Should we replace the big electric box?

bbabythai

We have been doing renos on a building and started at the top floor (4th) and worked our way down. For the 3rd and 4th floor we did new electrical wiring with 3 socket power points etc. On both floors I bought a new small elec box with 9 breakers and safety cut thing. 

Now we are working on the ground and 2nd floor. The box in the photos is on the 2nd floor. All old wires in the ceilings of these 2 floors have been pulled out. The question is should we bother to replace the old dinosaur box. The electrician says its still ok and has safety cut etc. He plans to do copper ground rod in the soil outside and connect all floors to this. I think its big money to buy a new big elec box to replace this old one. 

We plan to rent the building and maybe move into it in 6 to 7 yrs. 

Should we keep the existing box or put in a new one considering that ALL wiring on every floor will be new - except the wires that run along the ceiling (inside a round pipe) that lead to the mains meter box outside. Thats the only wiring that we will not touch

thanks

IMG_9628.jpg

IMG_9629.jpg

IMG_9630.jpg

100A 3-phase supply, suit a small factory ????

Personally, I agree with your sparks, if the Safe-T-Cut tests out OK it will be fine. A bit of tidying wouldn't hurt but it doesn't look hazardous.

It's not entirely clear from the photos how the Safe-T-Cut is wired and what it protects. Do the new boxes on the other floors include RCD/RCBOs (earth leakage protection), post a couple of photos if you don't know.

Pop the door off and give it all a clean and lick of paint and it will be good for a goodly while.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 1:43 PM, Crossy said:

100A 3-phase supply, suit a small factory ????

Personally, I agree with your sparks, if the Safe-T-Cut tests out OK it will be fine. A bit of tidying wouldn't hurt but it doesn't look hazardous.

It's not entirely clear from the photos how the Safe-T-Cut is wired and what it protects. Do the new boxes on the other floors include RCD/RCBOs (earth leakage protection), post a couple of photos if you don't know.

Pop the door off and give it all a clean and lick of paint and it will be good for a goodly while.

HI there, I wanted to ask about the blue light being off in the above photo. Why is that? What does it mean and is it normal?

This big old elec box is on the 2nd floor and is the main box. On the ground floor we paid for a newer smaller elec box to be installed doing all the lights/ appliances on the ground floor. All 3 lights are on. 

After they had finished all the wiring I turned all on lights on all floors and all air cons to test everything. After an hr or so I thought I heard a strange noise like a pop coming from inside the roof. But cant be sure. Is the only way for me to test the entire system is to repeat this? ie turn on everything for a few hours everyday? Just want to be sure its all safe before we rent it out. 

thanks

6 hours ago, bbabythai said:

HI there, I wanted to ask about the blue light being off in the above photo. Why is that? What does it mean and is it normal?

The lights show the active power status of each of the 3 phase lines as they come from the transformer and enter your distribution box. The "blue" light being out is probably because it's burned out (otherwise it would indicate that phase line being 'down, open, off, not working, etc. 

6 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Is the only way for me to test the entire system is to repeat this? ie turn on everything for a few hours everyday? Just want to be sure its all safe before we rent it out. 

If you really want to 'test' it maybe have someone with a digital clamp meter check each phase in turn to see if you have any unknown usage ...

- all breakers off

- breakers on a phase energized one by one

- all breakers on

- and heavy equipment (AirCons) running (these may be 3-phase units)

...to look at power draw and see if it tallies with the printed sticker or metal plate amperage/Wattage labels.

There are actual LINE TESTS using specialized testing equipment that could be done but these are best performed by qualified/licensed electrical technicians or engineers and are generally reserved for massive power projects.

Otherwise, hearing a 'bang' would at least suggest a visual inspection of the wiring and equipment power components is in order (where practical).

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with the box, but it is metal. You are planning on having ground. Dont know if the other boxes are also metal, but all metal boxes should be grounded. You have a ground wire or ground bar on the metal chassis. Make sure the ground is proper installed otherwise you have fake ground protection. Some months ago in Thailand, a boy died because the metal case was not grounded (properly?)

I do see on the "old box" a ground bar fitted on its chassis.

I see, i think as I enlarged the photo, the incoming wire (feed) is absolutely not nice fitted.

It is amazing to see they used connection material on the bottom side of the 100A cb, but not on the top ( the incoming). It looks lousy.

If you do have the chance, fit it in good way with proper right size insulated connection material (like on pic, guess you know those things) of course with the right plier for it. 

However power has to be off from that cable.

On the outgoing lines, somehow they then used connection material, replace the connection material for new ones, insulated.

Not as on pic shows with a blank connection material wrapped in tape.

Also you see the wiring seems to be "flanged" together and covered in tape.

Remove it and make total new lines with the proper insulated connection material. However power has to be off from that cable.

Clipboard01.jpg

I see that the safety cut is an old unit. I can not see well by your photo, but you can look back of the panel and if the selector switch is an old type (not a covered selector, contacts are visible) then you need to buy a "electronic contact cleaner (spray)" and wash the dirt off the contacts. The reason I suggest this is you shall have some strange unknown source electrical problems due to the age (humidity and dirt) of the panel, caused by that "selector switch". 
You need to turn off the main then spray the selector switch contacts while turning the switch all the way back and fort at least 5 times to ensure that dirt and oxidation is gone.