Rhodes Must Fall - Oxford protesters target statue of colonialist

webfact

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Another one who spouts yet has no idea what his forefathers got up too....????

And how do you make that logical leap?

That is la la land thinking.

You can know history, understand what happened and see the unforgivable wrongness of aspects of it.

You actually need to know history [and you need to study up on it] to know what needs to be done to right the wrongs of the past.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

False comparison. I see them more as museums. And I'd put a lot of these statues in the fantastic slavery museum in Liverpool to keep them on show as reminders not in celebration.
Would you support statues of Hitler as a memorial to the Holocaust?

There are many memorials of the Holocaust.....????

18 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

What you mean scholarships funded by money that came from exploiting, enslaving and destroying civilisations that existed prior to rhodes arrival?

Tell you what, if the uk makes reparations and, at an index linked level, pay back all that was stolen through the years of occupation, you may have a point.

If they are principled and care about the source of their scholarship, they should pay it back. Lets wait and see.......(hypocrites)

You'd have thought being educated people they would have realized who Rhodes was, or did they really care and preferred to take the 'free bees' hoping no one notices....

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So go home then, if you don't like it. take advantage of the superior education facilities there ( sarcasm alert ). You are a guest in Britain, and have no right to protest anything except the quality of your education.

Listen up all you guys who regularly bleat on about Thailand. 

The last thing we want is hypocrisy. ????

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sungod said:

If they are principled and care about the source of their scholarship, they should pay it back. Lets wait and see.......(hypocrites)

You'd have thought being educated people they would have realized who Rhodes was, or did they really care and preferred to take the 'free bees' hoping no one notices....

Tell you what, once the UK pays back, at index linked levels, what the stole, then you make that 'request'.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheDark said:

If there is statues of Hitler, I think those should be removed asap. Don't you think so?

and  Mohammed and ghenghis khan

No I  think Hitler  should remain, its  history, it may be unpleasant history but lest we  forget

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Tell you what, once the UK pays back, at index linked levels, what the stole, then you make that 'request'.

UK wont pay back.

What about the scholars, will they? Or will they be hypocrites. Its all their choice. Lets see how principled they are.

1 minute ago, bodga said:

Itll be paid  back once the  Romans have paid us  back

Fine by me, just as long as you accept that the rhodes scholarship puts zero obligation on anyone to respect statues of those who participated in slavery and the devastation of large parts of the world.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

UK wont pay back.

What about the scholars, will they? Or will they be hypocrites. Its all their choice. Lets see how principled they are.

As I said, pay back what was stolen and then make that claim.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bodga said:

and  Mohammed and ghenghis khan

No I  think Hitler  should remain, its  history, it may be unpleasant history but lest we  forget

I wonder where you can find statues of Mohammed?

Of course now that the UK has admitted its horrible guilt presumably reparations will be paid by the UK to the descendants of those brutalised by Cecil Rhodes and his associates?

How many billions has the UK set aside for reparations to Africa, Malaysia, India, the Middle East?

Has anyone calculated the bill yet?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The UK can pay it back when the white farmers of Zimbabwe that were dispossessed by government thugs are compensated and those that were murdered have their murderers convicted and jailed.

I don't recall defending that in any of my posts, I must have missed it when I did, please let me know where I did...

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, sungod said:

A week ago these people didn't know who the statues are, what they represented. They didn't know why buildings, places were named after certain people, thats how much they cared. Now its cool to protest over people you never heard of before, sheep the lot of em...........

Nah. Sheep are more intelligent.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Difference is we don't behave like thugs and hooligans demonstrating in the streets and destroying things.

No one is saying that they can't have an opinion in private or on an internet forum that the locals don't read.

I was under the impression that these forums do get read by people in Authority. 

Sounds like they just got a bit more spunk and would actually rather do something about it than just bleat about it. 

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Of course now that the UK has admitted its horrible guilt presumably reparations will be paid by the UK to the descendants of those brutalised by Cecil Rhodes and his associates?

How many billions has the UK set aside for reparations to Africa, Malaysia, India, the Middle East?

Trillions more like.

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

First, you calculate German's reparation.....Can you...?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I was under the impression that these forums do get read by people in Authority. 

Sounds like they just got a bit more spunk and would actually rather do something about it than just bleat about it. 

no, they just  have less  control, many a  time Id  like to go out and  beat something up.

• Like 1