of Indian GDP is but a drop of water on a hot stone. It has not contributed significantly to India's GDP.

In fact one would have to say that what India achieved, it achieved despite the UK extracting 45 Trillion USD, rather than because of UK help.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

Economists have looked at this question and found that the UK has extracted 45 Trillion US$ from India. This is not counting the damage and cost the British inflicted with famines, wars, and getting Indian men to fight in their world wars.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/britain-stole-45-trillion-india-181206124830851.html

So if the UK extracted 45 trillion USD from India the UK aid to India, when it was still paying aid, of less than 1% of Indian GDP is but a drop of water on a hot stone. It has not contributed significantly to India's GDP.

In fact one would have to say that what India achieved, it achieved despite the UK extracting 45 Trillion USD, rather than because of UK help.

Were you the economist....?

How much does the USA owe the native Indians....?