Anyone opened a bank account recently without a work permit?

47 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

nope, that is the one bank that asked for WP !

well, another bank said:  are you on the blue book, no, so no account for you

what farang is in the blue book .....ZERO

when you quote, plse do NOT cut off words, no good. Starting that quote you made above was;

"For me, here, it is Bangkok Bank that is the best without any doubt.

I guess different areas, different employees,, and therefore different rules... Blue book?? Any chance you did missunderstood???? Maybe they said the yellow tabien baan, like they do here!!!

glegolo

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:

ICBC (Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited) in Hat Yai, passport only, last week, and the best interest rates whatsoever.

I'm interested .. can you post some more info .. do they have a fixed account?

I will head down there tomorrow.  

1 hour ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

nope, that is the one bank that asked for WP !

well, another bank said:  are you on the blue book, no, so no account for you

what farang is in the blue book .....ZERO

Those with PR status.

Permanent residents.

8 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I'm interested .. can you post some more info .. do they have a fixed account?

I will head down there tomorrow.  

Sure, lets hear it.

Branch location and name of contact person at bank.

My guess is you will get no additional info.

3 hours ago, laochef said:

A year ago, I opened an account with K-bank in Phetchabon ( a branch at Tesco). I had NO visa, just visa-exempt stamp. They copied only the PP data page, I deposited 100K, they charged 600 Baht for the ATM. In/out in under 10 minutes. (I transfered in 800K a week later, for a retirement visa). 5 months ago, I opened a 2nd account (for daily expenses), same-same procedure, in/out in 10 minutes, still on visa-exempt.

Oh really.

Just curious why you came in on Visa exempt if you have a retirement Visa?

17 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sure, lets hear it.

Branch location and name of contact person at bank.

My guess is you will get no additional info.

I already know where it is, about 15 mins from my house, so no great loss in swinging down there.

I am a little unsure about the idea of depositing money in a Chinese bank tho' 

On 6/20/2020 at 1:55 PM, Okis said:

The staff either havent been updated on requirements or are just too lazy for the paperwork.

In bangkok most offices will open one without hassle because they are used to foreigners opening saving accounts. 

I was there when getting the papers done for our marriage and dropped by some banks to check if i could open one but i was told i would have additional fees using the ATM because the account wasnt opened in our homeprovince so waited until we got back home.  

And when back again in our province they refused to open one until i insisted and politely told them to call their own callcenter to get updated on the current requirements. 

I guess you haven't read up on the new official requirements from early last year at K-Bank to open a simple Savings account. Foreigners are not allowed to open an account. Period! But, at several branches you can still do it when having a wp or a retirement visa. Several thai banks did the same last year. Bangkok Banks requirements are the same as usual and is imo the bank where it's really easy to open an account for a foreigner. Their website is in English and the requirements for a Savings account is hard not to meet. 

1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Which bank would be happy about opening an account for someone on a technical overstay, regardless of current circumstances?  The bank has no idea whether you qualify for the amnesty, neither is it their obligation to find out.  Whenever a new account is opened one of the things that the banks have to check is that the applicant has a current visa.

I was simply stating what they asked for, IO had no knowledge of and what they said they could do was going to be an enormous pain in the neck.

Perhaps you can tell me why when I had a valid visa in March and an existing account, they refused to open a new account because the US passport that I had opened the account with 6 years ago had expired and despite the numerous stamps in my current passport, they wouldn't accept it? Good enough for immigration control, but not Bangkok Bank, who have shown me these last 3 months that they should be the last option.

Edited by w94005m

2 hours ago, MangoPineappleBanana said:

It might be asking a lot but can you list out kasikorn/krungsri/bangkok bank's? I cant find any of them.

Kasikorn

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Account/Pages/savings.aspx

Krung Sri

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/FAQs/FaqsPersonal.html#FAQLink139

Bangkok Bank

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Of these, Bangkok Bank is the clearest and easiest.

Krung Thai bank on the outskirts of BKK, near the school I recently began working for. Lovely staff, a little English. Can't get my work permit yet, because can't get the Non-B yet. My school wrote them a lovely letter saying I've been hired and they're working on it. Then they photocopied my passport. But, this visa is from back in March they said. My wife then told them oh, but now he has CORONA VISA! Haha. Took about 45 mins of paperwork and a little chit chat, then walked out with my new book bank and ATM card, with their new na rak mak little birdie mascots on it.

SCB where I have an account holding the 800k retirement money refused to open another account saying foreigners could only hold one account.

Went next door to the K Bank and opened an account no problems.

I have opened accounts with SCB and KTB.  They always ask for a work permit first.  If you have a problem you can do 2 things, ask them to call the main office or try another branch.

Just a note: KTB for me as an American would not pay interest.  They didn't want to deal with the extra paperwork required by the USA.

46 minutes ago, lujanit said:

SCB where I have an account holding the 800k retirement money refused to open another account saying foreigners could only hold one account.

I have a regular savings account and a fixed deposit account with SCB.  I also used to have a joint one with the wife.

The old different branch different rules thing I guess.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Oh really.

Just curious why you came in on Visa exempt if you have a retirement Visa?

