After military opens door, Trump rejects removing names of Confederate leaders from U.S. bases

webfact

59 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Orange Kool Aid today?

Finally I agree with something Trump has decided (or hasn't or may be has or I don't know, but possibly) but not the way he has put the message across. 

Like them or not these Generals were part of a history that is still raw  today. I did a Battlefield Tour of Gettysburg with the US War College a number of years back and it was an emotional experience for some of the US Army guys. Lee was actually going to be the Union Commander until he put Virginia first and sided withe the Confederacy. There were good and bad generals on both sides. Having the bases named after them does not glorify them it just reflects their place in history. To be honest 99% of the public probably doesn't know who they were anyway.

And what historical connection do any of these generals have with these military bases? In fact, the reason that these bases got the names they did was because the military needed big tracts of land to build them on. These bases were given their names after WW1 and WW2.  To placate the local bigots who ran things down South, they gave them the right to choose the names of the bases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, seajae said:

if they want to remove all vestiges of slavery then the democrats need to be removed as well as they were the party that wanted slaves and they started the KKK, the republicans were formed to stop slavery but all this seems to be ignored by blm and all those against slavery as it doesnt fit their political bias

By all means remove any commemoration of Democrats who supported slavery. Don't think the modern Democrat party would have any problem with that. Republicans are more likely to since their rise in the South began with Republican Presidential candidate Barry Goldwater's opposition to the 63 Civil Rights Bill.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

kool-aid is not a newly-discovered product.  how many of you truly believe the civil war was fought over slavery?

really?  how many of those 620,000 union soldiers laid down their lives to free their brothers of colour so that their compatriots could treat them little better than slaves upon their return home?  the winners get to write the history books, so of course it was all to free the slaves from the nasty, evil southerners. 

will be confusing when we get more talk about reparations.  how do we handle the black descendants of black slave owners?  do they get reparations for being black, or do they pay reparations for their black ancestors owning other blacks?

by the way, who was the first slave owner in the us?

Most went to preserve the union. Why did the south leave? So they could continue owning slaves & they saw Lincoln the abolitionist winning presidency as writing on the wall that sooner or later slavery would end. Lincoln did say early on that if south had to keep slavery that might be acceptable if it preserved union. But people evolve in their ideas and beliefs... it's called growth.

"For 110 years, the numbers stood as gospel: 618,222 men died in the Civil War, 360,222 from the North and 258,000 from the South — by far the greatest toll of any war in American history." Those numbers are low, if you accept new estimates. Also estimated 36,000 blacks died in the war. Your numbers are way way off... https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/civil-war-toll-up-by-20-percent-in-new-estimate.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seajae said:

if they want to remove all vestiges of slavery then the democrats need to be removed as well as they were the party that wanted slaves and they started the KKK, the republicans were formed to stop slavery but all this seems to be ignored by blm and all those against slavery as it doesnt fit their political bias

Solved! No slaves - no BLM movement - no complaints.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Orange Kool Aid today?

Finally I agree with something Trump has decided (or hasn't or may be has or I don't know, but possibly) but not the way he has put the message across. 

Like them or not these Generals were part of a history that is still raw  today. I did a Battlefield Tour of Gettysburg with the US War College a number of years back and it was an emotional experience for some of the US Army guys. Lee was actually going to be the Union Commander until he put Virginia first and sided withe the Confederacy. There were good and bad generals on both sides. Having the bases named after them does not glorify them it just reflects their place in history. To be honest 99% of the public probably doesn't know who they were anyway.

Well, you may be surprised to find there are others who support this strongly who are diametrically opposed to both Trump and what the Confederacy represented. I'd recommend listening to the view of Sir Geoffrey Palmer of the UK - there was a good and long interview with him I saw two days ago but can't seem to find. His view is that the statues indeed do represent history and that history is important and needs to be learned from to guide people to lessons. Instead he proposes installing new plaques that describe clearly what the people did, both good and bad, the context within which it was done etc. That seems a pretty good compromise to me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Pathetic revisionism by pc ne're-do-wells. Stop trying to Vanilla-rise everything.  What's next?  alter the history books?

only Whites can be racist?  oh wait...

Tell the military, they ate open to the idea. Must be the pc military.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

The Democrat leadership in an attempt at mass virtue signal have gotten themselves admonished for wearing the Kente cloth.

The cloth comes from an African tribe that itself was a massive slaver.

Oh how shocking. Are you being pc.

Did you see the bible going up in flames as trump held it upside down after gassing people so he could get a photoshoot.

I didnt see the dems doing that for their photoshoot.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Oh how shocking. Are you being pc.

Did you see the bible going up in flames as trump held it upside down after gassing people so he could get a photoshoot.

I didnt see the dems doing that for their photoshoot.

to quote you guys - whataboutism

and they are being admonished by the Left, not by me

Edited by DoctorG
added
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

No just good sense - for once

I can't see any sense in this symbolism, most people wouldn't even know who they were anyway considering that many Americans couldn't even write in the names of the states on a blank map of the USA but if it would help to lower tensions why not, it's only a name. I hope that Trump will soon be gone with the wind

• Haha 1