Thais Only: Bus companies, Bangkok temple bans foreigners citing COVID-19 restrictions

webfact

41 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

No! I'm informed.

And there's me thinking it was Jesuitism.

Easy mistake to make.

They both end in -ism. There's a lot of '-isms' flying around at the moment.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mr mr said:

good thing my thai wife and son worked their baws off for 5 years to gain canadian citizenship eh ? 

Maybe. Maybe not.

China always recognizes the original nationality of ethnic Chinese, even if they obtained Canadian citizenship. China can prevent these people from leaving China, and really doesn't care if the Govt of Canada makes a demarche.

It's always wise to consider the unthinkable and plan accordingly.

• Like 1

Only yesterday we had yet another guy on here on Tvisa joining the chorus if I am asked to 'sign anything I just sign Mickey Mouse'

We have seen many who constantly state mask wearing is useless and refuse to conform

We have seen those stating when entering shops they refuse to give a contact number or write a nonsense number

All failing to consider that new outbreaks of infections in Thailand are slated as being mostly from abroad, showing no consideration for the efforts of their Thai hosts to contain the virus, and showing little consideration for Thai people and their concerns given the current reputation of foreigners being a major risk

Now bleating because they 'reap what they sow' having behaved like errant and awkward children

The spotlight has been on the foreigners from the first reported and continued imported outbreaks, and what does the foreigner do to alleviate Thai concerns, complain and blatantly refuse to follow instruction!!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Richard Barrow, the same guy that was posting a couple of pictures of army trucks and telling everyone there was another coup happening.

This is nothing more than a temple closed to tourists for renovation, its closed to "all" tourists, its still open for Thais to visit as a temple, to pray, to make merit etc. Foreigners visit a temple as tourists, Thai visit a temple as Buddhists.

As The OP quotes Richard Barrow:

Richard later tweeted that a message posted on the Wat Pho Facebook page that said foreigners had not been permitted entry for their own safety and that the temple had been closed to tourists due to restoration work which is currently taking place.

Thais dont need to worry about their safety?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Walker88 said:

Racism is a winning formula, especially when there is underlying fear. It has always worked, even in democracies. Populist leaders count on it, use it, abuse it, depend on it to gain and hold power.

It's never logical but usually effective. An opportunistic and racist leadership could use the general level of CV-19 fear to ban all farangs, kick out all the retirees, prohibit Thai wives and mixed kids from leaving to accompany their banned husband, etc. There's family separation now and few seem to care.

Maybe it's unlikely, but it is possible. Few would have thought a year ago that:

-Govt owned transportation companies would ban foreigners

-Husbands and fathers of Thais would be prohibited from entering Thailand

-Foreigners with visas and permission to reside would be prohibited from entering Thailand

All have come to pass.

Those foreigners who think they are safely ensconced in Thailand and who think nothing of banning entry to other foreigners may well be disabused of their safety notion if certain forces within the current leadership get their druthers.

It's always about creating fear and the the govt protecting you. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Things could possibly change for the better once the new and younger, well educated opposition movement rises to power

That would take a civil war. Almost impossible unless the hinges really came off. There is a lot more too it than just the military. Think! But the general consensus is the Thai people are way tired of something now as things have changed and there is a lack of love and respect for......

6 minutes ago, Sujo said:

What are you talking about. There is no covid issue in thailand. The powers that be keep telling us that.

How many foreigners have tested positive. How many thais?

I'll tell you what I am talking about, stupidly providing ammunition, then complain when when people start firing on you - when the best alternative option is to behave like a responsible adult!

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, kimberizi said:

Personally Im affronted with the racism against foreigners. Face masks are not required in public places only when you enter a business as far as I know. Its a slippery slope. At some point in the future I believe that the government will change the property ownership laws and disenfranchise all foreigners that currently own property. When you start down this discrimination path and see little or no resistance then they become more bold and before you know it the gig is up.

Correct. 

26 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

China always recognizes the original nationality of ethnic Chinese, even if they obtained Canadian citizenship. China can prevent these people from leaving China, and really doesn't care if the Govt of Canada makes a demarche.

It's always wise to consider the unthinkable and plan accordingly.

sure is. a backpack the cover of night and a border run rio grande style to a neighboring countries canadian embassy should do the trick nice.

ps... we are talking about thailand right ? china is a little north of here.  

3 minutes ago, mr mr said:

sure is. a backpack the cover of night and a border run rio grande style to a neighboring countries canadian embassy should do the trick nice.

ps... we are talking about thailand right ? china is a little north of here.  

Yes, but the students do learn from their teachers.

20 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Thais dont need to worry about their safety?

Of course not, they should have bought the right amulet to protect them. That's why they probably rode there on their motorbike, all 3 of them on the one bike, no helmets of course.

9 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

So only Thai people can be Buddhists? What if a Burmese worker living here wanted to go and pray at the temple? 

Imagine a religious attraction in a country in the west saying something similar? No chance. 

This whole issue could have be solved if they just had a sign that said the temple is only open for visitors wanting to pray. 

I can imagine a similar closing of a religious attraction, years ago I visited St Peters in the Vatican and it was closed to tourists for renovation and only open to attend mass.

• Confused 1