He clearly said that he transferred the money for a retirement visa one week later. So it makes perfect sense that he needed to open a bank account first.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

ICBC (Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited) in Hat Yai, passport only, last week, and the best interest rates whatsoever.

What interest rate did you get and for what type of account?

12 hours ago, billsmart said:

I just opened a joint savings account with my Thai wife at Bangkok Bank in Phetchabun about a month ago. I have a Type-O visa and no work permit.

It is possibly easier to open a joint account than an account in your (foreigner) name only. The latter is a requirement for some extension of stay stamps. I tried to open a second savings account with SCB (based on retirement extension of stay) but no joy as also alluded by a poster above.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, rwill said:

Just a note: KTB for me as an American would not pay interest.  They didn't want to deal with the extra paperwork required by the USA.

That's very odd (or maybe they're just using it as an excuse). As far as I know, the paperwork they have to do for accounts held by Americans is the same regardless of whether interest is paid - I think the only extra reporting comes if the balance in your account exceeds a certain (rather large) amount.

22 hours ago, kekalot said:

I have an account with Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn, neither required a work permit (I never had a work permit)

for Bangkok Bank at least (and maybe others), you can have a Thai national vouch for you,

all I had was my passport and my friend who signed some paperwork and they copied her ID

Kasikorn, same deal but the paperwork was sent to me via Thai Elite (it was a thing they offered to help with), the only difference in that one was that I needed to do a 20,000 baht deposit which I wasn't told about and didn't have cash on me.

made me return once I had the money, I just called my friend, got her to transfer into my BKK bank, cashed it out, brought it to Kasikorn, made account, took the 20,000 baht and then transferred the money back to my friend 15 minutes later

without the 20,000? hard no. they wouldn't budge. so a bit of red tape but otherwise not really difficult.

So i assume you pay insurance in bank? Look like your "friend" is beneficiary on that if go sign papers for you!

Many banks offer insurance when you open account. My friend had to get one before can open.

You not say how much was opening fee in there.

Or maybe im wrong ......... usually not .

Edited by 2 is 1

16 hours ago, Caldera said:

He clearly said that he transferred the money for a retirement visa one week later. So it makes perfect sense that he needed to open a bank account first.

Did you read it? He claimed he opened another account several months later again on Visa exempt.

I would challenge anyone who claims they opened a recent account with a passport Visa exempt only, to provide the name of the bank, the branch location, and name of contact person.

Again, no other documents needed just a passport/exempt.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi everyone,

This might be an obvious question but I'm just starting the process of applying for a marriage visa and am a bit lost as to how I can satisfy the requirement of having 400k in a Thai bank account.

It seems like a chicken-and-egg situation; I must have 400k in a Thai bank account to get the visa but to open an account in the first place, I need to have a visa (or even a work permit). Knowing how difficult arranging *anything* official which involves government or banks can be in Thailand, I'm already discouraged before even starting the process.

Apart from looking for a bank who is willing to open an account for me, does anyone have any experience with this specific situation?

Also, I'm not planning to get a work permit in Thailand because I own a company registered outside of Thailand which provides my income. Does that mean it is virtually impossible for me to have a simple thing as a Thai bank account?

23 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

But, is it on the list acceptable to Thai Immigration?  That is of great importance to many.  

3 minutes ago, moontang said:

But, is it on the list acceptable to Thai Immigration?  That is of great importance to many.  

I've never seen anything that says you can and can't use certain banks. Yes I have seen people report issues with some offices around lack of a passbook and the date of a letter, but never have I seen anything that says people were refused because they use a certain bank. Would be worth checking it out for sure.

27 minutes ago, AlexxT said:

Hi everyone,

This might be an obvious question but I'm just starting the process of applying for a marriage visa and am a bit lost as to how I can satisfy the requirement of having 400k in a Thai bank account.

It seems like a chicken-and-egg situation; I must have 400k in a Thai bank account to get the visa but to open an account in the first place, I need to have a visa (or even a work permit). Knowing how difficult arranging *anything* official which involves government or banks can be in Thailand, I'm already discouraged before even starting the process.

Apart from looking for a bank who is willing to open an account for me, does anyone have any experience with this specific situation?

Also, I'm not planning to get a work permit in Thailand because I own a company registered outside of Thailand which provides my income. Does that mean it is virtually impossible for me to have a simple thing as a Thai bank account?

Where are you located..the more specific, the better answer you will get.  Every city seems to have one or two BBL branches that accommodate foreigners.  Yes, Catch 22 is more common than a soi dog, here.  Lost count of how many blobs I have told that my visa has "employment prohibited," stamped on it, so there is zero chance of me holding a WP.  They don't understand that there are many younger looking people that are in various forms of retirement.  TMB is the one that was most stubborn about WP...might explain their poor performance, overall.  OTOH, expect someone to chime in with multiple TMB accounts..

2 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

I've never seen anything that says you can and can't use certain banks. Yes I have seen people report issues with some offices around lack of a passbook and the date of a letter, but never have I seen anything that says people were refused because they use a certain bank. Would be worth checking it out for sure.

They have to be a member of the deposit insurance agency.  There is a specific list, make no mistake.  https://www.baac.or.th/baac_en/

Not approved..